• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

University project: Long distance travel research

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taurus Loco

Hi,

I am a long term reader of the forum and am conducting research into attitudes towards long distance travel for a PhD.

I'd be extremely grateful if you would take 10 minutes complete an online questionnaire.

This is available at http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/longdisttravel.

Please note that all responses are anonymous.

Thank you! :)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Hello again,

Thank you to all of those that have completed the questionnaire.

Just a quick post for anyone who didnt see this first time around and to let you know that the survey is still active and responses are still very welcome

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/longdisttravel.

Kind Regards,

Taurus Loco

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Just completed it for you Matt - funnily enough I had a meeting with Gareth last week about the MSc dissertation and some of the issues that came up were similar to the ones in that survey.

PaulLothian

I guess I might have added an extra option to Q.6: the number of people I am travelling with also has a bearing on mode of travel chosen.

An interesting set of questions, and I am sure forum members would be interested in seeing your eventual conclusions.

Taurus Loco

142094, thanks for completing the survey. Feel free to email me if you want to talk to me at all about your MSc dissertation.

Also, thank you DarloRich, chris 89, SS4 and anyone else who has taken the time to complete the questionnaire.

PaulLothian, thank you for completing the questionnaire and the interesting point you have raised.

Taurus Loco

LE Greys

Established Member
OK, done. One interesting thing was the comment on getting work done. There never seems to be the opportunity on domestic air, you're either stuck in an airport with the contstant worry that you won't notice that you flight has been called (it happened to me once) or in an aircraft with no table seats. Much easier by train, with tables and less worry (you'll notice when it slows down so not as likely to miss your stop).

Yew

Established Member
Completed it for you, quite a nice in depth survey as well :) fell free to PM me if you need any more info.

pemma

Veteran Member
you're either stuck in an airport with the contstant worry that you won't notice that you flight has been called

A lot of Airports don't make calls unless passengers are missing and boarding is about to close. You have to refer to the time on your boarding card and then check display screens for the departure gate and for any delays.

asylumxl

Established Member
I have filled it in but I have a question regarding the question on travelling on intercity trains for my commute. How would you define that? Perhaps I'm just a bit dense, but it seems a bit ambiguous. I just assumed you meant by the terms you defined earlier on in the survey rather than if the service or stock would be defined as Intercity (e.g. Reading to London, Bedford to London etc).

LE Greys

Established Member
I have filled it in but I have a question regarding the question on travelling on intercity trains for my commute. How would you define that? Perhaps I'm just a bit dense, but it seems a bit ambiguous. I just assumed you meant by the terms you defined earlier on in the survey rather than if the service or stock would be defined as Intercity (e.g. Reading to London, Bedford to London etc).

Intercity themselves called this "super-commuting". I think there was a brand called Intercity Shuttle at one point that covered the entire MML; the entire Norwich line; Leeds and York; the Birmingham and Wolverhampton route; and Bristol.

Taurus Loco

Hello,

Thanks again to all of you that have completed the questionnaire over the last few weeks. This is still available online at http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/longdisttravel for anyone else that wants to participate.

Thanks to LE Greys, asylumxl, Yew and jcollins for taking the time to reply to this post.

Asylumxl, the use of 'intercity trains' is to identify whether the person responding commutes on long distance type trains to differentiate these from commuter trains and the Underground. Apologies if that seems ambiguous, I hope that answers your question.

Kind Regards,

Taurus Loco

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I've just completed the survey - very interesting, I hope the project goes well for you.

johnnychips

Established Member
Just filled in, very interesting; no doubt you are well aware you will get a very biased set of results from the members of this forum and are using lots of other respondents.

Oliver

Just filled in, very interesting; no doubt you are well aware you will get a very biased set of results from the members of this forum and are using lots of other respondents.

Just what I was going to say. You should add the link to local newspaper forums, air forums, car forums, ramblers association, etc.

Taurus Loco

Thank you trentside, johnnychips and Oliver for replying to the thread and to those of you that have completed the survey.

Thank you for the feedback, I am posting the survey link in other locations in order to get more general responses for my sample.

Thanks again

CC 72100

Established Member
Very interesting survey, enjoyed filling it in.

Good luck with the project :)

Bedpan

Established Member
I wasquite happy doing it but, is it me or is the suggestion that it should take no more than 10 minutes to complete a bit unrealistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.