• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Unfair fare

Status
Not open for further replies.

P156KWJ

Established Member
I was shocked to find that my fare had risen considerably, and I feel that TOCs are starting to take the p*** a bit with pricing. A cheap day return with the family railcard from nottingham to edlae used to cost us about £13. When I arrived the other day it was up to over £24. If I didn't have a railcard it would be a whopping £33. Fuel hasn't risen that much has it????

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

me123

Established Member
Why not use a family Derbyshire wayfarer with a Nottingham add-on.

http://nrekb.nationalrail.co.uk/promotions/f4d6dfed0a04000401a1817c93b33788.html

£13.10 Group ticket can be used by up to 2 Adults and 3 Children.

Group:
£13.10 Group ticket can be used by up to 2 Adults and 3 Children.

Not valid from Nottingham/Beeston

Sorry bout that!

I've always though that familys don't get a good deal on rails. Even wth your railcard it's a huge fare and it's just not attractive for your average family. I wish they'd introduce better family fares to get them off the road; and of course so many wee kids just love trains!

class 313

Established Member
I was shocked to find that my fare had risen considerably, and I feel that TOCs are starting to take the p*** a bit with pricing. A cheap day return with the family railcard from nottingham to edlae used to cost us about £13. When I arrived the other day it was up to over £24. If I didn't have a railcard it would be a whopping £33. Fuel hasn't risen that much has it????

A nice healthy $100 per barrel :)

Nick W

Established Member
It's terrible, and looking at the dividends given to shareholders by the ToCs, the extra profit is not being re-invested.

Also DfT have announced that they intend to reduce the railway's subsidy from 50% to 25%. They claims that they wish that the cost of the railway is paid for more by the farepayer then the taxpayer. However the truth is that the passenger farebox and freight revenue is more than paying for the railway costs and that the farepayer is, at the most optimistic view, subsidising the economy.

This is evident in the in the rising costs of running the railway since privatisation due to inefficiencies and private profits. Economists will claim that the inefficiencies result in a cash injection due the economy, and therefore defend privatisation. Unfortunately and unfairly, it is the passenger and the environment that ends up paying.

The fact is, rail fares no longer offer value for money, and haven't for years. Do your best to find ways to lower the costs, and save money, such as the eos has proposed. I myself am already trying to find ways to boycott the railway, and will be driving to school starting in February instead of the railway commute I have been doing for over 3 years.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
We mustn't kid ourselves that the TOCs are taking home gold bars. On the premium paying franchises, a tiny amount is going to the TOCs themselves - the rest is to the Department.
Even FirstGroup's half year profits at £103mill if reinvested in transport projects wouldn't really buy you /that/ much - about a 15km double track tramway over a year.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I'm going to guess this is from Nottingham? 1 adult + 2 children comes to £12.50 on Avantix traveller (valid after 0900 M-F). This price has now risen to £13.10.

The only way I can make it "over £25" is by not using the railcard, this makes it £25.20.

Nick W

Established Member
We mustn't kid ourselves that the TOCs are taking home gold bars. On the premium paying franchises, a tiny amount is going to the TOCs themselves - the rest is to the Department.
Even FirstGroup's half year profits at £103mill if reinvested in transport projects wouldn't really buy you /that/ much - about a 15km double track tramway over a year.

That's about £8 to every passenger who used paddington in the half year concerned, to put it into perspective.

adamp

Well I hope this fare strike by commuters on the 28th of january gets through to TOC's.

me123

Established Member
^ I think a lot of it is the TOCs, Loader. I'm lucky in that my fares have not risen at all (becase my YP railcard discount works in such a way that the rise isn't enough to hit the discounted fares), and any others are sensible increases. As much as I don't like it, a fare rise in accordance with inflation can't really be too much of a problem.

Some of them however are insane. The example given is almost a 70% rise on the original fare: I didn't know Dick Turpin owned any of the franchises...

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Some of them however are insane. The example given is almost a 70% rise on the original fare: I didn't know Dick Turpin owned any of the franchises...
But have you looked into the original example? I have, and the rise is 60p!

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The Government uses whatever inflation rate suits them, Public Sector pay was pegged to CPI at 2.1% but student loans get charged interest at the RPI rate of 4.8%.

Nick W

Established Member
But have you looked into the original example? I have, and the rise is 60p!

From what 156401 says "when i arrived", it sounds like he could be victim of price misquoting at his ticket office. Another common occurrence in today's railway.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
From what 156401 says "when i arrived", it sounds like he could be victim of price misquoting at his ticket office. Another common occurrence in today's railway.
yes, probably quoted the non-fam fare

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
They DID, I'm not stupid you know, even though I pretend i am sometimes
Any chance you can scan them in, or type up exactly what they say?

There is no way that you should have been charged approx £25 for tickets that cost approx £13 before.

plikma

They DID, I'm not stupid you know, even though I pretend i am sometimes

More importantly, were you charged the price on the ticket? Sometimes RPIs/Ticket bureaus charge extra for tickets and corrupt individuals pocket the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.