• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Unpopular Classes of Heritage Diesels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello

This topic (im sure) has been done before, but im wondering what makes unpopular class of loco on our preserved lines? Regarding the KWVR line up for their gala in may i came across a post celebrating the fact that no 47's/Duffs/Spoons were present.

I suspect that Bonnets/Peaks are held in the same regard. It cant be mass production given the justified love of a Class 37, and it cant be a british engine thingy given our appreciation of other classes with their Sulzer & Maybach prime movers, so i was just a bit curious thats all!

For me i do have my favourites, Deltics & Westerns, but equally 45133 & D1501 are two lovely looking (& sounding) locos on our heritage network, so perhaps its.........sound?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MCW

could be that, or it could be that people remember different classes of engines for different reasons.

Sound can be incorporated into that, I'm only young so I can't really tell, I grew up in the age of HST's and was only 5 when Privatization finally happened.

Sometimes I have to think from another angle as an enthusiast. If you think about it, the most commonly preserved Diesel classes are 47's 37's 20's and 08's (dare I say that) and that is probably because 50/60 years on from their introduction these classes of diesel are still working on the mainline in what I would still call, Mass numbers. Thus making the preservation of one of those four classes very likely.

I would say sometimes people get bored of seeing the same engines all the time and that is a sentiment I both agree and disagree with. I agree because on some lines, you visit it then you have seen it all, go back six months later and all the engines are still the same. If all the preserved engines got shifted around a bit now and then (moreso than now mind) then I for one would be happier to visit railways more, for travelling or photography as there is something 'new' to have a look at/ride behind.

Last edited:

ACE1888

Personally speaking NO Class is unpopular (47's included) but too much realistically unrestorable, is the main problem in Railway Preservation...preserving for preserving sake basically:roll:

Schnellzug

Established Member
Of course, the Enthisiast fraternity has always been notoriously parochial (going back, probably, to the days when it was the Broad Gauge or nothing), and people have always preferred one class or railway over another; it's a long and proud tradition. I expect one reason for the disdain that some affect towards class 47s is that, in the old days, they were so common on Passenger trains, while class 37s were never so common.

Rugd1022

To paraphrase a quote often used about the number of Morris Minors still seen on our roads today...

"Of the 512 Class 47s originally built, a remarkable 843 still survive...!"

They just seemed to be everywhere... expecting D1037 on the 13.15 Padd - Cardiff? That'll be 47 502 then! I have to say though one of my favourite preserved locos is 47 105, in it's current guise as 1693 in pre-Tops blue with working headcode blinds at both ends, it really does hit the spot for a 'chap of a certain age'....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21403537@N00/4219407431/in/set-72157606856838881

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21403537@N00/442484251/in/set-72157606856838881

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21403537@N00/4233704977/in/set-72157606856838881

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21403537@N00/1988245777/in/set-72157606856838881

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21403537@N00/3516513788/in/set-72157606856838881

;)

LE Greys

Established Member
Of course, the Enthisiast fraternity has always been notoriously parochial (going back, probably, to the days when it was the Broad Gauge or nothing), and people have always preferred one class or railway over another; it's a long and proud tradition. I expect one reason for the disdain that some affect towards class 47s is that, in the old days, they were so common on Passenger trains, while class 37s were never so common.

Agreed there, I'm sure I'm as guilty of it as anyone. I can't really imagine the "Class 66 Group", but there's bound to be something like that one day. Perhaps people fealt the same about N2s, but now there's only one left and that makes it interesting. Given the choice, I might go to a gala if there's going to be a Deltic or a 50 to see. A diesel-hydraulic or some other novelty might be good as well. But yet another 37 or 47, I've seen enough of them.

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
I never expected to get excited about seeing a Class 60 on the mainline but these days, what were the dull ubiquitous locos of their day are now rare and interesting.

I guess the annoyance at 47s is that they seem to be used as a generic heritage diesel these days, on the majority of railtours and diesel galas.

MK Tom

Established Member
I think a lot of people go to diesel galas wanting to travel on classes that don't run on the main line any more. I've never heard any suggestion that peaks are unpopular... but Deltics, Westerns, Hymeks, Warships and things like that are just exciting because you feel like you're cheating history and enjoying something awesome that isn't around any more. A ride behind a 47 is still awesome, but they used to be everywhere and they are still around quite a lot. 37s I guess are different because they link back into that English Eletric family of 40s and Deltics and whatnot, but I get a little tired of hearing them farting their way down preserved lines sometimes. Occasionally I have to stop and remind myself they're as fun and interesting as any other class and I've just spent too much time around them.

12CSVT

Established Member
It's just a case of personal preference. For example class 66s at diesel galas are of no interest to those who just want to see and travel behind heritage traction, but the 'red pen' men will go flocking to the Nene Valley galas to scoop another GBRF 66/7 for haulage.

4SRKT

Established Member
Speaking as someone who's been a crank for nearly 30 years my perspective is that it has little to do with reliability or rarity. It has a lot to do with the sort of workings locos appeared on when these attitudes were being formed. A large section of the crank fraternity is aged 35-50 and will have experienced services being progressively 'duffed' during the 1980s. This was incredibly frustrating as more rateable traction became harder to score. Worse than this, 47s would turn up on just about anything, and getting bowled was a real and present danger. I've told the tale before about getting up early in York on a cold winter's day to do the Dundee 27s in 1986, and getting to Edinburgh to find a duff sizzling away at the front of the stock. A truly sick making feeling. As the 80s gave way to the 90s 47s displaced just about everything that wasn't sprinterised. Peaks and 50s suffered the fate that the 40s and type 2s had few years earlier. 37s on certain routes with restricted RA were the only ones to hold the line, and this may have contributed to their popularity.

I can understand why younger enthusiasts don't get this. To them a 47 is just an old, claggy diesel. These attitudes run deep though,and cranks of a certain age will understand this post 100%.

PFX

I can understand why younger enthusiasts don't get this. To them a 47 is just an old, claggy diesel. These attitudes run deep though,and cranks of a certain age will understand this post 100%.

I've never managed to guage the feeling either way towards the Metro Vic, GM and Duetz locos still running at DCDR. Personally, the baby GM is the one for me as I was lucky enough to see them in-service (hadn't moved to Ireland in time to catch the MVs in action).

As for UK diesels, I remember them all with a fondness (form the mid 70s onward) that evokes memories of dirt, smoke and noise that has sadly been consigned to the past with the relentless march of boring multiple units.

4SRKT

Established Member
I've never managed to guage the feeling either way towards the Metro Vic, GM and Duetz locos still running at DCDR. Personally, the baby GM is the one for me as I was lucky enough to see them in-service (hadn't moved to Ireland in time to catch the MVs in action).

As for UK diesels, I remember them all with a fondness (form the mid 70s onward) that evokes memories of dirt, smoke and noise that has sadly been consigned to the past with the relentless march of boring multiple units.

And likewise I regard all CIE diesels from the 1980s with great fondness, not being aware of any local issues that may have influenced enthusiasts 'on the ground'. In this regard I am similar to younger British enthusiasts who don't remember the all too frequent pain of being bowled (usually by duffs, but occasionally by peaks or 31/4s).

GM078

I wonder could there be such thing as an unpopular preserved diesel class... given that the fact that it's preserved in the first place suggests it can't have been that unpopular, otherwise people wouldn't put in the effort and/or money towards preserving one!

Bevan Price

Established Member
I think it depends partly on (1) personal preferences, (2) how common the class is and (3) what you liked seeing / riding behind when you first got interested in railways. Tastes change as your favourite classes disappear, when you either accept "new" favourites or reduce your interest in railways. In the 1960's, I disliked almost all diesels because they were replacing steam. When steam had gone, I got to like diesels & electrics but some steam diehards lost all interest in railways. (They were even some people who only accepted they had "done" a line if it was on a steam train..) I never actively disliked any diesel classes, but those "rare" in your own area were always considered a bit special and worth chasing for haulage. I recall however, that there were groups of enthusiasts who considered "English Electric" better than "Sulzer" (and probably others preferring Sulzer to EE.

PFX

I wonder could there be such thing as an unpopular preserved diesel class... given that the fact that it's preserved in the first place suggests it can't have been that unpopular, otherwise people wouldn't put in the effort and/or money towards preserving one!

It could also be argued that it's often a case of what is available, affordable and fesible to keep in traffic. In Ireland at least, while there are numerous locos preserved, only a handful are still operational.

Factors such as parts availability and cost have to be considered as well as the popularity of a class. An example is the CIE G class. As locos go, nothing spectacular to behold but fairly easy to maintain. That may explain in part, why 4 are preserved and 2 operational.

PinzaC55

I have to say that in my "bashing" days the 47 was my least favourite diesel for the reasons stated before. However, although I was a huge Deltic basher unfortunately a large part of my interest died when they departed into preservation. The experience of travelling behind a locomotive in the company of a few hundred enthusiasts doesn't compare with being able to get your fave class on a service train when you want where you want.
Having said that, if I was at a diesel gala and I had a lot of choice my priority would be -
1) 55
2) 20
3) 26/27/33
4) 25
5) 37
6) 50
7) 40
8) 45/46
9) 47

Mattmatt

Neither here, nor there, but somewhere in-between!
Interesting debate; I have bit of a fondness for 47's only because on my odd trip to Birmingham New St in the 80's thats all that was going through, But I also grew up with DMU's 101 - 108s etc, So to see them flying about on a heritage line is wonderful, as it evokes so many memories.

I don't wish to mock any enthusiast about their choice of loco, as it is a very personal thing. For many the Deltics rock peoples worlds, for me (having spent many a day in the secondmans seat) I don't overly enjoy them, as the noise is just pounding your head - esp on two engines running!

I've been in most of the preserved locos that have travelled on the ELR metals in the past 8+ years, & I can't say that I have an overall favourite, as i enjoy being the 2ndman on all of them. The current fleet is a great mix, Although Im looking forward to a day on the newly finished 14. But most of all the the Cobo - years away - but will be a special day when that's out in traffic.

scarby

But most of all the the Cobo - years away - but will be a special day when that's out in traffic.

Too right! One could say I've been waiting for a large portion of my life to see it on the move!

Do you know when it's going back onto its bogies or is it staying lifted off for some time? I'd like to make the pilgrimage to see it even in a static state, but I would want it to be in one piece and not under a tarpaulin!

TGVDUDE

I like 47s but I prefer small sulzers such like 33s, EE engines appeal to me more, 37s mainly :) however I know someone who prefers 47s and can't stand 37s, another whose boat flouts exactly opposite! :lol:

Mattmatt

Neither here, nor there, but somewhere in-between!
Too right! One could say I've been waiting for a large portion of my life to see it on the move!

Do you know when it's going back onto its bogies or is it staying lifted off for some time? I'd like to make the pilgrimage to see it even in a static state, but I would want it to be in one piece and not under a tarpaulin!

HI Scarby, I believe that it's going to be on the jacks for some time yet. the team have been working the the 14.

Work is due to re-start in a couple of months, I can post an update then.

Interesting debate; I have bit of a fondness for 47's only because on my odd trip to Birmingham New St in the 80's thats all that was going through, But I also grew up with DMU's 101 - 108s etc, So to see them flying about on a heritage line is wonderful, as it evokes so many memories.

I don't wish to mock any enthusiast about their choice of loco, as it is a very personal thing. For many the Deltics rock peoples worlds, for me (having spent many a day in the secondmans seat) I don't overly enjoy them, as the noise is just pounding your head - esp on two engines running!

I've been in most of the preserved locos that have travelled on the ELR metals in the past 8+ years, & I can't say that I have an overall favourite, as i enjoy being the 2ndman on all of them. The current fleet is a great mix, Although Im looking forward to a day on the newly finished 14. But most of all the the Cobo - years away - but will be a special day when that's out in traffic.

Ah yes a highlight for me on a Diesel Gala is a DMU set running around! possibly because i was about 14 when they were phased out in favour of the 150's / 151 prototypes. And you cant deny they posess the ultimate viewing experience for a Railway Enthusiast.

Case in point is The ELR, as i had no grasp of 'The Bank' between Bury & Heywood until this year at their DMU Day!

Ps interesting comments all round btw :)

jrail1992

As a younger rail enthusiast (19) I personally like the pacers, especially a 142. They are the units I grew up with and still travel on to this day. There are many about on the NR network, especially on Northern and Arriva Trains Wales but there will come a day when they dissapear completely and I for one would think it a shame if none of them survived.

Schnellzug

Established Member
As a younger rail enthusiast (19) I personally like the pacers, especially a 142. They are the units I grew up with and still travel on to this day. There are many about on the NR network, especially on Northern and Arriva Trains Wales but there will come a day when they dissapear completely and I for one would think it a shame if none of them survived.

I hear that there is a Pacer Preservation Society.

Status
Not open for further replies.