• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Unknown Steam Locomotive 77

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcrail

Dear all,

anybody an idea, what locomotive this could be? I guess, it was build somewhere in the 1870s.
Original pic can be found in the library of ETH Zurich. The high resolution link is here.

Peter

loco 77.png

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter C

Established Member
Welcome to the forum! :)
I've just had a look on www.brdatabase.info and I think it might be this engine? https://www.brdatabase.info/locoqry.php?action=locodata&id=406015031&type=S&loco=77
https://www.brdatabase.info/locoqry.php?action=locodata&id=406015031&type=S&loco=77 said:
CompanyNumberDate From
Furness Railway77y/e1873

ClassD1
Company HistoryFR/LMS
Wheels0-6-0
BuilderSharp Stewart
Order NumberNo Order ID issued
Works Number2283
To ServiceDuring y/e 1873
WithdrawalDuring y/e 1914
Service Life41 yrs

DateEventDetailsSourceSee Also
1873To ServiceTo service as Furness Railway Number 77
Built at Sharp Stewart, Works Number 2283
1914WithdrawnCondemned as 77

I hope this helps - I'm not 100% sure if this is the right loco, but it looks to be of a Furness Railway design?

-Peter

pcrail

Thx Peter C ... how it comes, that you are also Peter C as I do. Was just irritated, when I read the answer.
... but many thanks !

I came also to the conclusion that it could be Furness Railway engine, but did not want to influence possible answers.

The design would quite fit, also the description found in Victorian & Edwardian locomotives, where there is also a pic of a modified sister engine. See pic below.

What was irritating me, was the design of the tender, which would more fit to a Ramsbottom Goods Engine, but no locomotive number fitting.

Other thing is that the number plate does not look like saying Furness Railway. It says Railways on the lower side, but what it says above it ... seems to be quite long words.

Regards
Peter

number plate.png
enlarged number plate from my pic

Funress Railway b.png
pic from Victorian & Edwardian locomotives, p. 71 Sharpy

LNWR.png

John Ramsbottom’s LNWR Goods Engine 1858-1872

Looks to me like North Staffordshire Railway on the numberplate, in which case 77 was an 0-6-0 built by Neilson in 1865.

Peter C

Established Member
Thx Peter C ... how it comes, that you are also Peter C as I do. Was just irritated, when I read the answer.
... but many thanks !
Haha - I noticed that too :) You're very welcome.

I came also to the conclusion that it could be Furness Railway engine, but did not want to influence possible answers.

The design would quite fit, also the description found in Victorian & Edwardian locomotives, where there is also a pic of a modified sister engine. See pic below.

What was irritating me, was the design of the tender, which would more fit to a Ramsbottom Goods Engine, but no locomotive number fitting.
Now you've said that, the tender does look more like one which would go with a Ramsbottom Goods loco - the Furness 29 Class' tender looks taller.

Other thing is that the number plate does not look like saying Furness Railway. It says Railways on the lower side, but what it says above it ... seems to be quite long words.

Regards
Peter

View attachment 98250
enlarged number plate from my pic

View attachment 98248
pic from Victorian & Edwardian locomotives, p. 71 Sharpy

View attachment 98249

John Ramsbottom’s LNWR Goods Engine 1858-1872
I think it's probably a Ramsbottom Goods then! :)

-Peter

pcrail

Found a pic of an NSR 54 class. Tender looks quite similar with asymmetric wheelbase and riveting through the centre. Weatherboard is also the same. (Sorry, no better quality)
North Staffordshire 54 class.png

What would also speak for the North Staffordshire Railway is the feed water pipe following the wheel guards.

feed water.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.