• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

United States Presidential Election 2016

Who would you vote for in the US presidential elections?

• Hillary Clinton

Votes: 27 48.2%
  • Donald Trump

Votes: 9 16.1%
  • Jill Stein

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Gary Johnson

Votes: 4 7.1%
  • Another independent candidate

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • I wouldn't vote for any of 'em

Votes: 13 23.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Harbornite

Established Member
How could Jesus be an Arab when he didn't really exist? :lol:

BORING ANSWER: Most people accept that Jesus was from the Levant, which geography fans will note is not part of Arabia.

I don't care, all those towel-head A-rabs look the same to me! If jesus is one of them then my name ain't Dubya!

USA! USA! USA!

On a serious note, the Levant (Israel, Syria etc) is closer to Arabia (Suadi Arabia, Iraq etc) than the USA and I bet some Amricans would refuse to accept that Jesus was from that part of the world.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
That's rather unfair to a lot of Americans, as well as being the kind of stereotype that I suspect you'd rightfully find offensive if something comparable was said about - say Scottish people, or Africans.

FWIW I have a number of American friends - all of whom are just as shocked at what has been happening with Trump and the apparent anti-muslim racism as many of us are.

Indeed that is true, but some stereotypes are born from facts. Americans don't have the best reputation when it comes to patriotism and ignorance towards foreigners.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
Is "not an expert on the ethnography of the Middle East" an offensive stereotype now?

If that is what you meant then yes, that's not offensive, and I'd apologise for thinking it was. I read your remark in the context of what you were replying to - which seemed to indicate you were connecting with a prejudice against Arabs and attributing that prejudice to 'most Americans':

Ironically, Jesus would probably be too liberal for many of the evangelical voters in the Bible Belt.

They tend not to like Arabs who wear robes and preach positive messages.

Jesus wasn't an Arab, but I doubt most Americans could tell the difference.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.