University of York bus services

Discussion in 'Buses & Coaches' started by tbone, 1 Jun 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tbone

tbone Member

As many will recall, York Pullman launched a Unibus 44 service between the University and the City Centre, with funding from the uni, a number of years ago. Now operated by Transdev, the services has developed and now runs with 11 buses, with a UB1 shuttle bus also being provided by an all electric Solo SR.

However, from next academic year, First will become the University's preferred transport provider. They are to run double deck buses every 6 minutes, with a UOY66 brand. They will also have permission to run services along the 'bottom road' of Heslington East campus, which Transdev will no longer be able to use. The UB1 service will also transfer.

Transdev have launched a 'unibus-here to stay' campaign in a bid to retain the service.

2. Deerfold

Deerfold Established Member

It doesn't seem to be a bid to retain the service but to make it clear they're not going to be stopping running.

http://www.yorkbus.co.uk/news.jsp?newsID=1419

3. Arctic Troll

Arctic Troll Established Member

Presumably the University of York can stop Transdev entering their property, so it should be interesting...

4. tbone

tbone Member

The entire route is on public roads with the exception of the Heslington East road that the 44 currently uses. Transdev will no longer be able to use this road and first will start using it instead

5. IanD

IanD Established Member

If an operator is willing to run the service without subsidy, one would have to question why the University of York needs to squander what is partly public money subsidising the other operator.

Also only allowing one operator on the campus sounds a bit like that illegal deal Luton airport did last year or so.

6. Skutter

Skutter Member

They might be willing to try, but can they give the same service guarantees as before, for however many years First have? The subsidy allows free travel within campus and was a planning requirement when the University expanded.

At the moment First also go on-campus but past Badger Hill, I would expect Transdev to switch to that route to pick up the trade which First will be missing.

For a bit of history - this is the route on which First used to have a monopoly, with rapidly- rising passenger numbers and fares. First chose it to launch their ftr service - new quick access vehicles, traffic priority, lots of publicity. This was in partnership with York Council, which assured lots of negative local press before it even started. The hardware and operating methods hadn't been tested and completely fell apart on launch day. After a while the service settled down, but Pullman were able to come along with some old buses and undercut the fares, passengers switched in droves. First moved the expensive vehicles away and matched the fares, and it's all been quiet for a few years!

7. yorkie

yorkie Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Bus wars are not very common in York, though First did have a battle in the late 1990s vs 'Bus Force', which was also competing with the Number 4 route, though I think this was only on the western side of the route, I don't think Bus Force ventured to the University.

The usual trick is to make your bus turn up just before your rivals :lol:

8. Arctic Troll

There wasn't anything wrong with having an exclusivity deal, the issue at Luton was how the Airport tendered for it. Basically Luton Airport started with the intention of banning Arriva The Shires from the airport because of a previous contract dispute.

9. TheGrandWazoo

TheGrandWazoo Established Member

Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
    There have been several skirmishes in York over the years with Glenn Coaches and most extensively with Reynard Buses/Target Travel though can't recall if the University was a battleground in either of those

10. tbone

tbone Member

There were two issues, one with the tenderng(which was dismissed) and one to do with a TFEU Article 102 complaint regarding Luton Airport's abuse of a dominant position to restrict competition. This was upheld by the High Court, hence why Arriva are able to run to the airport now.

11. Arctic Troll

The abuse was the way they manipulated the tender process to exclude Arriva, and the way they continued to allow Easybus to operate the minibuses outside of it.

Having preferred suppliers and exclusive access isn't an issue. If it was, railway franchising would be unlawful.

12. mikeg

mikeg Member

I wonder if this is the beginning of the university bus being excluded from PlusBus again, as it was in the FTR4 days?

If Transdev are so angry, what would stop them continuing to run it on a commercial basis? (oh yes, apart from money).

I seriously question though whether the University really needs a 'preferred transport partner' in such a large location. When I lived in Keele, a much smaller place, services were run either commercially or local authority tendered only and we got a fairly comprehensive service out of First and D&G. Only gripe was when First withdrew the Silverdale service 24 just after students had sorted out accommodation in Silverdale!
    Well, there were the odd arrangements with First here and there, and a tendered service to the medical campus, which started in my last year but the University never needed to get as involved as York does.

Last edited: 9 Jun 2015
  13. Deerfold

Who says Transdev are angry? And they are continuing running on a commercial basis (apart from one road the University will no longer let them use) - I made that clear in the second post.

14. tbone

tbone Member

The 44 will continue on a commercial basis but will run to Heslington East interchange rather than via Lakeside Way.

The contract with Transdev (and soon to be first) is a package along with the UB1, HB1 and CB2 services, along with the free campus to campus part of the 44/66. First also refused to run to Heslington East when the campus was first opened which led to Unibus' creation hence why the University has, up until now, encouraged students, staff and visitors to use the 44.

15. SCH117X

SCH117X Member

Seems to be a lot of dissatisfaction with First's service
    http://www.yorkvision.co.uk/news/si...-as-yusu-admits-significant-issues/26/11/2015

Last edited by a moderator: 28 Nov 2015
  16. bungle965

bungle965 Established Member

I have traveled on both services know, and i have to say that i prefer the Transdev, i found the drivers much more friendly, USB charging is also a bonus as well. One thing though, i wonder if they are thinking about replacing those buses that they are using on that service as they are getting on a bit now.
    Sam

17. yorkie

I've used both services, but only a few times so not really able to provide a proper comparison. Both were busy. I got the impression many people get the first bus that comes at bus stops that are common to both routes.

18. carlberry

carlberry Member

I assume his masters degree dosent include the connection between buses running late and having to stop ever time somebody turns up just as you've left the stop to try to recover lost time!

19. TheGrandWazoo

TheGrandWazoo Established Member

Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
    Surely if the bus was late "every time" then he would have had no right in catching it then?

20. the101

the101 Member

Exactly right, if the bus was on time he would have missed without doubt on the occasion of the 'I was running and the driver drove off anyway' tale. Notwithstanding that accounts of missed buses are often suitably embellished to suit the teller's point of view anyway, it's always much easier to blame someone else.

21. SCH117X

SCH117X Member

First are cancelling the 56 from 31 Jan

22. yorkie

I assume you mean the 66? Already? Do you have a source? What will be replacing it?

23. tbone

tbone Member

The 56 is another route that runs from Heslington East to Heslington West, and then goes down Lawrence Street and Walmgate, past King's Manor and on to Foss Islands. It uses 1 branded single decker.

24. yorkie

Ah I didn't know the 56 existed. I found a link to this but the page won't load for me.

25. Deerfold

26. Volvodart

Volvodart Member

http://www.theyorker.co.uk/news/triumph-for-student-union-as-first-returns-56-bus/

27. SCH117X

SCH117X Member

28. bungle965

bungle965 Established Member

29. backontrack

backontrack Established Member

What a shame. First do not deserve this contract.

Even worse - this means no direct bus between Acomb and the Uni, unless First are willing to combine the 66 and the 4.

Last edited: 8 Oct 2016
  30. ooo

ooo Member

Can I ask why you feel that First are not worthy of the contract?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.