• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Unfriendly rail stations to spot trains

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HST Power

Established Member
I've been lucky enough never to encounter unfriendly staff. I always write to the TOC in advance and take their approval in writing. Upon arriving at the selected station, I alert both staff and the Station Manager of my presence and intended time used to photograph. I find that providing people know where I am, what I'm doing and that they trust me not to pull a fast one and jump on the next train, response to photography is fair.

Aictos

Established Member
Well...............

4. Any station owned by FCC

And I am sure there are many more

I object to this, not every station is unfriendly indeed when Jim Morgan was MD he pushed forward a staff brief for all staff instructing them on railway photographers and what to do, he had a poster published for public areas.

Now yes there are a few staff who are unfriendly but they are in the minority, indeed if I'm at work and it's a good service ie no disruption then I'm only too happy to answer any queries from anyone.

rail-britain

Established Member
1. Aberdeen
On what grounds?
Yes, there are barriers, but it is fairly easy to see all the trains, and when you eventually find a member of staff you can get access to the platforms (but then again some members of staff do recognise me from working there many years ago)

IanPooleTrains

Established Member
On what grounds?
Yes, there are barriers, but it is fairly easy to see all the trains, and when you eventually find a member of staff you can get access to the platforms (but then again some members of staff do recognise me from working there many years ago)

We went through all the right channels, sort permission off of ScotRail HO, went to see the duty manager and he still didn't let us on even though we had permission. We had to end up photting on a car park

alexdodds

Well...............

1. Aberdeen
2. London Liverpool Street
3. Blackpool North
4. Any station managed by FCC
5. Any station managed by Northern Rail
6. Cannon Street

And I am sure there are many more

Aberdeen oh yes but not any of the London terminals including Liverpool Street. Network Rail staff were very friendly and professional when I went in July and enjoyed my hour of videoing there. Now at Cannon Street you can access the supervisors office without going through the ticket barriers.

How many times have I said about Blackpool North. It's not unfriendly, just one of the supervisors is strict regarding videoing and thats it.

A lot of enthusiasts seem to have the wrong impression about that station.

Temple Meads

Established Member
I've never let anyone know in advance, or even tell a member of staff on arrival, and I've never had an unpleasant experience because I've been spotting or taking pictures.

scoope

Without wanting to cause offence...............the only times I remember staff getting cross is when people start to "get in the way" of operations, smoke on platforms, chuck litter about or most often cross platform end markers.
I allways try if possible not to focus my camara or camcorder on other people and staff as that is where the problems can start

Temple Meads

Established Member
Without wanting to cause offence...............the only times I remember staff getting cross is when people start to "get in the way" of operations, smoke on platforms, chuck litter about or most often cross platform end markers.
I allways try if possible not to focus my camara or camcorder on other people and staff as that is where the problems can start

That may have something to do with my good experiences, I always try not to do anything which might cause offence or alarm, play by the rules and really you should be fine, however some staff seem to see the use of a camera as a major disruption.

HST Power

Established Member
I sometimes wonder about people when they ask me what I want to photograph at a train station.

scoope

That may have something to do with my good experiences, I always try not to do anything which might cause offence or alarm, play by the rules and really you should be fine, however some staff seem to see the use of a camera as a major disruption.

I agree totaly, you will get the odd one.It should be noted that not all visitors to rail stations are as considerate as you

HST Power

Established Member

It's true, ridiculous as it sounds I've had it on many occasions. :lol:

Part of me always wants to say, 'Oh, I'll be photographing the security cameras and the emergency exits. Do you have any problems with that?'

onein37

Had a load of words a few months back off a Network Rail man at Liverpool Lime St when he saw me taking photos............. telling me all about the terrorism threat blah blah blah,i told him i was some of the best security the station could get with a camera. He let me carry on "BUT DONT PASS THE PLATFORM END MARKERS"

ChrisCooper

Established Member
I think a big problem is that in general if you play by the rules you shouldn't get too much trouble, but some staff unfortunatly seem to think photography is against the rules. I actually have never had any staff say I needed permission to photograph, just that I couldn't full stop. The only time the guidelines have been mentioned was by a member of staff who said I was alright photographing when waiting for my train but if I was ever going to be around for longer then it would be better if i made myself known beforehand.

PUFFINGBILLY

Over the last few years or so I have travelled to Waterloo and on alighting hang around the platform end watching the arrivals and departures and taking a few pictures. I have yet to be accosted or have my actions questioned.
I would reflect on more interesting and happier steam days such as when with my dad coming up from Bournemouth on the 7am Royal Wessex and tucking into a proper cooked breakfast en-route, served at your table. No naff tacky trolleys in those days. At Waterloo the joys of walking past the heavily breahting steamy steam engine, a big green Bullied of course and calling out a thank you to the crew. Peiople had manners then. I seem to recall it was traditional for passengers to hand over their read morning paper.
Back to the 21st century.
I expect to repeat a trip next year so maybe this time I will get arrested for being an ageing trainspotter/terrorist/infidel/spy or whatever some Jobsworth in a uniform and High-Vis vest dreams up.

anthony263

Established Member
Over the last few years or so I have travelled to Waterloo and on alighting hang around the platform end watching the arrivals and departures and taking a few pictures. I have yet to be accosted or have my actions questioned.
I would reflect on more interesting and happier steam days such as when with my dad coming up from Bournemouth on the 7am Royal Wessex and tucking into a proper cooked breakfast en-route, served at your table. No naff tacky trolleys in those days. At Waterloo the joys of walking past the heavily breahting steamy steam engine, a big green Bullied of course and calling out a thank you to the crew. Peiople had manners then. I seem to recall it was traditional for passengers to hand over their read morning paper.
Back to the 21st century.
I expect to repeat a trip next year so maybe this time I will get arrested for being an ageing trainspotter/terrorist/infidel/spy or whatever some Jobsworth in a uniform and High-Vis vest dreams up.

I suspect that there will be a few railway enthusiasts having some sort of problems during the olympics next summer.

curly42

Anybody up for an overnight at Stratford ? Maybe next July/August ? :lol:

wbbminerals

Leeds is the only one I will say, probably because I never inform them of my presence - which is a. because their office is intimmidating, b. I don't have time (even train spotters have lives :lol:) and c. because they don't allow tripods, which are a neccessity when making my videos / taking photos at night.

alexdodds

Leeds is the only one I will say, probably because I never inform them of my presence - which is a. because their office is intimmidating, b. I don't have time (even train spotters have lives :lol:) and c. because they don't allow tripods, which are a neccessity when making my videos / taking photos at night.

Leeds station is a friendly one with friendly Network Rail staff. I never take a tripod to there now a days because the platforms are too narrow and uneven in places.

wbbminerals

Leeds station is a friendly one with friendly Network Rail staff. I never take a tripod to there now a days because the platforms are too narrow and uneven in places.

I think the bottom line is common sense is needed; if you're in the way of passengers or too close to the platform edge that is a problem - however I think apart from that the use of a tripod is fine and I will continue do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.