• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

university course

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mole259

Don't suppose anyone here as heard or done the university course at kingston university near London?

It rail traction and rolling sotck, a 2 year course for a degree in engineering, its one of my university choices

Just wondering if anyone has done or knows about this course

It literally makes you an engineering which you can fix trains when they need servicing break down etc

It works around employment too, with SNCF, Serco docklands, One, GNER, siemens and a few others

Any thoughts comments suggestions would be helpful thanks :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheSlash

Established Member
**** off does it make you an expert. You'd just be an office boy who knows **** all but comes down onto the shop floor pissing off the blokes that do know about the problem. You'd be looking at possible ways to solve/prevent common faults, 99% of the time you wouldn't even know what was causing the fault.
Been there, done that, got the t shirt when it comes to university people coming into railway engineering depots trying to tell people how to fix a problem.
The minimum training period for a fully skilled railway vehicle maintenance and defect repair technician is 4 years, ontop of that you need experience for each type of rolling stock you work on, aswell as technical appreciation qualifications.

The Gricer

Sounds like you have quite strong feelings on that Steve! :)
I know what you mean though. In the electronics industry I've seen these graduates come into a company thinking they know it all and trying to tell engineers with years of experience how to do things. Trouble is the bosses who recruit these graduates seem to think that the grads with their text-book ideals really do know better the blokes with the years of practical experience which of course they don't!

Frank

Coxster

Established Member
The Gricer said:
I know what you mean though. In the electronics industry I've seen these graduates come into a company thinking they know it all and trying to tell engineers with years of experience how to do things. Trouble is the bosses who recruit these graduates seem to think that the grads with their text-book ideals really do know better the blokes with the years of practical experience which of course they don't!
Hmm, a bit more than four years too! 34 years IIRC, isn't it Dad? Not saying you're old or anything... ;)

TheSlash

Established Member
Coxster said:
The Gricer said:
Hmm, a bit more than four years too! 34 years IIRC, isn't it Dad? Not saying you're old or anything... ;)
Oi mate, when you know as much as your dad on electronics, come and see me, until then, just say say yes and no at appropriate moments. ;) 8)
Me and 'The Gricer' are on the same wave length when it comes to this. You can go on every technical appreciation course in the world, but its nothing compared to practical experience. Like changing an R4 brake block {standard brake block for a mk1 trailer vehicle}, you can go on all the courses the want, but you still the need the experience and physical fitness to change 64 in an hour and 448 in 10 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.