• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

United Coaches, Motherwell

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulMc7

Established Member
That didn't last long now did it? Only tried it for a few weeks before giving notice to pull the plug when services take a few months to get going.

Happens with most operators now sadly. It's either immediate profit or gone right away

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

overthewater

Established Member
However it does proves First were right to pull off the route. Maybe SPT should have Coatbridge - Baillieston - Fort route?

PaulMc7

Established Member
However it does proves First were right to pull off the route. Maybe SPT should have Coatbridge - Baillieston - Fort route?

Could be smart but Mcgills 310 is an spt tender than covers Baillieston to the fort so I doubt they'd double up on it

NorthClyde320

I passed through Coatbridge at the start of the week and stopped off for a while to see some of the goings on. United were using 1 bus on service 2 (despite what the timetable says), 1 bus on service 3, 2 buses on service 7, 1 bus on service 16 (keeping to timetable seemed to be a problem due to the volume of traffic between the Fountain and Langloan area) and 2 buses on service 13 (1 bus was doing the Baillieston section and the other bus was doing the Bargeddie short journeys with both buses arriving back at Coatbridge about 10 mins later than the timetable says, again no doubt due to the traffic and tight timetabling, the Bargeddie short journeys bus then went out of service towards the Faraday Park for about 30/35 mins before returning, this also seemed to be how drivers of the other routes were getting there breaks). I managed to find out from one of the drivers the fare from Coatbridge to Baillieston was £3 for both a single AND return, even he looked confused.

overthewater

Established Member
Its Not the first company to offer cheaper return ticket compared to the a Single.

lastbus

Probably a way of getting more of the revenue from the concession but Lessing the impact to fare paying passengers by offering essentially a free return.
This is exactly the reason. Same with First in Lanarkshire some single fares are dearer than an all day.

On the subject of United they seem to have acquired a 64 plate Optare Solo.

Going up in the world but still can’t stick to route or timetable.

Observer

I passed through Coatbridge at the start of the week and stopped off for a while to see some of the goings on. United were using 1 bus on service 2 (despite what the timetable says), 1 bus on service 3, 2 buses on service 7, 1 bus on service 16 (keeping to timetable seemed to be a problem due to the volume of traffic between the Fountain and Langloan area) and 2 buses on service 13 (1 bus was doing the Baillieston section and the other bus was doing the Bargeddie short journeys with both buses arriving back at Coatbridge about 10 mins later than the timetable says, again no doubt due to the traffic and tight timetabling, the Bargeddie short journeys bus then went out of service towards the Faraday Park for about 30/35 mins before returning, this also seemed to be how drivers of the other routes were getting there breaks). I managed to find out from one of the drivers the fare from Coatbridge to Baillieston was £3 for both a single AND return, even he looked confused.
The 2 timetable is a half hourly service so it only needs one bus, so I'm not sure why you assume there's two.

As for their breaks well you would assume they're getting them, whether they send someone down in a van to take over or just take whatever's spare to use for the covered run.

Hopefully the driver asks if they're wanting a return or not if they're both £3.

On the subject of United they seem to have acquired a 64 plate Optare Solo.

Going up in the world but still can’t stick to route or timetable.
Surely they haven't bought that? Considering the rest of the fleet consists of cheap purchases off eBay. Only time will tell, if it shows up pink one day. At least they get painted, if only they'd stop with paper destinations.

lastbus

The 2 timetable is a half hourly service so it only needs one bus, so I'm not sure why you assume there's two.

As for their breaks well you would assume they're getting them, whether they send someone down in a van to take over or just take whatever's spare to use for the covered run.

Hopefully the driver asks if they're wanting a return or not if they're both £3.

Surely they haven't bought that? Considering the rest of the fleet consists of cheap purchases off eBay. Only time will tell, if it shows up pink one day. At least they get painted, if only they'd stop with paper destinations.
It’s plain white with united legal lettering. Possibly leased?

Don’t know how they are getting away with what they do?

Paper destinations, erratic driving and forgetting the route and timetable

Observer

I understand one of the reasons why a particular bus has paper destinations is because of nonstandard LED equipment that was only really used by Ulsterbus for the most part.

Yet all you need to do is look on eBay for a Hanover or Mobitec set and replace them. It's common sense.

AlexanderPS

Anyone know if there's a replacement for the 13 service? Down to be cancelled from the 19th of November.

NorthClyde320

Anyone know if there's a replacement for the 13 service? Down to be cancelled from the 19th of November.

I thought they would have registered the 13 to go back to the previous service prior to the August change, the way it has been for years, surprised there hasn't been a replacement of sorts, I was also expecting a service similar to the old McGill's 215 service. Looks like more SPT replacements afoot, the Monklands bus network is getting worse and worse.

PaulMc7

Established Member
I thought they would have registered the 13 to go back to the previous service prior to the August change, the way it has been for years, surprised there hasn't been a replacement of sorts, I was also expecting a service similar to the old McGill's 215 service. Looks like more SPT replacements afoot, the Monklands bus network is getting worse and worse.

I think the problems bus operators have are that the train improvements have been huge there plus the amount of people who have cars is unreal compared to the number of people in the areas. Not 100% sure but I'd think going by being in Coatbridge etc a lot they probably have more cars per person on average than most other areas

delt1c

Established Member
Classic example why public transport should be in public ownership and operated for the benefit of the public, not the shareholders.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Classic example why public transport should be in public ownership and operated for the benefit of the public, not the shareholders.

Problem nowadays is that the money for it to be publicly ran just isn't there at all. Councils are getting more skint by the day if anything. Until councils get far bigger budgets it needs to be kept private

overthewater

Established Member
The companies like United that caused all this, more and more people no choice but to switch to a car..

PaulMc7

Established Member
The companies like United that caused all this, more and more people no choice but to switch to a car..

Yeah I absolutely agree with this. First's 201 seems like the only stable service in the whole Monklands area

overthewater

Established Member
No fan of united but should they just run the route at a loss then?

Overall there have cause the mess by having a race to the bottom. In the case of 213/2 Untied saw a chance for quick buck nothing else, and it's backfired on them. Tough luck for them.

delt1c

Established Member
Problem nowadays is that the money for it to be publicly ran just isn't there at all. Councils are getting more skint by the day if anything. Until councils get far bigger budgets it needs to be kept private
Never understood how private companies can run at profit , yet if run by local council it is run at a loss ?

Observer

For the private companies if they can get as much as they can out of the concession cards, fuel rebate, etc it's not much of a problem. If there's not enough passengers there you go.

Observer

Here is your answer as of today.
PM2002842/15 Registered (Short notice)
  • MCNAIRN'S COACHES LTD.
    Route: Airdrie, Broomknoll Street or Monklands Hospital or Coatbridge South Circular Road to Baillieston Main Street via Whifflet, Kirkwood, Bargeddie
    Service number: 212 (213A)
    Service type: Normal Stopping
    Effective date: 19 Nov 2019
No timetable on SPT's website yet.

NorthClyde320

Here is your answer as of today.

No timetable on SPT's website yet.

Hopefully a better service than what is provided at present with the 13/212/213. Surprised at United giving up Bargeddie as there has been pink buses going there since 2011 and Stepend for years before that, and always the route to get new/newer buses.

NorthClyde320

http://www.spt.co.uk/cms/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/service-212-181119.pdf

A bit of an improvement compared to the current 13 timetable, don't see Bargeddie folk being happy at having to go via Whifflet, Old Monkland & Kirkwood though as it has now doubled there journey time, also thought it would be the 213A instead of 212 (now two 212 services) :s.

The service will also interwork with the 101 at the Hospital by the looks of it.

AlexanderPS

Should try running it as a through service provide a link to coatbridge that Upperton/Greengairs haven't had since the 90s/early 00s.

NorthClyde320

Says on the timetable at the front it's being run by McNairns but on the inside it says it's McGill's

McNairn's now operate the Baillieston 212 on Mon-Sat daytime with the Sunday daytime service now only operating Baillieston-Coatbridge and renumbered 213A with a slight route change in Baillieston and req 1 bus instead of 2 on Sundays. McGill's still operate the daily evening service 213 to Baillieston, hopefully SPT amalgamate all the services together with 1 operator in the future. SPT have tidied up there website now.

Status
Not open for further replies.