• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Unpaid Fare Notice - Newcastle - Edinburgh 8/10/11 - Advice Please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
There's a slight delay between the 5th post and being able. Not sure why. When you are refered to as a Member, rather than a New Member, then you'll be ok.

garethgray

Update:-

I spoke to an East Coast Customer Relations representative on the telephone and ran through my story. He advised that I must pay the UFN to RPSS and only then can I appeal. East Coast do not have the power to 'waive' the UFN until it has been processed by RPSS. He did say (in his personal opinion) that East Coast would most likely look favourably on the request for a refund but it would need investigated first.

I don't understand how East Coast do not have ability to liaise with RPSS to say that 'ECMxxxx' has been looked into and waived.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Update:-

I spoke to an East Coast Customer Relations representative on the telephone and ran through my story. He advised that I must pay the UFN to RPSS and only then can I appeal. East Coast do not have the power to 'waive' the UFN until it has been processed by RPSS. He did say (in his personal opinion) that East Coast would most likely look favourably on the request for a refund but it would need investigated first.

I don't understand how East Coast do not have ability to liaise with RPSS to say that 'ECMxxxx' has been looked into and waived.

This is standard procedure I'm afraid. I honestly don't know for sure why this is the case.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
East Coast do not have the power to 'waive' the UFN until it has been processed by RPSS. .
This is not actually true, as I know for a fact that the incident that occurred with 'zzip00' in July 2010, where RPSS insisted that zzip00 must pay, EC cancelled the UPFN and no money was handed over. In addition, in the Prof Evans case the UPFN was cancelled and no money was handed over. (Before anyone asks, yes I spoke to them directly, yes I am sure!)

The idea is utterly absurd as RPSS are only doing what EC are instructing them to do. Of course EC "have the power" to cancel!

Some people must think we're stupid :roll: Or perhaps they usually fob people off, and get away with it, as most people they fob off don't go and ask us experts!

General Zod

So Yorkie what would be the best advice in this case ? Talk again to EC and see if they cancel the UPFN or pay up and try to recoup the funds later ? Is it wise to part with money ( to RPSS) before agreeing an outcome with the TOC ?

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
My advice to anyone would be to communicate only in writing - it is much easier to highlight inaccuracies in replies that way.

I would also advise anyone not to pay any money. As has been said many times, it is much harder to get a refund once you have paid, and even if you are successful it will invariably take a while before your money gets back to an account it should never have left!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
So Yorkie what would be the best advice in this case ? Talk again to EC and see if they cancel the UPFN or pay up and try to recoup the funds later ? Is it wise to part with money ( to RPSS) before agreeing an outcome with the TOC ?
As Greenback says, communicate in writing.

* An appeal must be lodged with the debt collection agency ASAP as you only have a certain length of time to respond before they add a fee. Getting the appeal in now, extends the time you have and gives you a slim chance (admittedly almost nil) that they will accept the appeal.

* In addition I'd write to EC (it could be the same letter) - see advice by DaveNewcastle, AlterEgo, Greenback etc requesting cancellation of the UPFN.

* You are supposed to give the TOC a chance when contacting Passenger Focus, but I'd draft up a letter immediately anyway (and get one of us to proof read it!) After a few days, if no positive response has been received by EC, I would send the letter to PF explaining that, although EC were only contacted recently, you could not delay in involving Passenger Focus due to the deadlines set by EC and the agents acting on behalf of EC, and would PF be willing to assist in this case if a positive outcome is not reached initially.

Meanwhile I'd ask any newspapers I was familiar with if they'd be interested in running this as a possible story. But I wouldn't go with that option yet. If the 'paper said yes, and then if EC reply saying that the appeal is unsuccessful then I'd contact EC's press office telling them to expect a story shortly, but offering a final chance to negotiate a settlement. I would then involve the Press. I would expect EC to cave in at this point.

If all else failed then I would pay the UPFN - but don't pay it now as you have, I believe, 21 days initially to pay and I believe this is extended if you appeal (AlterEgo can confirm).

I'd also like to make an appeal of my own - to people who do not know much in this area and have little experience of dealing with cases like this - to please not give advice. Anyone who would like to get involved in providing advice is welcome to apply to be a 'Fares Advisor', the details of this are not yet confirmed but please PM me if you are interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.