• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Union membership

Status
Not open for further replies.

alxndr

Established Member
Of course, the company (I suspect we work for the same one) would never officially say that one shouldn't join the union, indeed they will pay lip service to encouraging it. However, I understand (I am way to old to have gone on that boat) that the likes of me are talked about unofficially as awkward Union dinosaurs. You shiny new starters are encouraged to take the new path. Unfortunately it's a path where collectivism is dying in favour of a workplace where p*ssing up someone else's back to achieve ones goals is fostered.

Not saying you are. Just my opinion.

Perhaps some unofficial words were had with some that I wasn't privy to. I never really had enough interaction with people employed by said company to know their views on anything. Not that it would have changed my views, all it would have done is made me try harder to get people to join.

Unfortunately I think you're assessment is probably true on the most part. I don't think it's anything specific to one employer or workplace though, just the world in general only looking out for themselves rather than looking at the bigger picture.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

There are a lot of Conservative voters who are union members on the railway... long gone are the days where being in a union meant you'd only vote Labour.

gtr driver

As others have said I'm in the uinion, RMT if you must know, for the protection that I hope I never need. I'm not active and when I heard Bob speak I did not agree with what he had to say. Still glad i shook his hand though.
Getting some of the younger ones to join is a battle. Whats in it for them seems to be what they look for. For the whatever you pay every 4 weeks, I think they want a new i phone tbh. Its like insurance in a way, no one likes to pay for it, but when the s*#t hits the fan, your glad you did. Mind they are always happy to take the pay rises and add ons that the union sort out.

Its the same reason the social fund folded at Brighton. Getting the new folks to pay a £5 a year was impossible. 'What have they ever done for us?'

Vending machines
subsidised trips and events
xmas party
and many others.

alas....

Don't give up hope SarahJ...new one just formed at Norwood with new joiners support.

There are a lot of Conservative voters who are union members on the railway... long gone are the days where being in a union meant you'd only vote Labour.

in soime partso f healthcare Unison membership is a strong combat indicator that the person is an un reconstructed clause 4 lover ... where membership of the alternative(s) could mean any or no political alignment ...

Robertj21a

On Moderation
Unfortunately I think you're assessment is probably true on the most part. I don't think it's anything specific to one employer or workplace though, just the world in general only looking out for themselves rather than looking at the bigger picture.

I think this is very true but it may well be that individuals are more confident of handling matters themselves than they were some years ago. With greater media awareness, the internet, Google etc it is far easier nowadays to research no end of issues that may concern you - and make contact with like-minded individuals (this thread being a case in point).

notadriver

Established Member
I have two jobs. One is unionised and one isn't. Guess which pays more and has better terms and conditions ?

Freddie

A far few people signed up after our RMT talk (including me), not sure this year's had one at all. They certainly didn't have one by the time we did. Never heard any anti-unionist talk though, it just doesn't seem necessary to a lot of people at that point. It might be been helped for my year that they pressed for, and got us, a payrise.

If your employer is the one I'm thinking of, then I'm one of this year's apprentices ;) We were supposed to have a talk from an RMT bod in the first few weeks, but the guy had to cancel and it was never rearranged.

I'd agree in not hearing any anti-union talk (in fact some rather tacit "I can't tell you you should join a union, but I've always been a member" comments from instructors), just a lot of ignorance over what a union is, why it'd be a good idea to join, and what they actually do...

Of cause, persuading RMT to take a fiver off me is proving rather difficult...

alxndr

Established Member
If your employer is the one I'm thinking of, then I'm one of this year's apprentices ;) We were supposed to have a talk from an RMT bod in the first few weeks, but the guy had to cancel and it was never rearranged.

I'd agree in not hearing any anti-union talk (in fact some rather tacit "I can't tell you you should join a union, but I've always been a member" comments from instructors), just a lot of ignorance over what a union is, why it'd be a good idea to join, and what they actually do...

Of cause, persuading RMT to take a fiver off me is proving rather difficult...

I discovered yesterday you'd still not had a talk, and gave one of your cohort a form I happened to have in my bag... Perhaps I should have brought more!

I'd suggest getting in touch with RMT via email or phone and see if they'd send you a form as the last time I checked they didn't have an option to get the apprentice rate online. Even on the paper form you've just got to write it on. I'm pretty sure they sorted someone at my depot out when he got in touch to join.

Status
Not open for further replies.