• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Unified bus numbering scheme?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

edwin_m

Veteran Member
7x7 does indeed seem to be pretty much standard for airport buses these days. All the more reason not to adopt a national numbering system, as airport buses in different places would then have to have different numbers and be more difficult to remember for occasional visitors.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
As indeed is the one from Bristol to Bristol Airport.

Bath to Bristol Airport is the A4. Nice A number for the Airport, but also, much of its route is along the A4 road !

Similarly First in West Yorkshire used to have the M62 Halifax - Leeds service which spent most of its time on the M62 between Brighouse and Leeds and the much shorter lived M1 which popped onto the M1 between West Bretton and Meadowhall starting from Huddersfield (and for a time extending to Sheffield on the Southern side).

I got to Nottingham by 3 buses on occasion from the village of Ripponden using the latter, with First allowing a West Yorkshire day ticket to extend to Meadowhall and Stagecoach running Meadowhall to Nottingham.

Not fast but scenic.

Stagecoach's X62 also spends much of its time on the M62 between Hull and Leeds.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Similarly First in West Yorkshire used to have the M62 Halifax - Leeds service which spent most of its time on the M62 between Brighouse and Leeds and the much shorter lived M1 which popped onto the M1 between West Bretton and Meadowhall starting from Huddersfield (and for a time extending to Sheffield on the Southern side).

I got to Nottingham by 3 buses on occasion from the village of Ripponden using the latter, with First allowing a West Yorkshire day ticket to extend to Meadowhall and Stagecoach running Meadowhall to Nottingham.

Not fast but scenic.

Stagecoach's X62 also spends much of its time on the M62 between Hull and Leeds.

And Arriva renumbered their X14 Darlington - Stockton - Middlesbrough to the X66 - it follows the A66 along most of its route!

Eagle

Established Member
The Megabus M1 (London to Coventry and Birmingham) travels on the M1 for most of its journey, and the M90 (Edinburgh to Perth and Inverness) goes the whole length of the M90. There's also the M34 which uses about 60 miles of A34 between Bicester and Winchester.

Last edited:

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
The Megabus M1 (London to Coventry and Birmingham) travels on the M1 for most of its journey, and the M90 (Edinburgh to Perth and Inverness) goes the whole length of the M90. There's also the M34 which uses about 60 miles of A34 between Bicester and Winchester.

Might be wrong but think before deregulation, COMS and Hampshire Bus operated a Southampton - Newbury - Oxford express numbered X34

tbtc

Veteran Member
...and the Park & Ride in Doncaster is the 638 - not a nice round number, not a low number (unlike most Doncaster routes, which are now two digit after being three digits in PTE days), but it does link the town centre with two sites on the A638...

transmanche

Established Member
Didn't we have a thread about a year ago, all about bus routes which had numbers 'appropriate' to the road used?

Statto

Established Member
There is a 41 Woodchurch-Mill Park which goes down a section of the A41 New Chester Road.

I do like the West Midlands way of numbering circle routes which end in A or C, like 11A-11C, which stands for C-clockwise or A-anticlockwise.

MCR247

Established Member
I do like the West Midlands way of numbering circle routes which end in A or C, like 11A-11C, which stands for C-clockwise or A-anticlockwise.

IMO it isn't any more helpful than numbering them 11 and 12 since if I was stood at a bus stop in Birmingham, anticlockwise and clockwise would mean nothing to me!

MCR247

Established Member
It's no less clear than "eastbound" and "westbound". It's a direction. If you know the route and where you want to go it's obvious.

I wasn't saying it was unclear - only that it is no more clear (and helpful) than having them as 11 and 12

starrymarkb

Established Member
...and the Park & Ride in Doncaster is the 638 - not a nice round number, not a low number (unlike most Doncaster routes, which are now two digit after being three digits in PTE days), but it does link the town centre with two sites on the A638...

It does surprise me when Park and Rides are given strange numbers when the idea is to be simple to use for non regular bus users. PR1 etc makes sense. 41, 638, 506 are less obvious.

Mind you Exeter's P&R routes are "Red", "Green" and "Blue" with buses and signage at the carpark and stops all matching the colour.

Status
Not open for further replies.