• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Unkempt lineside comparisons

Status
Not open for further replies.

mumrar

Established Member
As promised, and just as an example here are some unkepmt lineside comparisons from photos of yesteryear. I'll include dates where know, feel free to add any you like too

Vigo Bridge 2009
800px-Lickey_incline_2096201_7a6a64cf.jpg

Vigo Bridge April 1949

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

At_traction

Thew embedded 2009 image doesn't display at least with Firefox. The image link (as gouged from the page HTML source ;)) works well if entered into address bar, tho'. Just me, or?

Oswyntail

Established Member
Of course, a lot of the differences are to do with fire - either the banks were cleared because of perceived fire risk, or they were cleared by fire. I do think that, in many sites, the "unkempt" version is more pleasant to look at. But, like everything, if the growth is neglected and allowed to run riot it will have consequences.

curly42

Not the best of comparisons,I'll admit,but I think it does show what we're up against these days -

http://david-j-smith.fotopic.net/p68169770.html

photo taken in the cutting at Basingstoke in 1966.

http://david-j-smith.fotopic.net/p68169773.html

photo taken in 2009. The bank on the right of the 2009 shot was where groups of us spent hours in the early to mid-1960s - today you really have to struggle to gain access,and when you do you can barely see the railway tracks.

I've posted the links instead of the actual shots as a lot of people seem to be having problems with viewing them.

Status
Not open for further replies.