• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

unfriendly stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

43021HST

Established Member
Quite a while back I went to my home towns main station which was Reading station. I went to the ticket office to buy a platform ticket to do some trainspotting, the told me to go to the guy at the barrier. I went to him and I told him I wanted a platform ticket. He said to me what would you want that for. I said to trainspot. He said I wasnt allowed on the platform. I showed him my camara and notepad but he was having none of it. I left the station feeling very angry. Since then I havnt visited that station. I,m tired of being told I cant do things because I,m a teenager. Also I cant join my local preserved railway because I,m too young. It does my head in. I blame stereotyping, Health and Safety and child protection. Any one with simelar stories and maybe a solution to my prediciment.

Yours klambert

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

richa2002

Established Member
How annoying that sounds, pointless nonsense from station staff who think they're king of the castle.

I sympathise. It's an annoying situation but I would guess it's largely a result of one or two idiotic barrier guards rather than anything systematic with the industry or its workforce.

Just say you need a platform ticket 'cos you're meeting your old gran off the 10.15 from blah-de-blah and she needs help with her luggage. They can't rightly refuse that, surely...

Established Member
Reading barrier berts are some of the worst, always a little army of them sitting in the little hust with one way glass behind the barriers, any trouble and suddenly they appear from no where! Also mega tight on tickets, a few times had my priv card scooped from my hand to be examined. Twice had, 'this isn't valid, its got yesterdays date on, you need to buy a new ticket', twice replies with 'A BR Priv Card is valid for two days from the date in the box, next time your sitting in there (point towards hut) have a look at your fares/ticketing manual!'

LilLoaf

Orprington station is a if'y with priv passes, i got told in a mumble "thats not valid buy a ticket". Totally madness.

How odd. The only situations like that I've had are this summer when I went to Welwyn Garden City and Stevenage stations.
Welwyn has turned rather unfriendly towards rail enthusiasts nowadays. I was told to buy a platform ticket, I did, and then I started filming the trains.
First I got told off for flying a homemade GNER flag at NXEC drivers, and then five minutes later I was told off for filming! Said I had to have written permission from First Capital Connect to film anything!
Then a month later at Stevenage station, I was down the end of the platform, filming a few trains flying through and arriving. Then, as I started packing up, this foreign member of staff came down here and had a right row at me for being there, and for being in possession of a camera! He told me to sign in at the station next time, and get permission first. Next week, I did just that. Had a chat with the station manager and she phoned FCC and got permission for me. Then, I went down the end of the platform again and filmed some trains going through. I start packing up, and then the foreign member of staff comes again and has another row at me, and then takes me up the lift and vents his anger on another member of staff, telling him exactly what I was doing. "He was talking to a driver of National Express!"
Luckily, the irate member of staff finished his shift at 2, so the other (British) FCC employee said to wait half an hour and return. Thank God I heard nothing of him since. I complained to FCC, so they should have done something by now.

Sorry for Ranting, but these are true stories that happened to me in the timespace of a month.

Darandio

Established Member
How odd. The only situations like that I've had are this summer when I went to Welwyn Garden City and Stevenage stations.
Welwyn has turned rather unfriendly towards rail enthusiasts nowadays. I was told to buy a platform ticket, I did, and then I started filming the trains.
First I got told off for flying a homemade GNER flag at NXEC drivers, and then five minutes later I was told off for filming! Said I had to have written permission from First Capital Connect to film anything!
Then a month later at Stevenage station, I was down the end of the platform, filming a few trains flying through and arriving. Then, as I started packing up, this foreign member of staff came down here and had a right row at me for being there, and for being in possession of a camera! He told me to sign in at the station next time, and get permission first. Next week, I did just that. Had a chat with the station manager and she phoned FCC and got permission for me. Then, I went down the end of the platform again and filmed some trains going through. I start packing up, and then the foreign member of staff comes again and has another row at me, and then takes me up the lift and vents his anger on another member of staff, telling him exactly what I was doing. "He was talking to a driver of National Express!"
Luckily, the irate member of staff finished his shift at 2, so the other (British) FCC employee said to wait half an hour and return. Thank God I heard nothing of him since. I complained to FCC, so they should have done something by now.

Sorry for Ranting, but these are true stories that happened to me in the timespace of a month.

Sorry, but you are bound to be told off for flying a flag at drivers, it would be percieved as a dangerous distraction surely.

GB

Established Member
Quite a while back I went to my home towns main station which was Reading station. I went to the ticket office to buy a platform ticket to do some trainspotting, the told me to go to the guy at the barrier. I went to him and I told him I wanted a platform ticket. He said to me what would you want that for. I said to trainspot. He said I wasnt allowed on the platform. I showed him my camara and notepad but he was having none of it. I left the station feeling very angry. Since then I havnt visited that station. I,m tired of being told I cant do things because I,m a teenager. Also I cant join my local preserved railway because I,m too young. It does my head in. I blame stereotyping, Health and Safety and child protection. Any one with simelar stories and maybe a solution to my prediciment.

Yours klambert

To be fair, did he actually say you cant do it becuase your a teenager? If he did, then I seriously suggest you put in a formal complaint as that is bang out of order.

Benn88

I've had issues with the Reading Station bods, they had a go at me on a few seperate occasions for doing absoultely eff all wrong! No Need.

Daniel533

Ive never had problems getting on stations to get photos, but i have with getting refunds on tickets i have just brought, i remeber having an argument with the ticket man at Folkestone because i acidently brought a return ticket when all i wanted was a single, in the end i got a refund at Canterbury East and the person who served me was only to happy to help.

Phoenix

Established Member
I think these days we need to just be smart about the situation in general.
If you have actually travelled to the station or are going to travel from the station then as long as you do whats asked of you there shouldn't be a problem (and keep that always in your mind)
If on the other hand you are just going to spot/phot then just hope the guys at the station are the good guy's as you don't much of a case to argue.
It's rubbish how photographers have to justify their every action nowadays but it is the way it is no matter what hobby you take up there is usually some opposition so the best thing as I said is to deal with it.
And just some advice but I understand it may be hard for some................Just go do some photting or spotting at a line side location is much nicer and plus you can just chill and not have stoats asking you questions every five minutes.

ian13

Bristol Temple Meads issued me a visitor pass once to photograph (after making me read the H&S information) which seemed perfectly fair.

rail-britain

Established Member
Since then I havnt visited that station. I,m tired of being told I cant do things because I,m a teenager. Also I cant join my local preserved railway because I,m too young
I would suggest that you get your parent/guardian to make a complaint, which also includes a request on how you can enjoy your hobby whilst visiting their premises; surely there can be some type of agreement

martyn29

I never had a problem at ReADING although I normally get off the train, do photting then get back on again so dont need to go thru thr barriers

CCF23

I sometimes find that the foreign cleaners at the end of the tube lines (eg. Upminster, Amersham etc.) are usually hostile to you taking photos and give you alien like stares.

KaiserBurton

The G4S staff really get on my nerves. I work as a Conductor based at Buxton and not long ago I was working a service frm Man Picc to Buxton. Just as we were about to leave, an young woman wanted to board but didn't have a ticket. She subsequently missed the train because of the barrier staff. They are NOT allowed to sell tickets to passengers getting ON trains, only to passengers getting OFF. And that applies to platforms aswell. Arseholes.

GB

Established Member
The G4S staff really get on my nerves. I work as a Conductor based at Buxton and not long ago I was working a service frm Man Picc to Buxton. Just as we were about to leave, an young woman wanted to board but didn't have a ticket. She subsequently missed the train because of the barrier staff. They are NOT allowed to sell tickets to passengers getting ON trains, only to passengers getting OFF. And that applies to platforms aswell. Arseholes.

Don't know the specific workings of your area, but surely barrier staff are there to prevent people without tickets from entering the platform/train?

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
Personally I have no problems with spotters/enthusiasts on the station, providing they don't start trespassing, I've had many an argument with people who go well beyond signage/lines etc. where they shouldn't be " i didn't see the sign and why is the platform so long if you can't go there" its bright f**kin red lol

Ilove165's

The only station staff I get trouble from are the security guys at Ealing Broadway, but all they seem to do is give me the H&S briefing and then leave me alone

Sam

GB

Established Member
NXEA staff at Colchester are a bit funny with you... can you still buy platform tickets?

Must all depend on who is there at the time. I was at the country end of P4 a few weeks ago for a couple of hours and no one said a thing. Went down to Witham a few days later and was booted off within 15 minutes:roll: Had no problems (yet) at Marks Tey either.

Calum

NXEA staff at Colchester are a bit funny with you... can you still buy platform tickets?

Must all depend on who is there at the time. I was at the country end of P4 a few weeks ago for a couple of hours and no one said a thing. Went down to Witham a few days later and was booted off within 15 minutes:roll: Had no problems (yet) at Marks Tey either.

I've never had any problems whilst I've been at Colchester, Marks Tey being the same. Last time I was at Witham, which was probably over a year ago now, I again didn't have problems but at the time I had a compact camera so I was pretty discreet about it.

I don't think platform tickets are issued anymore. I've usually explained to the people at the ticket barrier, when a steam train was scheduled to stop years back, and they let me through.

I usually find most London stations to be unfriendly, especially if you're the only enthusiast there.

martyn29

The only place I have had problems is Southall station, but did get an apology after the event from the head of FGW. I havent been nack since to try it out and see if they are the same though.

ever since tfl took over the north london line, some of the staff at brondesbury get very funny with you if they see a camera

At home in North London, wishing I was bashing a t
i am going to london in january, so is there any stations in the london area i should avoid?
All terminus stations, they are the worst for letting enthusiasts take photos.

Interestingly, I heard that staff on the terminus side of London Bridge don't like you taking photos, but on the other side where Charing Cross/Cannon Street trains go are fine with it!

The only station I ever go where I feel secure is Ipswich, you never get a second glance from the drivers or pestered from station staff unless you are using flash.

Last edited:

16CSVT2700

Established Member
All terminus stations, they are the worst for letting enthusiasts take photos.
That's funny the only incident I've had was at KX about 4 years ago!
I usually flash my valid ticket for travel in their face and walk off..

Status
Not open for further replies.