• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Unliveried Pendolino spotted @Polesworth

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThreeNinty

Found a pendolino stripped of Virgin branding working the 1S58 London Euston—Glasgow Central. (Sadly didn't see number) Is this to do with impending FirstGroup takeover? Hmmm...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bertie the bus

Established Member
I agree. Flowing silk was a pretty shabby livery. Half finished flowing silk, as per the Pendolinos, was just naff.

It's a shame it won't stay like that.
Looks a lot better, although it will show the dirt more :(

The_Train

Established Member
I normally like unbranded trains, but I have to say I prefer the Pendo with some colour to it....in fact lots of colour would be perfect

StaffsWCML

First Group have not even decided what they are going to call this line yet. Think they are too busy sniffing around at what 'cost synergies' they can make.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Do they still have any interior glass with “Virgin” logos etched onto it?

I don't recall there being any such glass. The windows on the exterior doors have it, but it's not actually frosted, it's a sticker, I believe.

People accuse Virgin of overbranding, but the word Virgin doesn't actually appear in that many places on a Pendolino or Voyager! It's FirstGroup that likes sticking (f) all over everything.

Mogz

Putting money on LMS in maroon with a contemporary twist.

First group won’t be putting their logo all over it.

GWR are still Firstgroup and have no
First logos, but do mention, in small letters “A Firstgroup Company” on their livery.

Bertie the bus

Established Member
People accuse Virgin of overbranding, but the word Virgin doesn't actually appear in that many places on a Pendolino or Voyager! It's FirstGroup that likes sticking (f) all over everything.
Oh yes, Virgin branding is very subdued. Just like on the Pendolinos they couldn't be bothered devising a livery for but still managed to slap a huge Virgin logo on.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Incorrect. There is no huge ‘First’ branding on either GWR or SWR.
But there’s like twenty SWR logos on the outside of the refurbished 444... Virgin Trains aren’t hugely in your face when it comes to the trains - and this Pendolino just looks naked. They could have at least left a triangle on the front, doesn’t have to be Virgin, you can get blank triangles :lol:

sprinterguy

Established Member
Incorrect. There is no huge ‘First’ branding on either GWR or SWR.
Nor on Transpennine Express, for that matter. First group have moved away from a homogenous corporate image for their separate TOCs in the past few years.
Formerly, you don't really see it on their new train liveries. Arriva likes putting "by arriva" everywhere though.
That's a recent development. These things are frequently cyclical. Arriva began to distance itself from a single corporate identity at the time of the Crosscountry franchise in 2007, and has only recently recommenced advertising group ownership across it's separate businesses, at around the same time that First group, well known for splashing the First "F" across everything since around the turn of the millennium, have begun developing separate identities for it's different TOCs where group ownership is only minimally stated.

Assuming the same players remain in the privatised rail market, you can probably expect things to go full circle again within the next 10 - 15 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.