• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Unplanned station closures due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sweetjesus

According to Twitter, Salford Crescent appears to be the first casualty of unplanned station closures due to the virus.

Can we expect more closures like this?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Sweetjesus

Yes. Obviously.
I was kind of expecting a discussion on this topic.

But it appears Northern has not notified anyone about the station closure.

This appears to be a wrong approach. What should a TOC should do if something like this occurs?

Sweetjesus

what do you think they should do, considering the current circumstances?
Perhaps inform the public?

Obviously we can't expect stations to open at all the times during times of difficulties.

However I expect train companies to inform their passengers whenever something happens and arrange an alternative transport when possible.

It appears Northern has done none of that.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Is this due to a lack of dispatchers?

Should we move to guard dispatch given how quiet things are?

No - because having a despatcher on the platform is an issue carefully considered for obvious safety and practical reasons. People who hold the safety card as part of their job - from "guards" to senior operational managers have quite enough to deal with.

Even one passenger on a platform - requires the "duty of care" etc , as opposed to multiples of them.

TUC

Established Member
Perhaps inform the public?

Obviously we can't expect stations to open at all the times during times of difficulties.

However I expect train companies to inform their passengers whenever something happens and arrange an alternative transport when possible.

It appears Northern has done none of that.
Given that Salford Crescent is an interchange station for many journeys which cross both Manchester Victoria and Piccadilly I would have thought it is a key closure to highlight.

baz962

Established Member
Blackhorse road on the Gospel oak to Barking line has been closed since last week. All staff self isolating I believe.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Blackhorse road on the Gospel oak to Barking line has been closed since last week. All staff self isolating I believe.
It is a planned closure by London Underground to allow staff to be redeployed elsewhere. In line with current legislation relating to sub-surface stations, the entire station is treated as one and accordingly part of the station cannot remain open when the station falls below the legal minimum staffing level.

baz962

Established Member
It is a planned closure by London Underground to allow staff to be redeployed elsewhere. In line with current legislation relating to sub-surface stations, the entire station is treated as one and accordingly part of the station cannot remain open when the station falls below the legal minimum staffing level.
I was talking about the Overground station , not the underground one , hence Gospel oak to Barking. The Overground staff , not the underground staff. This was last week and as I'm off this week , I don't know if it's still the case.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I was talking about the Overground station , not the underground one , hence Gospel oak to Barking. The Overground staff , not the underground staff. This was last week and as I'm off this week , I don't know if it's still the case.
The Overground and LU at Blackhorse Road is the same station. If the LU Supervisor/Manager and at least one other member of staff is not present, then the station cannot be opened.

On occasion in the last few days the station has been open, when LU have sufficient staff on duty to allow the station, and in this case, both Victoria line and Overground trains have called.

baz962

Established Member
The Overground and LU at Blackhorse Road is the same station. If the LU Supervisor/Manager and at least one other member of staff is not present, then the station cannot be opened.

On occasion in the last few days the station has been open, when LU have sufficient staff on duty to allow the station, and in this case, both Victoria line and Overground trains have called.
Ah well , when I was driving the route one day last week and was told to miss out the station , I was told that the Overground staff were short , due to self isolating.

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
There would seem to be no Northern services on a number of secondary lines such as Knottingley - Goole and Ellesmere Port - Helsby

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
I have noticed.

Some other routes are bustituted like Wigan - Kirkby and Lancaster - Morecambe/Heysham.

P.s. Why are you always having a dig at Ellesmere Port? You've been doing it for years.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Just a reminder that this thread is for the discussion of unplanned station closures due to coronavirus. If anyone wants to discuss anything else they are welcome to create a new thread in the appropriate section. Thanks. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.