• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Underground network closures Xmas - NY 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

gareth950

Can someone please direct me to where it's possible to find out the full details of Underground network closures between Christmas and New Year 2017-18? I live in Cardiff and am planning on visiting relatives in Chelmsford. Cardiff --> Paddington trains are fine, but getting across London looks tricky and I can only go as far as mid-November on the TfL journey planner.

I know that Liverpool Street --> Ingatestone on the GEML is closed and that buses are being provided Newbury Park --> Ingatestone.
I can't seem to find any info about what Tube lines will be open and how I can get on the Tube from Paddington --> Newbury Park. If the Bakerloo and Central lines are open, then Bakerloo line Paddington --> Oxford Circus, followed by Central line Oxford circus --> Newbury Park might be possible.
Or as I'm not a fan of the deep tube lines, preferably Hammersmith & City: Paddington --> Mile End, then Central: Mile End --> Newbury Park?
I can't find any info confirming this though.

Thanks in advance :smile:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lrd

Established Member
Just search Google for "TfL six month look ahead". They produce a PDF which I've attached to this post

Attachments

• track-closures (1).pdf
    230.2 KB · Views: 34

Dstock7080

Established Member
The District Line closure is now likely be brought forward to 24 December, instead of starting on Christmas Day.

Last edited:

MatthewRead

On Moderation
The District Line closure is now likely be brought forward to 23 December, instead of starting on Christmas Day.
Just had a look on the TFL page and there aren't any closures on the District line at all have they come to their senses and realized that there need to be 2 LU lines from Ealing Broadway during the GWML works to provide additional capacity.

MatthewRead

On Moderation
I suggest you look at the post by Lrd above which links to the TfL page showing the forthcoming closures:
http://content.tfl.gov.uk/track-closures.pdf
Yeah your right no consideration at all I thought the idea is to get people out of their cars and on to trains but what you've all been saying is encouraging the exact opposite once people see there are no GWR trains to Paddington and very little alternative routes.

matt_world2004

Established Member
There will be no service christmas day on either national rail or the tube and I dont think there is service on boxing day on national rail.

bluegoblin7

Established Member
I'm sure we had this discussion a few months ago, and the contributor didn't listen then.

Essential engineering work needs doing, both on the mainline and on the District line. One of the quietest times of the year is between Christmas and New Year. Therefore, that is the best time to do this work.

Long distance passengers won't be affected by reduced interchange at Ealing Broadway. Local passengers have numerous, viable alternative routes, including bus services to the Piccadilly line and West Ruislip branch of the Central line. The Ealing Broadway branch also has plenty of excess capacity at this time of year to hoover up those who still travel from Ealing Broadway.

You're making a ridiculous mountain out of a molehill. Alternatives exist. End of.

(And if anyone wants to know why Christmas is the best time to do the work, just look at the carnage caused earlier in the year when there were problems with the last round of crossover replacement at Earl's Court.)

LU_timetabler

District line is closed west of South Kensington from 24th December until 30th December, it will be reopened for New Year's Eve/Day 2 day service. Some Piccadilly trains will be diverted onto the local lines (district route) from west of Barons Court. There must be an effect on the Circle.

Last edited:

LU_timetabler

- no Circle Line service Edgware Road-Aldgate via Victoria. on 26-30th special service Edgware Rd-Upminster via Victoria
- special service on Northern line, closure of Kennington loop
- no Waterloo & City 24-26, 31 December.
I think that should be other way round. No circle trains on southside.

Dstock7080

Established Member
I think that should be other way round. No circle trains on southside.
on 24th I agree as posted above, no Circle Line trains Edgware Road-Aldgate via Victoria.
on 26th-30th trains Upminster- South Kensington, no Circle Line trains Edgware Road-Aldgate via Victoria.

(info edited, as plans have changed)

Last edited:

rebmcr

Established Member
on 24th I agree as posted above, no Circle Line trains Edgware Road-Aldgate via Victoria.
on 26th-30th trains will be operating Edgware Road-Upminster via Victoria. (operated by District drivers east of South Kensington and Circle/H&C drivers South Kensington-Edgware Road)

Which pool of drivers normally operate the Wimbleware services?

rebmcr

Established Member
This morning's westbound Piccadilly (fast to H123) got held just out of the Barons Court portal — driver came on the intercom and informed us that the train in front had refused a wrong route!

After a while we proceeded, and at Hammersmith the District WB track had the Rayners Lane additional stops train in it with an unhappy-looking driver stood by the cab. :(

Presumably they tried to put him on the regular Piccadilly tracks as 'normal'?

Dstock7080

Established Member
Or they considered themselves unfamiliar with the local route from Barons Court and were eventually persuaded to accept the signal and a District Line pilot from Hammersmith.

LU_timetabler

This is far more likely. The signalling is pre-programmed on a computer tape for the Earl's Court control room, so unless trains are massively out of sequence it is far more likely that the driver didn't know he was supposed to be going local lines to Acton.

rebmcr

Established Member
Wow, I would have thought that was all agreed and refreshed in advance.

I can understand exactly why that would be troubling for the driver to suddenly come across!

Status
Not open for further replies.