• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Unique railway stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

deltic1989

Established Member
Would Collingham (lincs) count as the only station to have a signal slap bang in the middle of the platform? I'm clutching at straws here a little because i simply can't think.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

At_traction

Would Collingham (lincs) count as the only station to have a signal slap bang in the middle of the platform? I'm clutching at straws here a little because i simply can't think.

Indeed it does, on the up platform...

Although splitting platforms into two sections with an in-between signal must not be that uncommon (signals usually being suspended from above), this one indeed grows up from the ground.

The station also seems to have (confirmed by GoogleCar(TM)) a height difference between portions of the platforms. Probably the signal signifies the end of the raised portion of the platform and thus effectively the end of platform in itself, at least the portion meant for normal use. Don't know if the level crossing right next to the end of platform also plays a part...

Rural charm.

deltic1989

Established Member
Indeed it does, on the up platform...

Although splitting platforms into two sections with an in-between signal must not be that uncommon (signals usually being suspended from above), this one indeed grows up from the ground.

The station also seems to have (confirmed by GoogleCar(TM)) a height difference between portions of the platforms. Probably the signal signifies the end of the raised portion of the platform and thus effectively the end of platform in itself, at least the portion meant for normal use. Don't know if the level crossing right next to the end of platform also plays a part...

Rural charm.

thanks for the confirmation, at least im not seeing things. Does the signal being arranged in this manner make Collingham unique though?

Tomnick

Established Member
I'd suggest that it's entirely down to the level crossing, and the need to position the signal a certain distance in rear of that (for a stopping train, the signal will be at Danger and the barriers on the AHB still raised when the train approaches). At a guess, the platform has only been raised in rear of the signal because there's no point raising it where the train won't stop!

Stations with a similar arrangement linked to an adjacent AHB include Burton Joyce, Swineshead and Havenhouse - at least one of those (Havenhouse) has the protecting signal some way down the platform, and the protecting signal at each of the latter two is auto-plated in an Absolute Block section - surely unusual?

Captain Chaos

Does Redhill count as being unique? On platform 1 in the down direction it has a 3 aspect signal protecting the points coming out of the old sidings located underneath the canopy and just a few meters at the end of the platform there is a 4 aspect signal with theatre box on the gantry giving access to the Redhil, Tonbridge and Reading lines.

Is there anywhere else that has this arrangement so close to each other?

steamybrian

Established Member
Prior to recent resignalling Horsham down loop platform had a stop signal actually midway along the platform dating back to pre-1960s when two branch line trains used to stand there one for Brighton via Steyning and the other to Guildford via Baynards.

colpepper

There is a similar sounding facility near Faslane Naval Base just near to 'Garelochead' - about four sidings with platform like structures - all very new looking, with street lighting, but all totally fenced off with signs saying 'MOD Property'. Gates across the track entrance and barbed wire everywhere.

I once saw a pair of 20s parked in there - and you know what that means ;)

It was Saturday and they were going to Skegness?

MCR247

Established Member
I'd suggest that it's entirely down to the level crossing, and the need to position the signal a certain distance in rear of that (for a stopping train, the signal will be at Danger and the barriers on the AHB still raised when the train approaches). At a guess, the platform has only been raised in rear of the signal because there's no point raising it where the train won't stop!

Stations with a similar arrangement linked to an adjacent AHB include Burton Joyce, Swineshead and Havenhouse - at least one of those (Havenhouse) has the protecting signal some way down the platform, and the protecting signal at each of the latter two is auto-plated in an Absolute Block section - surely unusual?

IIRC Attenborough also has one, but it isn't quite in half

Tomnick

Established Member
I don't think any of the above are halfway down the physical platform :) .

Bittern

Established Member
Prestwick International Airport, the only railway station operated and maintained by an airport company rather than a TOC, PTE or Network Rail

There being two of them probably invalidates the unique-ness, but would Corkerhill and Drumbreck on the Paisley Canal Line be the only electrified stations that only have diesel passenger services?

Corkerhill station itself isn't electrified, only the siding at the abandoned platform is.

jrhilton

Berrylands is the only station in London that has wooden platforms that are also held up by wooden supports (as opposed to concrete or bricks).

12CSVT

Established Member
Farringdon.
Where the First Capital Connect (Thameslink) passenger train changes its electricity pick up whilst standing in the station. Going north it raises its shoes off the third rail and raises the pantograph for the overhead wires. Going south it does the reverse.
Trains on the West London Line do similiar but on the move between stations.

They do this at Drayton Park as well

W-on-Sea

Established Member
...and I think at Camden Road (and possibly a couple of other locations on the North London line) too?

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
...and I think at Camden Road (and possibly a couple of other locations on the North London line) too?

And at Ebbsfleet International (North Kent Platforms) and Ashford International where the Javelins leave HS1 and join the classic lines.

Death

Established Member
I'm afraid not - The arrangement at North Camp (See photo) is almost identical, practically speaking... :)
640px-North_camp_station_3.jpg

See original on Wikimedia

Anyhow, here's my go - Based on observations made during my Scandanavian voyages... :)

York - The only station in the United Kingdom to have a Norwegen name; The city (And thus the station built a few years later) were named after Gjorvik by the Vikings who captured and inhabited the city in 866CE. <D

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I'm afraid not - The arrangement at North Camp (See photo) is almost identical, practically speaking... :)

Anyhow, here's my go - Based on observations made during my Scandanavian voyages... :)

York - The only station in the United Kingdom to have a Norwegen name; The city (And thus the station built a few years later) were named after Gjorvik by the Vikings who captured and inhabited the city in 866CE. <D

You might want to look up where Whitby came from :D (Witebi, white settlement). Think there's Selby too. They changed the spelling of Shipton to Skipton so they could pronounce it but that might not count..

At_traction

Which is all the more mystifying as there is no "vik" (bay) anywhere nearby... Humber mouth cannot possibly count? :p

At least the Danes gave the Law and later (as Normans) performed the last successful invasion of Britain - as the Swedes, for their part, founded Russia... ;)

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Also Tring has signal about 4 cars from the end of the platform which was installed during the West Coast route modernisation because of the need to ensure overlaps with the pointwork to the north of the station. Fences were put up to ensure customers know where to wait on the platform.

You can see the location of the fences on Stations made easy: http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/stations/sjp/TRI/plan.html

Established Member
You might want to look up where Whitby came from :D (Witebi, white settlement). Think there's Selby too. They changed the spelling of Shipton to Skipton so they could pronounce it but that might not count..

Ulleskelf also from Norse as well.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
No, FAREHAM, PORCHESTER AND COSHAM ARE THE SAME!!!!!!
No need to shout!

And if you had bothered to read the thread properly then you may have realised that the post you quoted was originally posted in June and other members have already corrected the poster.

NSE

Established Member
Firstly, someone said earlier that "its like saying all EC trains call at KGX", well there is of course the Aberdeen-Leeds service, so even that doesn't work :P (Although on a side note, I make c2c the only TOC to have services always going to London, i.e. always from or to) Also Someone said Stratford has third rail, I think I might be correct in saying that the new NLL platforms are OLE? Therefore it is only three power types, same as Highbury and Islington and Farringdon, and Wimbledon come to think of it.

Now I've stopped being picky ;) I think Raynes Park may qualify as being the only station located on a Grade Seperated Junction?

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Firstly, someone said earlier that "its like saying all EC trains call at KGX", well there is of course the Aberdeen-Leeds service, so even that doesn't work :P

And the 0050 York - Newcastle.
And the 1950 Glasgow - York.

MCR247

Established Member
Firstly, someone said earlier that "its like saying all EC trains call at KGX", well there is of course the Aberdeen-Leeds service, so even that doesn't work :P (Although on a side note, I make c2c the only TOC to have services always going to London, i.e. always from or to) Also Someone said Stratford has third rail, I think I might be correct in saying that the new NLL platforms are OLE? Therefore it is only three power types, same as Highbury and Islington and Farringdon, and Wimbledon come to think of it.

Now I've stopped being picky ;) I think Raynes Park may qualify as being the only station located on a Grade Seperated Junction?

DLR uses third rail

Death

Established Member
With what little I know of Stafford (London), I can count 4-5 different types of traction power:
  • 25KV OHLE for HS1,
  • Another voltage OHLE (That I think someone mentioned up-thread, but I can't say for sure),
  • LuL 3rd and 4th rail electrification,
  • DLR inverse third rail,
    I'd call them Hamburg Rails as they were invented by and for use on the Hamburg U-Bahn. That said, I think (Referring to stickers on the pickup covers platform side at certain DLR stations) they're officially called "Torsion" or "Tension" rails, aren't they? :?:
  • Plus possible 750vDC TRE for NR traffic.

Is that really grade seperated though? All of the platforms are on the same level, and the only grade seperation I can think of in the Raynes Park area is where the up line from Motspur passes underneath the SWML! :?:

NSE

Established Member
DLR uses third rail

I do believe its a seperate system to third rail used on British Rail, something about a bottom contact conductor rail. It may well be the same thing, but wiki reads not.

Also, The point about Waterloo East being connected to two different tube stations may only be for a while as am I right in thinking the Moorgate ticket office will have a direct connection to the Liverpool Street Crossrail platforms thus giving those crossrail platforms two tube stations?

Regarding Raynes Park, yeah I know what your saying, it is abit sketchy! I was looking for something no one had said yet :P But the end of platform 4 cant be seen from the mainline as it drops away, so I guess it could be. However I can't think of one like in my experience!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.