• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Understanding weekend "Super Off Peak Travelcard" restrictions

Status
Not open for further replies.

joncombe

This does seem a bit of a mess.

If I put Woking to London Euston into the National Rail website, for travel this Saturday (21st October) departing 7am and returning at 9pm, I get some very odd results.

http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/timesandfares/WOK/EUS/tomorrow/0700/dep/tomorrow/2100/dep

Some trains show a price of £18.40, but others are £23.00. Yet the ticket shown for the trains are both "Off Peak Travelcard".

However if you click on them, it gives different names, with the £18.40 fares being the "Super Off Peak Travelcard" and £23.00 being "Off Peak Travelcard". As an aside should you really have to hover over the tickets to find out their real name like this? Surely the front page should show the different ticket names?

However I don't think I'm crossing any sort of time barrier here.
The 07:02 train, arriving at 08:14 is £18.40. But the 07:12 also arriving at 8:14 is £23.00 and there is another train also departing at 07:12 and arriving 1 minute late, at 08:15 which is £18.40!

I realised the difference seems to be one of routing. The £18.40 trains are routed to Waterloo then via the tube to Euston (Northern line, presumably) whilst the £23.00 trains are those routed with a change at Clapham Junction, another train into London Victoria and the tube (Victoria line, presumably) from there to Euston. As a second aside, I never understand why journey planners suggest you get off a train at Clapham Junction (which is going non-stop to Waterloo) to change onto another going to Victoria when there is a direct tube connection from both Victoria and Waterloo to Euston. I can't believe, once you factor in the additional change, this is really any quicker in practice, and it certainly adds more risk and inconveniance.

So the difference in price puzzled me. Clapham Junction is already "in the zones" so Clapham to Victoria is covered by the travel card, and rail-only tickets to London Terminals are valid to Victoria too.

Checking the restrictions of the "Super Off Peak Travelcard" shows this.

Clicking through the various links on National Rail shows this is the relevant condition for a Super Off Peak Travelcard are weekends.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/ticket_types/restrictions/UR

The relevant part, the outward restrictions, is I think below.

Outward Travel Return Travel
Not valid on trains arriving: London Terminals: 09:31 – 11:59

If boarding at the stations below, not valid on trains departing:
  • London Terminals: 04:30-10:59 & 16:00-18:30
  • Vauxhall: 04:30-11:05 & 16:03-18:35
  • Queenstown Road: 04:30-11:05 & 16:03-18:35
  • Clapham Junction: 04:30-11:05 & 16:09-18:40
  • Any other station in London Zones 1-6 not listed above: 04:30-10:59.

So according to the first restriction, the ticket shoudl be valid on arriving to a London terminal at 09:30 or before (but not between 09:31 and 11:59). This should mean all the trains in my search are at the lower price.

However I think the second part might be coming into play here. There is an additional restriction that you cannot board a train at Clapham Junction between 04:30 - 11:05. So I assume that by introduction the (unneccessary) change ast Clapham Junction it bumps the price up? But should this really apply to passengers changing there or only to those starting their journey there?

Furthermore I'm confused by the bottom restriction about any station in London Zones 1-6. I am not clear if this applies only to National Rail services or if it includes the tube as well. If it includes the tube, then it means the cheaper "Super Off Peak" ticket is not actually valid for the journey I want to make until midday because of the blackout on the tube until 10:59 and the blackout on all the main London stations to 11:59. So does this bottom restriction apply only to National Rail or is it the tube and busses as well?

If it is both, it seems bizarre to sell a "travelcard" that allows you to travel into London before 9:30 but not use any other trains, tubes or busses until midday! If it doesn't than the restriciton at Vauxhall also seems rather odd. It means I could I think take a train from Woking to Vauxhall arriving before 9:30am but I then could not leave the station by train to Waterloo until 11:05 - but I could immediately transfer onto the Victoria Line to Victoria instead!

It gets further confused in that some journey planners seem to apply different rules. From what I can tell, Virgin Trains (West Coast) and Cross Country apply the same rules as National Rail (shows a mixture of cheaper and more costly trains), whilst SWR and GWR only show the "Off Peak Travelcard" as being valid on all these trains. Which leads me onto the next question. Which website is right, and which wrong? Because there really shouldnt be differences like this.

I suspect SWR and GWR are in fact overcharging by not offering the cheaper ticket at least on those trains where the routing is direct to Waterloo. What a mess! Grateful for any comments!

Was hoping to ask at the station, but the ticket office was closed (when it was due to be open) and the ticket barriers open, so the only option was the machine which, too my surprise, now just directes you to the URL of National Rail to check the restrictions there (what if you don't have a smart phone, or no signal - surely you should not have to have a connected smart phone to work out what ticket you should buy).

At the moment I have bought the cheaper ticket because it seems certain to me that it is valid into Waterloo before 09:30 (when I will be travelling) and if it is not valid on the tube, I can use contactless to get to Euston and the travel card on the way back (which is still cheaper than the "off peak travelvard")

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Starmill

Veteran Member
However I think the second part might be coming into play here. There is an additional restriction that you cannot board a train at Clapham Junction between 04:30 - 11:05. So I assume that by introduction the (unneccessary) change ast Clapham Junction it bumps the price up? But should this really apply to passengers changing there or only to those starting their journey there?

It looks like this is what's going on. It does not surprise me that the restrictions have been encoded incorrectly at all. There is no time restriction on Saturdays on the use of a 1-6 Off-Peak Day Travelcard so you will have no problems there. It's just that the journey planner is too poor to show you that correctly.

joncombe

There is no time restriction on Saturdays on the use of a 1-6 Off-Peak Day Travelcard so you will have no problems there. It's just that the journey planner is too poor to show you that correctly.

No but it's a "Super Off Peak Travelcard" that I have and it's the restrictions for that which seem confused.

Starmill

Veteran Member
If I had to make a judgement on it I would say that the restrictions in the code printed on the ticket apply to the journey between your origin and the point at which you enter the zones printed on your ticket.
This applies to the use of the actual travelcard itself:

• Off-peak Day Travelcards are valid from 09:30 (Mondays to Fridays) or at anytime on Saturdays, Sundays or Bank holidays on the day of travel (using the date printed on the ticket), and for journeys starting before 04:30 the following day

https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/ways-to-pay/travelcards

joncombe

If I had to make a judgement on it I would say that the restrictions in the code printed on the ticket apply to the journey between your origin and the point at which you enter the zones printed on your ticket.
This applies to the use of the actual travelcard itself:

https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/ways-to-pay/travelcards

Thanks yes that was my suspicion so it is nice to see at least I'm not the only one! I've never heard of a Travelcard with time limitations on Transport for London at the weekends. Though it does mean both the SWR and National Rail journey planners are getting it wrong (as the latter *should* be showing the cheaper fare on all the trains before 9:30am, which it isn't)

Starmill

Veteran Member
It is hardly the first time booking engines show restrictions which are are not correct.

One of many, many examples: tickets restricted with code JH are shown as not valid on some services in the evening by online journey planners, and yet the restriction text makes absolutely no mention of evening restrictions. The restrictions are electronically encoded very differently to the way they are textually.

emil

The restrictions on weekend super off peak are into and out of London at weekends cover Waterloo, Vauxhall
, Queenstown road and Clapham junction from SWR stations eastern region. These started under South West Trains in January 2017.
Not valid on trains arriving to London between 0931 and 1159 or leaving between 0431 and 1059 or 1600 and 1830.

BluePenguin

On Moderation
If you have an oyster or contactless card, it is cheapest to buy a ticket from Woking to London Terminals and then tap in and out on the tube. The price of a travel card is much more than the daily cap for oyster and contactless so you save a lot of money, even if you make multiple trips.

If you have already bought the travelcard and find that it doesn't work then explain the situation to a member of staff to be let in Don't tap in as well - you will have already paid the equivalent price of 5 journeys! :lol:

Starmill

Veteran Member
If you have an oyster or contactless card, it is cheapest to buy a ticket from Woking to London Terminals and then tap in and out on the tube. The price of a travel card is much more than the daily cap for oyster and contactless so you save a lot of money, even if you make multiple trips.

Woking to London Zones 1-6 Super Off-Peak Day Travelcard £18.40

Woking to London Terminals Super Off-Peak Day Return £13.80
+
Off-Peak Caps Oyster/Contactless:
Zones 1-6 £12
Zones 1-5 £11.20
Zones 1-4 £9.50
Zones 1-3 £7.70
Zones 1-2 or Zone 1 only £6.60

Thus, if the OP requires Zone 6 validity they pay £25.80 by doing this, rather than £18.40. Even if they only travel in zones 1 and 2 this will still cost £2 more.

I don't know where you got the idea that "The price of a travel card is much more than the daily cap for oyster and contactless" because even if you only travel within Zones 1-6 the cap is £12.00 and the Travelcard £12.30. Only a potential saving of 30p for someone who will reach the cap.

joncombe

I have asked National Rail Enquiries about the validity of this ticket. They have responded as below.

Thanks for your email about our website.
I was sorry to learn you are unhappy with the information displayed on your website for your journey from Woking to London Euston.
I appreciate the time you’ve taken to share your experience with us. I understand you are concerned that both the tickets are displayed as Off-Peak whilst one of these is a Super-Off-Peak ticket, and this could be misleading. I will definitely take this as feedback from you; however, this is mainly because of space limitations.
Our website offers all the possible options to complete the customer’s journey based on the inputs given by the user. As a result, the journeys via Clapham Junction are displayed as one of the option. The fare £18.40 is valid to travel only on weekends and on public holidays and on those services that arrive into London Terminals before 09:31; however, it also states that it is not valid on services departing from Clapham Junction between 04:30 and 11:05 in the morning and between 16:09 and 18:40 in the evening. As a result it is not valid to travel around 07:00 in the morning via Clapham Junction.
I’m unable to locate journeys that suggest trains from Clapham Junction to London Victoria and then on the tubes to London Euston; however, I’m pleased to let you know that you can definitely use your travelcard (1-6 zones) to travel to London Victoria or to London Waterloo, provided you follow the time restrictions.
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.
I have responded providing a link to a journey that shows the routing via Clapham Junction and also asked to confirm if the time restrictions mentioned apply to the Travelcard porition of the tickets (so within zone 1-6) and if so if they apply to all modes or just the trains. It certainly seems odd to me you would be prevented from changing at Clapham for Victoria but you could change at Vauxhall onto the tube to get there at the same time. I've never come across a Travelcard that places additional restrictions on a small number of sepcific journies as seems to be suggested here.

Starmill

Veteran Member
That email from NRE shows a breathtaking lack of understanding about how ticket restrictions and the NRE website actually works. This is unfortunately not vastly surprising. Additional restrictions are not placed on the use of the Travelcard, they are in accordance with the Travelcard Agreement and the link I posted earlier.
i.e. If you are travelling at the weekend there are no restrictions.

joncombe

That email from NRE shows a breathtaking lack of understanding about how ticket restrictions and the NRE website actually works. This is unfortunately not vastly surprising. Additional restrictions are not placed on the use of the Travelcard, they are in accordance with the Travelcard Agreement and the link I posted earlier.
i.e. If you are travelling at the weekend there are no restrictions.

Now had the following reply from National Rail Enquiries:-

Once again, I was sorry for the inconvenience caused to you due to the information displayed on our website.
I’ve looked into the journeys that change at Clapham junction and then on to London Victoria with the link you’ve provided.
As explained earlier our website offers all the possible options to complete the journey required by the user. I’ve looked into this further and understand that our Journey Planner displays services with a change at London Waterloo that offer cheaper fares (£18.40) and simultaneously offers journeys with a change at Clapham Junction. Undoubtedly, the price on these services is higher as the restriction is at Clapham Junction and not at London. You can definitely continue to stay on the train from Woking to London Waterloo and use the cheaper ticket; however, if you change trains at Clapham Junction you cannot depart between 04:30 and 11:05 in the morning and between 16:09 and 18:40 in the evening with the cheaper ticket. I've attached a couple of screen captures for your reference.
It is totally at the discretion of the user to select a cheaper ticket and travel to London or to change at Clapham Junction and follow the ticket restrictions.
I appreciate that Travelcards are is valid on all tubes, trains, trams, buses and the DLR within the zones at any time; however, if you travel on the overground trains the time restrictions are applicable, with this Super Off-Peak ticket. Therefore, you cannot use it to change trains at Clapham Junction, as it is early in the morning.

Meanwhile, if you would like to discuss your complaint over the phone, please provide your contact number and a suitable time to call. Our team is here from 09:00 to 17:00 on weekdays.
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

This is the bit that particularly irks:-

I appreciate that Travelcards are is valid on all tubes, trains, trams, buses and the DLR within the zones at any time; however, if you travel on the overground trains the time restrictions are applicable, with this Super Off-Peak ticket

There is a contradiction here that if a Travelcard is valid on all tubes, trains at any time then you can't claim there are time restrictions on using overground trains. Either there is a time restriction or there isn't. It can't be both. What can I say in response to this?

Starmill

Veteran Member
I can't think of anything that would make them understand.

They're just plain old wrong.

joncombe

I can't think of anything that would make them understand.

They're just plain old wrong.
Yes just annoys me they are telling people to buy a more expensive ticket than needed. For some trains, they are not offering the option of staying on the train to Waterloo and taking the tube from there whih they claim the cheaper ticket is valid on, but only offering a more expensive routing via Victoria. It's overcharging, simple as that.

joncombe

Just wanted to thank people here for their help.

The person I have been contacting at National Rail has suggested discussing by telephone tomorrow (which I have agreed to), however I have found the following link on South Western Trains which I think makes clear how these restrictions apply.

https://www.southwesternrailway.com/train-tickets/find-the-best-fare/weekend-super-off-peak

To quote, when going towards London.

Travel towards London Waterloo:

• Weekend Super Off-Peak tickets are not valid on trains arriving into London Waterloo and any station in London Zones 1-6 between 09:31 and 11:59.

So this suggests this ticket is valid to any stations within Zone 1 outside of 09:31 and 11:59 (so before 09:30, which is when I was travelling). Going away from London it says this

Travel from London Waterloo:

• Weekend Super Off-Peak tickets are not valid if you board a train departing London Waterloo between 04:30 and 10:59 or 16:00 and 18:30; Vauxhall between 04:30 and 11:05 or 16:03 and 18:35; Clapham Junction between 04:30 and 11:05 or 16:09 and 18:40.

• If you have a Super Off-Peak Day Travelcard and you are travelling wholly within the London Zones 1-6 area, these restrictions do not apply.

I think the last point is the key here. The restriction at Clapham Junction applies only when heading away from London (which I was not) and only when heading outside of the zones (not the case between Clapham Junction and Victoria). The rest of the page just covers journeys outside of London.

But whether I can convince National Rail that the planner is doing it wrong is another matter.

Just annoys me that they are suggesting people should buy a more expensive ticket than is required!

furlong

Established Member
Report it to the ORR to investigate under the consumer regulations.

It's straightforward really - these tickets are hybrids consisting of two parts - a normal travelcard and a return to the boundary of the travelcard area. Within the travelcard area travelcard rules apply (and cannot be further restricted), while outside the boundary, national rail rules apply.

joncombe

Report it to the ORR to investigate under the consumer regulations.

It's straightforward really - these tickets are hybrids consisting of two parts - a normal travelcard and a return to the boundary of the travelcard area. Within the travelcard area travelcard rules apply (and cannot be further restricted), while outside the boundary, national rail rules apply.

Thank you, that is exactly what I will do. The conversation I had with National Rail Enquiries today was not really very productive. I think it is only South Western Railway that offers these "Super Off Peak Weekend Travelcard" tickets (and of course they are the same price that the less restricted Off Peak Weekend Travelcard used to be). So you'd think they'd have it right on their website.

The person I spoke to me though still told me their journey planner was correct and there was a restriction on travelling from Clapham Juncton before 11:05am (in either direction). I pointed out the part where South Western Railway make clear there are no restrictions within Zone 1-6 and the restrictions from Clapham Junction only apply when travelling outside the zones. I was told my interpretation was incorrect and this was only referring to tickets that were only issued starting and ending at stations in zones 1-6 and not if the station was outside the zone. I pointed out that a Super Off Peak Travelcard is ONLY issued to/from stations outside of the Travelcard zones so the ticket they were trying to claim this condition was referring to didn't actually exist. They disagreed with that, too. They also told me the South Western Railway site was incorrect to say these restrictions only apply when heading out of London and that they actually apply in both directions. I explained that a Travelcard has no restrictions at weekends (confirmed with TFL) and this applies to both tubes and trains. But again I was told this was wrong, it was only unlimited on the tube and busses and it was still subject to the restrictions at Clapham Junction on National Rail trains because National Rail set the conditions on trains.

The only thing I could get them to agree was to investigate why they weren't providing the option of staying on the train to Waterloo (rather than changing for Victoria at Clapham Junction) which they told me was valid on the cheaper "Super Off Peak" ticket - and even then only when I got them to type the same details into the Virgin Trains website which does list these journeys. He was surprised to find that South Western Railway website never offered the cheaper Super Off Peak Ticket at all at the same times and I did explain that it really should be that 3 different planners give 3 different set of results for the same journeys. He told me to complain about it to South Western Railway, which I have done, but from experience I've never come across a rail company that replies to emails in under 2 weeks, so time will tell what they tell me.

furlong

Established Member
The official definition, clearly showing the two elements:

Out-Boundary Ticket shall mean a ticket issued by an Operator to a passenger for a journey on Railway Services outside the Zones which includes a Travelcard to be used in conjunction with the relevant journey on Railway Services;

A normal travelcard plus a rail ticket to use outside the zones. Any stated time and/or operator restrictions apply only to the rail ticket part, outside the zones (under the Ticketing and Settlement Agreement), and the travelcard covers the travel from the boundary within the zones (under the Travelcard Agreement).

furlong

Established Member
SWR can only place restrictions on the portion of the journey outside the zones, and they've done this by restricting the trains you can use that cross the boundary in each direction while making clear there are no restrictions on travelling within the zones.

joncombe

I contacted Rail Delivery Group about this. They have agreed that the National Rail journey planner is incorrect and there are no restrictions on the travelcard portion of the ticket. As a result National Rail Enquiries have been asked to update the journey planner to reflect this. In the same email I'm also told that they are also working with SWR about the Super Off Peak Weekend travelcard to create a fairer ticket - not sure what is going to happen there - perhaps a reduction in some of the restrictions?

Kite159

Veteran Member
Would make sense to have the restrictions inbound only in the morning 'peak' and outbound in the evening 'peak'.

For example "ticket not valid on trains arriving into London Waterloo/Victoria/Paddington etc between the hours of 09:30 & 11:30 when travelling from outside zone 6"

Status
Not open for further replies.