• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Underground zone system

Status
Not open for further replies.

387star

On Moderation
Where is a website that explains the zone system ie where each zone covers.

I went on the Underground for the first time on my own today and paid at a self service machine but could not work out the area each zone covered so bought a single instead. What would happen if you bought a ticket for zone 1 snd travelled to zone 4 would you not be able to get out?

The underground website seems a bit useless

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

34D

Established Member

I went on the Underground for the first time on my own today and paid at a self service machine but could not work out the area each zone covered so bought a single instead. What would happen if you bought a ticket for zone 1 snd travelled to zone 4 would you not be able to get out?

Suggest you download and print http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/london-rail-and-tube-services-map.pdf

If you go beyond your allowed zones you risk a penalty fare or prosecution. You might like to look into getting an oyster card.

pebbens

I also disagree. Compared with the rest of the UK, London's TfL website does a very good job at telling you about Fares (try and find this easily from bus companies...) and the Zones.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Even without a map, once you're on a train you can see from the route map what zone you are in - or going to be in.

The chances of meeting a RPI on the move is quite rare, so I'm sure that if you went over the zone(s) you had a ticket for you would stand a good chance of being able to go back (without leaving the station) without incident. Then go and buy a ticket that covers the right zones.

Or get an Oyster card and throw some credit on it, which will offer much cheaper fares and peace of mind. The credit never expires.

londonbridge

Established Member
I did encounter an RPI whilst actually on a train late last year,it was mid-morning around 10.30 or so on the Jubilee line between Green Park and Swiss Cottage. Other than that I honestly and literally cannot remember when I last had my ticket checked actually on the train between stations,must be years.

mirodo

I did encounter an RPI whilst actually on a train late last year,it was mid-morning around 10.30 or so on the Jubilee line between Green Park and Swiss Cottage. Other than that I honestly and literally cannot remember when I last had my ticket checked actually on the train between stations,must be years.

In 10 years of living in London, I've never been RPI'd on the train between stations (although I do occasionally encounter RPI staff before the barriers at my local tube station.

I was on a rare foray on the DLR last night and got checked - I don't travel on the DLR that often, but from my limited experience they seen a lot keener on carrying out checks.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Well DLR-only stations aren't barriered. Thus frequent checks are needed to keep evasion in check.

jon0844

Veteran Member
I was on a rare foray on the DLR last night and got checked - I don't travel on the DLR that often, but from my limited experience they seen a lot keener on carrying out checks.

I've seen more checks on DLR than anywhere else, but the last time someone was 'caught', the person without a valid ticket/validated Oyster simply said he was going to get off at the next stop and not pay. He wasn't followed, so it seemed rather pointless!

Bungle73

On Moderation

As has been said, there are maps at every station that show the zones (they even have them on the machines I believe), there are line maps on every train that show the zones, and there is a ton of maps on the TfL website. I'm not sure why you had a problem tbh.
In 10 years of living in London, I've never been RPI'd on the train between stations (although I do occasionally encounter RPI staff before the barriers at my local tube station.

DLR trains always have a member of staff on board. A few years ago, when I lived in London, they always used to roam the train checking tickets. I don't use the DLR that much these days so I don't know if they still do it as regular thing.

jon0844

Veteran Member
They still do, but as they can't detain passengers - they just jump off at the next stop. I wonder how many people actually stay to get a penalty fare voluntarily?

causton

Established Member
They still do, but as they can't detain passengers - they just jump off at the next stop. I wonder how many people actually stay to get a penalty fare voluntarily?

Can they not just keep the doors locked at the next station until BTP come? :P

...of course, BTP are probably far enough away that doing that will screw the entire DLR up!

mirodo

Well DLR-only stations aren't barriered. Thus frequent checks are needed to keep evasion in check.

Of course - I was doing Stratford > Bank to connect with the Northern Line, so I encountered barriers at both ends of my journey, but obviously most DLR pax are entering and exiting via unbarriered stations.

DLR trains always have a member of staff on board. A few years ago, when I lived in London, they always used to roam the train checking tickets. I don't use the DLR that much these days so I don't know if they still do it as regular thing.

Just to clarify, these were additional RPI staff rather than the CSA.

Out of interest, how frequent are the RPI checks? A friend who used to commute on the Metrolink into Manchester calculated it was still worth his while financially to never buy a ticket and take the hit of a Penalty Fare when he (rarely) encountered the checks. From my very limited experience on the DLR, I'd say I've had my ticket checked maybe 1 in 4 times - is that about right?

causton

Established Member
A friend who used to commute on the Metrolink into Manchester calculated it was still worth his while financially to never buy a ticket and take the hit of a Penalty Fare when he (rarely) encountered the checks. From my very limited experience on the DLR, I'd say I've had my ticket checked maybe 1 in 4 times - is that about right?

I have heard of people doing this on the FCC GN route... the times I encounter a revenue block are rare enough that you will see some people just throw a £20 at the RPIs and leave, as it is still cheaper than buying say 4 or 5 tickets to London and back! :P
...and late at night I never see RPIs on the trains. After about 8pm they seem to move to blocking stations.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Can they not just keep the doors locked at the next station until BTP come? :P

...of course, BTP are probably far enough away that doing that will screw the entire DLR up!

Besides BTP probably not wanting to attend, I assume there may be some other passengers wanting to get off - who won't appreciate being held on the train!!

The fact is that the attendant/guard/assistant can't get off the train and has to keep the train going so checking tickets seems pointless. S/he can confirm that many people have valid tickets, and the ones that don't simply get off. May as well just stay sitting down and only operate the doors when required!

I really cannot see what benefit there is in doing checks, as they're powerless. At least a proper revenue inspector can (and would) get off the train with the 'offender'. Now perhaps the plan is to knowingly do pointless checks, as a reminder that checks are done - and every now and then, the offender gets a surprise when it's not the CSA but a proper RPI, possibly with BTP assistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.