• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Unpopular Classes of Heritage Diesels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schnellzug

Established Member
Indeed there is, and a few preserved 141s.

I wonder if there will ever be a 313 preservation society. :?

There certainly ought to be, as they're one of the most significant types of rolling stock; the first production dual voltage stock, and the first modern types (we know the LMS and LNER got there first, of course) with sliding doors, after all.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Yew

Established Member
As a younger rail enthusiast (19) I personally like the pacers, especially a 142. They are the units I grew up with and still travel on to this day. There are many about on the NR network, especially on Northern and Arriva Trains Wales but there will come a day when they dissapear completely and I for one would think it a shame if none of them survived.

As a few months older than you, Im the opposite, prefering 150's to pacers and all other sprinters as Im stuck in Pacerland

I wish a 151 was preserved though

Masboroughlad

Established Member
I have just got great book called a 'Decade of change' - about the changing railway scene. It makes a point of saying we should capture the railways of today as one day, they will be gone! When we are riding round on IEP, HS2 and whatever else we get, will we look at a 220 wistfully?! (Hard to imagine now!). It says that Class 37s were very unpopular when introduced.

As a kid, I was always disappointed if a 47 or even worse, a Peak turned up! lol. I'd love to ride behind a peak on the mainline again.

Went on SVR at weekend and rode behind a 50 - marvellous. (dreamful pause! lol)

LE Greys

Established Member
I have just got great book called a 'Decade of change' - about the changing railway scene. It makes a point of saying we should capture the railways of today as one day, they will be gone! When we are riding round on IEP, HS2 and whatever else we get, will we look at a 220 wistfully?! (Hard to imagine now!). It says that Class 37s were very unpopular when introduced.

As a kid, I was always disappointed if a 47 or even worse, a Peak turned up! lol. I'd love to ride behind a peak on the mainline again.

Went on SVR at weekend and rode behind a 50 - marvellous. (dreamful pause! lol)

I reckon anything that replaced steam would be universally hated at first, maybe even by firemen. The Deltics may have been worthy successors to LNER Pacifics, but they were not liked much. Strangely, I rather liked the Voyagers at first, when every single one was a 'namer' and they promised fast, tilting services to every corner of the country. I'll probably hate whatever replaces the HSTs just as much as I hated VP185s, and later MTUs. I'm kind of getting used to it now, but I still support the 125 Group and their plans to bring back Valentas one day.

Temple Meads

Established Member
When Voyagers reach the end of their days I'd bet my haulage records that they will have a preservation society and people will specifically seek out Voyager haulage.

I really think that will happen.

I wonder if 66s will replace 47s as the seemingly derided class one day. Maybe by the time i'm in my 50s/60s there'll be a deluge of surplus 66s and a couple will be preserved, clogging up the heritage railways. Or not?

Temple Meads

Established Member
I wonder if 66s will replace 47s as the seemingly derided class one day. Maybe by the time i'm in my 50s/60s there'll be a deluge of surplus 66s and a couple will be preserved, clogging up the heritage railways. Or not?

Oh definitely, they are very important for rail enthusiasts of my generation.

Schnellzug

Established Member
I wonder when the first 59 will be preserved, though there's no sign of them being retired yet. They're certainly very significant.
The trouble is, though, with anything from class 56 onwards, you'd really need an opportunity for main line running, as they're way to big for most preserved lines to have any need for (and air brake only).

Harbon 1

It's hard to imagine that Class 70s will be up for preservation in 50 or so years, if not all of them have burnt down by then :lol:

4SRKT

Established Member
I don't think anything, 66s or otherwise, will attract the level of opprobrium that 47s did in the 1980s. This is simply because there are so few locos around and so much more homogeneity now. In the 1980s there were lots of different locos that could drop and interesting ones frequently did. 47s were so universal that their appeal faded very quickly. If you were going to get bowled after travelling miles to get rateable traction, like as not it would be for a duff.

The opportunities to take such risks don't exist any more. In fact any sort of locomotive seems welcome so sheds, skips whatever will never have the same special position as 47s in the minds of enthusiasts.

Schnellzug

Established Member
It is the types that were the least successful back in the day that are the most interesting now, isn't it. Can't wait for the Metrovick to be running again.

LE Greys

Established Member
It is the types that were the least successful back in the day that are the most interesting now, isn't it. Can't wait for the Metrovick to be running again.

Probably because they didn't last very long and the National Traction Plan killed them off. Others, especially diesel-hydraulics and Deltics, were declared 'non-standard' and booked for replacement as soon as they were worked out. If the Pilot Scheme had been allowed to reach it's eventual conclusion without political pressure, some of these classes might never have got beyond the prototype stage. 47s and 37s were definitely 'standard'.

This begets the question, would we be moaning about all the 50s that were preserved if they had built 500 of them and only 100 or so 47s?

Paul.S

I would say personal favourites of mine would be the class 31/37/47. As a youngster these were common place in Norfolk and i also enjoyed hearing them. A fourth favourite would be the class 40. Though they were frequent in my area it was before my time so i only ever saw them in preservation and loved the whistling.

As to those i dislike i cant really say there are any... Though i think the warships were quite ugly in appearance...

Regarding preservation im a frequent visitor to the NNR. I attended this years diesel gala and was delighted to see a pair of 47's running, not just because i grew up with them...! The visiting deltic was also a pleasure to see and hear powering up Kelling Bank!!

PFX

The opportunities to take such risks don't exist any more. In fact any sort of locomotive seems welcome so sheds, skips whatever will never have the same special position as 47s in the minds of enthusiasts.

I know I may be commenting in the wrong thread here but I can only look on with envy and see UK-based enthusiasts being spoiled for choice these days on mainline and preserved routes. Look across the Irish Sea and the chance of getting a diesel hauled mainline tour with anything older than a GM 201/208 (which is still in traffic anyway) is pretty slim, the only alternative being the 071/111s which although still in traffic, are now between 28-38 years old and can't be relied on to make an appearance.

The preserved scene is also very limited with no locos currently being passed for mainline running and the ones that run on preservation lines amounting to 3 types, 1 x Metrovick 'A' 001 class Co Co, 3 x GM 'B' 141 class Bo Bo and 3 x Deutz 'G' class locos.

To that end, I'm just happy to see any diesel preserved, whichever side of the Irish Sea that may be on.

Status
Not open for further replies.