• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Unnecessarily long bus routes in the UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Glasgow and the outskirts are full of long bus routes that are just a bit too long and I would love to know if there are any stupidly long routes in your area. Can be any company.

Glasgow has the 2,3,6,8,21,46,57,60,65,90 and Lanarkshire has the 201 which is also extremely long.

Personally I feel like the full route for a bus should be 90mins max. What do you guys think?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

johnnychips

Established Member
Although it’s not designed really for through passengers, the Stagecoach Yorkshire 221 from Rotherham to Doncaster wins my vote. Diversions to an estate in Swinton, the Windhill estate in Mexborough, an extensive tour of Denaby, then the Conanby estate in Conisbrough add up to 78 minutes, compared with the not-exactly rapid X78 ‘direct’ service which takes 49 minutes.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Although it’s not designed really for through passengers, the Stagecoach Yorkshire 221 from Rotherham to Doncaster wins my vote. Diversions to an estate in Swinton, the Windhill estate in Mexborough, an extensive tour of Denaby, then the Conanby estate in Conisbrough add up to 78 minutes, compared with the not-exactly rapid X78 ‘direct’ service which takes 49 minutes.

Yeah that sounds horrific. The worst here is probably the 3 between Drumchapel and Govan. Takes just over 2 hours for the full journey and a drive between the 2 places would probably take 20mins

peterblue

I know of the 114 which goes from Preston-Chorley (about 12 miles) but via a ridiculous route, taking in a mystery tour of every single housing estate and village between the two towns. The fastest journeys on the quicker 125 bus take 40 minutes, but the slower 114 route takes about 1 hour 40.

PaulMc7

Established Member
I know of the 114 which goes from Preston-Chorley (about 12 miles) but via a ridiculous route, taking in a mystery tour of every single housing estate and village between the two towns. The fastest journeys on the quicker 125 bus take 40 minutes, but the slower 114 route takes about 1 hour 40.

Yeah routes that don't go far in terms of mileage but take so much time are never good

peterblue

Obviously, it's not intended for through passengers!

As for the slowest, direct, route where there is no real alternative (by another bus or train), how about the Humber Flyer between Cleethorpes, Grimsby and Hull. About a 2 hour journey where Hull is the nearest (large) city to that side of Lincolnshire.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Depends what you mean by unnecessarily long. Most bus routes aren’t designed for end to end travel but a series of overlapping passenger flows.

90 minutes seems rather arbitrary too.

The one that does spring to mind though is the old X4 that went Peterborough to Northampton to Milton Keynes which, whilst there was a bit of cross Northampton traffic to MK, was really two routes.

Might also add that a 90 min journey (or a 190 min round trip) may not always get the most efficient scheduling. That said, the longer the trip, the more risk of unreliability. As with most things, it’s a balance

peterblue

I believe the X4 doesn't go to MK now. Isn't there also a long Milton Keynes - Towcester - Northampton route too in that area? I forgot the number for that. Again, that's two routes spliced into one.

Edit: I just checked, I was thinking of the X89 but that has been withdrawn & replaced now.

Last edited:

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I believe the X4 doesn't go to MK now. Isn't there also a long Milton Keynes - Towcester - Northampton route too in that area? I forgot the number for that. Again, that's two routes spliced into one.
That’s why I said the old X4 - it has lost the MK bit. The X7 does still run from Leicester though in the same manner.

The X89 that you mentioned went a few months ago

wazztie16

Just looked at the Black Cat (Derby to Mansfield), that says 1 hr 52 departing 0830.

Can't be many longer than that surely?

Edit - 2hr 07 min departing 1530

Darklord8899

Long, but not necessarily unnecessary!
Borders Buses X95:
Edinburgh to Hawick is 2hrs 10 mins
Edinburgh to Carlisle, taking around 3 1/2 hrs (Sundays only, two journeys each way)

Borders Buses 253:
Edinburgh - Berwick-upon-Tweed is 2hrs 18mins

Borders Buses X62:
Edinburgh - Peebles - Galashiels - Melrose is approx 2 1/2 hrs

Stagecoach West Scotland
Edinburgh - Dumfries
2 hrs 54 mins (101)
3 hrs 4 mins (102)

Last edited:

PaulMc7

Established Member
Depends what you mean by unnecessarily long. Most bus routes aren’t designed for end to end travel but a series of overlapping passenger flows.

90 minutes seems rather arbitrary too.

The one that does spring to mind though is the old X4 that went Peterborough to Northampton to Milton Keynes which, whilst there was a bit of cross Northampton traffic to MK, was really two routes.

Might also add that a 90 min journey (or a 190 min round trip) may not always get the most efficient scheduling. That said, the longer the trip, the more risk of unreliability. As with most things, it’s a balance

Yeah it must be an absolute nightmare to plan routes these days. So many factors to consider and especially since congestion is such a big problem in most areas too

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
The X7 does still run from Leicester though in the same manner.

I don't exactly understand why - I've taken it twice from MK and both times everyone has got off at Northampton (except for me on one of those journeys, seemingly to the surprise of the driver). The only time I've seen any through traffic was travelling south from Leicester on the last trip of the day to MK - then there were half a dozen of us.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Long, but not necessarily unnecessary!
Borders Buses X95:
Edinburgh to Hawick is 2hrs 10 mins
Edinburgh to Carlisle, taking around 3 1/2 hrs (Sundays only, two journeys each way)

Borders Buses 253:
Edinburgh - Berwick-upon-Tweed is 2hrs 18mins

Borders Buses X62:
Edinburgh - Peebles - Galashiels - Melrose is approx 2 1/2 hrs

Stagecoach West Scotland
Edinburgh - Dumfries
2 hrs 54 mins (101)
3 hrs 4 mins (102)

I've actually had a look at the timetables for these recently and with the mileage involved it definitely makes sense as to why they take so long

scotrail158713

Established Member
Stagecoach in Cumbria have the 555 from Lancaster to Keswick which for the journeys which don’t go via the M6 is timetabled for 2h59 end to end. It is advertised as Lancaster to Kendal, and Kendal to Keswick, but is the same bus working the through journey.

Man of Kent

I don't exactly understand why - I've taken it twice from MK and both times everyone has got off at Northampton (except for me on one of those journeys, seemingly to the surprise of the driver). The only time I've seen any through traffic was travelling south from Leicester on the last trip of the day to MK - then there were half a dozen of us.
Stagecoach seems to have recognised this too. It was reorganised yesterday, now separated to the north (X7) and south of Northampton (X6).

fairliered

Stagecoach West Scotland 585 takes 2 hours 19 minutes to travel between Greenock and Ayr, including a convoluted route around West Kilbride which adds 10 minutes to the journey, and in one direction, passes the same stop 3 times.

CM

Glasgow and the outskirts are full of long bus routes that are just a bit too long and I would love to know if there are any stupidly long routes in your area. Can be any company.

Glasgow has the 2,3,6,8,21,46,57,60,65,90 and Lanarkshire has the 201 which is also extremely long.

Personally I feel like the full route for a bus should be 90mins max. What do you guys think?

I'd hardly call the 21 a long route, especially as it only goes from EK to the City Centre. I remember travelling on it when it was the 20 all the way from EK Bus Station to Drumchapel Shopping Centre on one of the Dominators that First Glasgow operated at the time and to say I felt suicidal by the end of the journey is an understatment.

PaulMc7

Established Member
I'd hardly call the 21 a long route, especially as it only goes from EK to the City Centre. I remember travelling on it when it was the 20 all the way from EK Bus Station to Drumchapel Shopping Centre on one of the Dominators that First Glasgow operated at the time and to say I felt suicidal by the end of the journey is an understatment.

The main reason I included the 21 was due to the East Kilbride end of the route. 40 mins from Gardenhall to Calderwood. Yeah I remember the 20 very well. The 16 and 18 used to be very long routes into East Kilbride as well

CM

The main reason I included the 21 was due to the East Kilbride end of the route. 40 mins from Gardenhall to Calderwood. Yeah I remember the 20 very well. The 16 and 18 used to be very long routes into East Kilbride as well

The 16 and 18 weren't usually as bad to travel on as the 20 though as the 16 and 18 didn't seem to get lumbered with the Dominators as often althoug some of those wee LO's and VO's were ropey as hell.

Alexbus12

Stagecoach in Cumbria have the 555 from Lancaster to Keswick which for the journeys which don’t go via the M6 is timetabled for 2h59 end to end. It is advertised as Lancaster to Kendal, and Kendal to Keswick, but is the same bus working the through journey.

Good job it's a nice route..

PaulMc7

Established Member
The 16 and 18 weren't usually as bad to travel on as the 20 though as the 16 and 18 didn't seem to get lumbered with the Dominators as often althoug some of those wee LO's and VO's were ropey as hell.

Yeah it must be something about that route in particular because even now the 21 doesn't get the best buses and back then the 20 suffered a lot

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Again, it’s one of those routes with lots of overlapping passenger flows NOT end to end journeys. For instance:

Lancaster to Kendal and Windermere
Kendal to Windermere and Ambleside
Windermere and Ambleside to Keswick

CM

Yeah it must be something about that route in particular because even now the 21 doesn't get the best buses and back then the 20 suffered a lot

In all fairness, the 20, along with the 16 and 18 got a share of the 54 plate Geminis when they were new but after that it was cut back to Drumchapel - City Centre with the EK section being replaced by the 21 and then merged in with the 6 when Simplish***y was dumped on everyone.

krus_aragon

Established Member
On Anglesey, the 42 bus runs from Bangor to Llangefni via Newborough, taking roughly 80 minutes. The far more frequent number 4 bus (and its 4A, X4 variants) run direct to Llangefni, in 30.

In my youth, I was turned away by a driver of a 42, who rightly pointed out that it'd be quicker for me to wait for the next 4 instead!

randyrippley

Established Member
Again, it’s one of those routes with lots of overlapping passenger flows NOT end to end journeys. For instance:

Lancaster to Kendal and Windermere
Kendal to Windermere and Ambleside
Windermere and Ambleside to Keswick

Don't forget its not so many years since some of them continued from Keswick to Carlisle

Stan Drews

Established Member
The Stagecoach East Scotland X7 between Perth and Aberdeen has a standard journey time of 3h45 each way.

Andyh82

Established Member
Arriva’s X18 from Newcastle to Berwick via the indirect coast route takes near enough 4 hours

Yorkshire Coastliner 840 from Leeds to Whitby takes 3 hours 30 mins

Status
Not open for further replies.