• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Unique services

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivo

Established Member
We've had unique stations, so why not unique services? The definition of "unique" would mean an unusual feature that sets a service, or route, apart from all others. An example would be the Yellow Line on the Tyne & Wear Metro, which is Britain's only "pretzel"-formation line.

Also, I'm putting up another quiz, so do please check both :D

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

12CSVT

Established Member
Looe branch - the only route where the majority of trains reverse just outside a station (Coombe), with very few trains running into the platform to reverse despite only being about 7 or 8 coach lengths beyond the junction.

mumrar

Established Member
How about XC's services from Newcastle/York to Southampton which reverses formation twice during the journey?

Here's a very tenuous one, do the New Street-Stansted trains call at stations served by the most different TOCs with direct trains to London (VT&LM at New Street/Nuneaton, EMT at Leicester, EC and FCC at Peterborough, NXEA at Cambridge and Stansted Express at Stansted). That's 7 TOC's with direct services to London.

Ivo

Established Member
How about XC's services from Newcastle/York to Southampton which reverses formation twice during the journey?

Here's a very tenuous one, do the New Street-Stansted trains call at stations served by the most different TOCs with direct trains to London (VT&LM at New Street/Nuneaton, EMT at Leicester, EC and FCC at Peterborough, NXEA at Cambridge and Stansted Express at Stansted). That's 7 TOC's with direct services to London.

Stansted is debatable; otherwise it's a fair point...

...until you consider the first one you mentioned. Newcastle to the south covers Newcastle, York, Sheffield, New St, Banbury, Reading and Southampton, which covers nine (EC, GC, EM, VT, LM, CH, GW, SW, SN).

Rhydgaled

Established Member
Manchester - Milford Haven trains reverse twice (Swansea and Carmarthen).

I think the Cardiff Central to Fishguard Harbour service is unique, being the only passenger service to use the Carmarthen avoider line. I think this, and the return to Cheltenham Spa, are also the only passenger services to pass non-stop through Pembrey & Burry Port station. A very unique service pattern has Fishguard!

CarterUSM

Established Member
What about Motherwell to Cumbernauld service? I cannot think of another service that terminates at a non genuine terminal station at each end. Well, in Scotland anyway.

Established Member
Selby to Wakefield Westgate services reverse 3 times at Bradford Interchange, Huddersfield and Wakefield Kirkgate.

mumrar

Established Member
What about Motherwell to Cumbernauld service? I cannot think of another service that terminates at a non genuine terminal station at each end. Well, in Scotland anyway.
Four Oaks to Longbridge, New St to Coventry, New St to Wolverhampton, Birmingham International to Walsall, Nottingham to Cardiff Central, New St to Leicester......

Well, you get the gist.

12CSVT

Established Member
Some East Coastway services to/from Hastings calling at the same station twice (Hampden Park), the only services which aren't on a loop line to do this.

MCR247

Established Member
Some East Coastway services to/from Hastings calling at the same station twice (Hampden Park), the only services which aren't on a loop line to do this.

Inverness - Wick ;)

MCR247

Established Member
Don't think so.

EMTs 2315 STP - DBY used to call at Beeston twice, but it doesn't anymore IIRC

And the figure of 6 services call at Romsey twice, and they technically aren't circular

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Since the XC route through Preston was removed in December 2008, nothing, AFAIA, reverses at Edinburgh from Glasgow/Carlisle to Falkirk/Dundee.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Stansted is debatable; otherwise it's a fair point...

...until you consider the first one you mentioned. Newcastle to the south covers Newcastle, York, Sheffield, New St, Banbury, Reading and Southampton, which covers nine (EC, GC, EM, VT, LM, CH, GW, SW, SN).

WSMR passes Banbury although technically no journey can be done on them on the Banbury - Marylebone flow.

The Weekday 1346(?) XC service from Southampton goes via Doncaster and terminates at Edinburgh Waverley, taking in, in addition to the TOCs already mentioned, HT and FSR (if sleepers count).

So a maximum of 12 TOCs can be reached depending on your interpretation.

Coxster

Established Member
South West Trains' services between Guildford and Ascot? They even reverse at Aldershot enroute, and that's not a terminal station either!

Moving on, how about the Weybridge to Waterloo via Hounslow services. Weybridge has 4 through tracks on the Woking to Waterloo mainline with a journey time of 29 minutes, however the "via Hounslow" trains depart from a bay platform facing 180 degrees AWAY from London and eventually curve round on a 1hr 23min journey - almost 3 times longer than the other services between the same two points.

me123

Established Member
Since the XC route through Preston was removed in December 2008, nothing, AFAIA, reverses at Edinburgh from Glasgow/Carlisle to Falkirk/Dundee.

What about the Highland Caledonian Sleeper? With a bit of musical chairs when it's in Edinburgh, the portion arrives from Carlisle and divides to go its merry ways (one to Fort William, one to Inverness, one to Aberdeen). So, in effect, it happens three times a day in each direction!

I know the Brighton-Ore service stops at Hampden Park twice, once before Eastbourne, and again after, why not just stop it once???????

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I know the Brighton-Ore service stops at Hampden Park twice, once before Eastbourne, and again after, why not just stop it once???????

Because half the passengers to from Hampden Park would have to double back to Eastbourne and have the frustration of going through their station but not being able to get on/off.

Death

Established Member
South West Trains' services between Guildford and Ascot? They even reverse at Aldershot enroute, and that's not a terminal station either!
And adding to what ye've mentioned about those services; As far as I am aware, the stretch between Ash Vale and Frimley has the only single line working of any regular passenger trains within a fifty mile radius of London! :)

(That said, I'm not too well up in my Kentish and Anglian lines... ;))

Tomnick

Established Member
And adding to what ye've mentioned about those services; As far as I am aware, the stretch between Ash Vale and Frimley has the only single line working of any regular passenger trains within a fifty mile radius of London! :)

(That said, I'm not too well up in my Kentish and Anglian lines... ;))
One or two others then: Upminster - Grays, numerous OTW branches (Romford - Upminster for example), Kensington Olympia, Chesham and Mill Hill East on LUL, Walton-on-the-Naze (is that more than 50 miles from London?), Tonbridge towards Hastings (likewise?) and so on :) .

Status
Not open for further replies.