• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Unknown Marylebone station line on map

Status
Not open for further replies.

corfield

Hi,

Hope this is the right place to put this post. Basically I was looking on the net at the history of Marylebone and the GCR lines, and came across this map of the station as was with the large goods yard (since turned into an estate).

What caught my eye however, was the white/black line (I think that denotes underground on this map judging by the GCR and Met lines), that emanates as a branch from the Bakerloo line somewhere to the bottom right of the map (i.e. between Marylebone and Baker St) and after passing under Marylebone station, turns north once east of Marylebone, crossing back west under the approach lines to the station, and running into St Johns Wood station (opened 1939 according to Wikipedia) on the former Met Stanmore branch that became a Bakerlook branch and later the Jubilee line.

My question is, does this "under Marylebone" tunnel actually exist ?
Is it the Bakerloo Branch / Jubilee line ?, I thought that ran linearly from Baker St ??

1930map.jpg

I also came across this map, which looks very similar but doesn't have that.

6_MaryleboneMap.jpg

It might be possible to date them given an orphanage on the SE corner of Lord's appears to have vanished in one (and today, appears to be a fitness centre).

ps. unfortunately, the map extracts were from sites that didn't have the next panel !
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Came across this map, an aerial of London with the tube lines superimposed. Little hard to see, but shows the Jubilee line actually running East of the Met from Baker St, and nothing in the area of Marylebone other than pure Bakerloo.

anyway, it's always interesting looking at old maps !

tubegeo.jpg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Schnellzug

Established Member
If St John's Wood was opened in 1939, it may have been part of one of the plans that were drawn up during the 30's but not carried out because of the war, perhaps, like the Northern line extension for which Aldenham works was built.

bangor-toad

Hi there,
The line on the first map seems to show the route of the original Bakerloo line tunnels. These became the Jubilee line when that was opened. There was a fair amount of jiggery at Baker Street to fit the lines in and some of the allignments were altered.

Check out the great London map here It's a .pdf file

Cheers,
Jason

corfield

Cool, that link is very interesting.

It does indeed show the Stanmore Branch / Jubilee line following that route under Marylebone.

Curious - I really didn't think they use that alignment to get from Baker St to St Johns Wood, I thought the lines (which I assumed ran south from Baker St towards Charing X) would be North-South orientated and they'd run deep under the Met alignment.

Anyway - you've certainly answered it, the line is the real tunnels !

cheers

RPM

Established Member
If you sit in the driver's mess room at Marylebone you can actually feel the building vibrating every time a Bakerloo line train passes directly beneath, even though it is on the first floor. You can also feel it if you stand in the WH Smith shop at the far end in the railway magazine browsing area. The Bakerloo Line is directly beneath your feet at this point, as the map indicates.
There are no disused rail tunnels beneath Marylebone but there are disused foot tunnels that once connected the tube station to an external entrance building on Harewood Avenue.

corfield

Interesting - I pass through Marylebone quite often and will see if I can feel the trains. I thought the Bakerloo was quite deep though ?

I recall at University (Queen Mary's at Mile End), in one of the basement lecture rooms the lecturer often had to pause when the Central line eastbound train went under. (at least I think it was that - H&C/District is under Mile End Rd ?

Cheers

tsr

Established Member
I recall at University (Queen Mary's at Mile End), in one of the basement lecture rooms the lecturer often had to pause when the Central line eastbound train went under. (at least I think it was that - H&C/District is under Mile End Rd ?

The University of Westminster's Regent Street building (which, incidentally, is impossible to navigate) has basement rooms which are very close to the Bakerloo Line, and there are often rumbles and vibrations. These are not especially disruptive, however - no more so than those lorries on Regent Street.

ert47

Cheers

Its the H&C/District lines, running between Stepney Green and Mile End

CarltonA

To clarify, it's actually the Jubilee that runs under Marylebone, originally it was the Bakerloo when it took over the Stanmore branch in about 1939. Look closely at the top map and you can see the Bakerloo running under the street in front of the station.

RPM

Established Member
To clarify, it's actually the Jubilee that runs under Marylebone, originally it was the Bakerloo when it took over the Stanmore branch in about 1939. Look closely at the top map and you can see the Bakerloo running under the street in front of the station.

I was just about to fire off a reply telling you you were wrong when I realised you are absolutely correct! Never twigged it was the Jubilee as I had assumed the junction was nearer Baker Street. Fooled by the non-geographic nature of the Underground map!

silverfoxcc

On the map quoted by apx068 above, does anyone know what the symbols shown by two triangles with a line between, as just noerth of Woodford Station. I can get the tunnel icons but this bafles me. no doubt it is soething simple.

Dstock7080

Established Member
On the map quoted by apx068 above, does anyone know what the symbols shown by two triangles with a line between, as just noerth of Woodford Station. I can get the tunnel icons but this bafles me. no doubt it is soething simple.
Mentioned in "Legend" these are the boundaries for "First opening date of the line section".

silverfoxcc

Do you know i looked at the legend and it never sprang out at me!!. The 'arrows there are a little smaller than on the map. Thanks for the quck reply
Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.