• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Unfriendly rail stations to spot trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

nowinaminute

I forgot to mention the that when I have been to Cardiff I have stayed for hours on end with no trouble, might just be luck though!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jon0844

Veteran Member
At Finsbury Park I was filming HSTs and 180s, so was on the KGX platforms for about 30 mins. A member of gateline staff came up to me and asked me nicely what I was doing

No harm in someone asking nicely. I was between two trains and took a photo of the new gateline on platform 1/2 and was told I needed permission to take photos. This was a supposed manager, trying to impress his colleagues (who were also there to see the new gates) but he didn't get any support and I had to point out that enthusiasts were welcome and point to the poster.

He said I needed to sign in, which was frankly ridiculous when I was going to be there for all of 3-4 minutes waiting for my train to Moorgate!

It happens, but then you can go to the Olympics and take photos of the soldiers doing the security alongside G4S and have no trouble at all. As I've said before, the people who don't have the power are the ones who try hardest to exert it. You can either comply with their made up rules so they feel big, or stand up to them as the bullies they are. You can add PCSOs into that, as they can be far worse.

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
I'd heard that things had improved at Liverpool Street recently - has it gone downhill again?

I must admit it was about a two years now since I went spotting there. The guy at the ticket window didn't know what a platform ticket was so he got his boss and they were reluctant to give us one.

Later on when we showed it to the gate staff, they were still reluctant to let us through. At the intercity platforms however the guy just said "spotting?" as we approached and we said yes and he was more than happy to let us through and even wrote down times of the 90's arriving.

causton

Established Member
It happens, but then you can go to the Olympics and take photos of the soldiers doing the security alongside G4S and have no trouble at all.

This is the ironic thing, I stood in the middle of Stratford bus station surrounded by army, private security guards, armed police... not a word was said. At a quiet bus stop, a staff member from a bus company (not a driver I don't think, probably an engineer/recovery person) said I was not allowed!

Likewise at Clapham Junction when I take a picture as I'm waiting for my train the proper security people don't bat an eyelid, but the dispatcher comes flailing up to me and shouting!

I just know that it's the people who have the least power act like they have the most, but make themselves seem like they don't deserve to have the most because they can't give discretion properly! :P

jon0844

Veteran Member
If the people who haven't got a clue don't get their result (i.e. you apologising profusely and bowing at their feeet) then they usually get more angry and begin to start making stuff up - just digging themselves an even bigger hole.

That's why I've had run-ins with PCSOs that don't know the law, but think that wearing a uniform similar to that of a police officer means they can probably bluff their way along. Sadly, they probably do for a lot of people (all but the criminals that just laugh at them).

Status
Not open for further replies.