• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

unfair penalty? Can I appeal

Status
Not open for further replies.

simran

So I was given a penalty fare notice of 185 travelling from leicester to st pancras. Now my issue was, i paid for my tickets and have the payment email to confirm, however i was using the mobile format ticket and this however was not working. The inspector asked my to load my emails as proof I had purchased a ticket and without even waiting for them to load he said im writing you a penalty notice. At which point i stated that he tustve had some sort of issue with me as i had valid proof of purchase on my email. He then brought through a fellow female colleague who was even more arrogant, and she stated that she would now be filming me on her pocket camera, which made me even more irritated as i felt like a criminal but I know I paid for my tickets. Can i appeal this?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

_toommm_

Established Member
What do you mean by the mobile ticket wasn't working? Was it now downloading or was it just not there?

Strictly, the ticket should be activated before the guard comes down and when you get to the train station, much in the same,way tickets need to be collected before boarding a train...

simran

What do you mean by the mobile ticket wasn't working? Was it now downloading or was it just not there?

Strictly, the ticket should be activated before the guard comes down and when you get to the train station, much in the same,way tickets need to be collected before boarding a train...
the whole app wasn't loading, but i tried to show the email as proof of purchase to back up the fact the ticket wasn't loading and he wasn't interested

cuccir

Established Member
As stated, strictly speaking you need to be able to display the ticket. There's no protection in case of a technical issue. You shouldn't let the deadline to pay pass without paying. The penalty fare could increase.

All that said, you should look to try and appeal. You can appeal the penatly fare directly, which you should do in the first place. I'm not convinced that it will succeed, however, because I don't think you have any grounds within the penalty fare rules.

So, if that fails, I would try and get in tocuh with customer serivces. You should write a clear email outlining what happened, without accusations - true or false - about the inspectors, or mentions of being irritate or otherwise. Try and make it calm, objective, and focus on the key point - you paid for your ticket but couldn't display it because the app didn't function. I'm not 100% certain an appeal would suceed, but you might have a good chance.
--
Edit - a further point to consider would be to appeal based upon the adequacy of the signage at Leicester station. If, for example, you boarded without seeing signs stating that penalty fares could be charged, or if that signage doesn't conform to the wording in legislation, then you might also have grounds for appeal. I haven't used Leicester station regularly enough to know what the signs are like.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.