• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

unmanned ticket barriers closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron1

So I went on a day trip yesterday and I arrived back into Cambridge gone past 11pm, the ticket barriers were closed and unmanned, I had no problem with this until it wouldn't accept my perfectly valid paper ticket, it returned the ticket but the barriers wouldn't open.

There were no passengers to tailgate as I was the last one off that train, and I waited for 5 mins or so for an attendant to hopefully come, they never, I wanted to get home so I just vaulted over the ticket barriers and made my exit.

Aware that my every move would be on CCTV I today emailed the train company who runs the station describing clearly the events, and I enclosed a photo of the valid paper ticket.

I'm hoping I will have no negative comeback about this? I had a valid ticket the ticket barriers wouldn't accept, there was no attendant, I had no option but to jump the barriers.

Surely it is there responsibility to ensure closed barriers are manned not only for health and safety reasons but also for any incidents like this?

I can't be the only person who has had this situation and under the circumstances I don't believe I have done anything wrong and I like to think the train operating company will agree aswell.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Darandio

Established Member
I really wouldn't worry about it, it's not your fault and I wouldn't anticipate a CCTV image of you placed on all station noticeboards come Monday morning. :lol:

MDB1images

Done it frequently, don't worry about it, I'd imagine you'd get an apology from the TOC rather than a telling off due to an error they've made.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I have pushed through barriers in exactly this situation. It is technically a Byelaw offence, however given that having unstaffed barriers without remote supervision is a serious health and safety breach due to fire evacuation risk it is unlikely it would be pursued even if they noticed.

island

Veteran Member
Very technically it is a byelaw offence but there is negligible chance of it being pursued.

Are you sure the barriers were not being monitored at all, even remotely? I’ve not been in Cambridge for some time but I know a number of stations where there is an intercom contrivance at secondary gatelines allowing one to contact the attendant.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Very technically it is a byelaw offence but there is negligible chance of it being pursued.

Are you sure the barriers were not being monitored at all, even remotely? I’ve not been in Cambridge for some time but I know a number of stations where there is an intercom contrivance at secondary gatelines allowing one to contact the attendant.

I have twice encountered barriers which were unstaffed and were not being remotely monitored with an intercom, so it does happen. Once on LU and once on the "big" railway, Luton Airport Parkway "offside" to be precise. In both cases I pushed through and nobody noticed despite the loud alarms triggered.

Haywain

Veteran Member
I have twice encountered barriers which were unstaffed and were not being remotely monitored with an intercom, so it does happen. Once on LU and once on the "big" railway, Luton Airport Parkway "offside" to be precise. In both cases I pushed through and nobody noticed despite the loud alarms triggered.
If they were remotely monitored how do you know nobody noticed?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
If they were remotely monitored how do you know nobody noticed?

They were not remotely monitored in the sense of there being any kind of provision to contact a member of staff for assistance, which unstaffed gatelines are supposed to have. It's usually a button to press, then you show your ticket to a camera. Thus they weren't supposed to be left unattended.

Someone may well have seen, and chosen to ignore, it on the CCTV.

Aaron1

I didn't spot an intercom, unless I missed it of course

Don’t worry about it. You’ll be fine. In the unlikely event of the police turning up on your doorstep (lol) you have tickets and an email to prove that you had a ticket.

Forget it happened.

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
What would of happened if a wheelchair user needed to leave the station?
It's not on leaving barriers closed while un-attended, it must surely be a fire escape hazard too.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
What would of happened if a wheelchair user needed to leave the station?

Most gatelines have a large gate now don't they?

It's not on leaving barriers closed while un-attended, it must surely be a fire escape hazard too.

It isn't allowed to leave gatelines closed without a means of contacting staff from both sides of it, so a rule was clearly breached here.

Skie

There’s also usually a red plunger somewhere on the platform side that will pop all gates open. Usually it’s on the gate control system, and in some cases above the height a wheelchair user could reasonably be expected to reach.

I’d have been more inclined to use that, as it at least alerts the station staff that the gates have been left unattended and helps other passengers encountering the same problem.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
There’s also usually a red plunger somewhere on the platform side that will pop all gates open. Usually it’s on the gate control system, and in some cases above the height a wheelchair user could reasonably be expected to reach.

I’d have been more inclined to use that, as it at least alerts the station staff that the gates have been left unattended and helps other passengers encountering the same problem.

On the LU gates I got stuck behind the plunger was broken, which is very naughty.

There are a few un-staffed barriers about. They have an interzone with a video screen and a camera, press the button, talk, show your ticket and they will let you through.

geoffk

Established Member
The "rear" exit from Exeter Central on to New North Road has unmanned gates. There are signs on the platform advising that they are "for ticket holders only" to discourage anyone needing to buy a ticket from making the long trek. Of course this is just a secondary exit and there is a ticket machine for those wanting to come into the station this way. There must be other examples.

Chriso

Cambridge only has the one main entrance and exit , there is no alternative remotely controlled gateline. I was amazed a few weeks ago to see one lone gateline assistant when I have previously seen 2 plus most of the time revenue. Seems maybe GA been short staffed but in this case if the gateline assistant left his post he should have opened the gateline or at least the wide gates.

Haywain

Veteran Member
My
I have twice encountered barriers which were unstaffed and were not being remotely monitored with an intercom, so it does happen. Once on LU and once on the "big" railway, Luton Airport Parkway "offside" to be precise
The offside gate line at Luton Airport Parkway has always had an assistance contact point with camera, video screen etc.

RPI

Established Member
The "rear" exit from Exeter Central on to New North Road has unmanned gates. There are signs on the platform advising that they are "for ticket holders only" to discourage anyone needing to buy a ticket from making the long trek. Of course this is just a secondary exit and there is a ticket machine for those wanting to come into the station this way. There must be other examples.
It also has a video help point

matt_world2004

Established Member
There should be clear signage telling passengers what to do if the barriers arrw closed and they ate being remotely monitored.

Passengers aren't psychic

My guess is some stations leave the barriers closed when not attended because they have a scorecard measure on % of time barriers are closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.