• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Unrealistic pricing at exhibition trade stands

Status
Not open for further replies.

SquireBev

From Brighouse, now in Brum, via Worcester
Apologies if this has been done to death, but just what is going on with the cost of model railways?

I've just been to a local exhibition, and don't begrudge at all paying a fiver to get in, but the cost of second-hand items on the trade stands struck me completely dumb.

One particular stall was asking £5 a piece for battered old Hornby sectional platforms, and £30 for an shabby-looking unboxed Smokey Joe. Is this the going rate these days, or is this trader just trying it on?

I was hoping to get back into the hobby on a small scale, but if this is how it is I'll be sticking with Train Simulator, as at least there are regular Steam sales to make the cost more reasonable.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

trash80

Established Member
Yeah they are trying it on, i just had a quick look and you can get a second-hand Smokey Joe from Hattons for 19 quid.

Now if you want high prices try modelling continental narrow gauge... :p

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Apologies if this has been done to death, but just what is going on with the cost of model railways?

I've just been to a local exhibition, and don't begrudge at all paying a fiver to get in, but the cost of second-hand items on the trade stands struck me completely dumb.

One particular stall was asking £5 a piece for battered old Hornby sectional platforms, and £30 for an shabby-looking unboxed Smokey Joe. Is this the going rate these days, or is this trader just trying it on?

I was hoping to get back into the hobby on a small scale, but if this is how it is I'll be sticking with Train Simulator, as at least there are regular Steam sales to make the cost more reasonable.

You should see the prices at Model Rail Scotland this year, one stand wanted £105 for two Mk1 coaches! :rolleyes:

In general it seems the larger the show the higher the prices. I ended up just buying a few books, for a decent discount as well! :lol:

Spartacus

Established Member
Unless you get in early or hit lucky shows are no longer the place for bargains that they used to be, locos years old that used to be sold off comparatively cheap so they aren't filling up stock rooms now seem to often rise in price in line with newly produced models of the same type, so they cost much more than when they were first produced! I don't know if it's the costs for traders 'exhibiting' or what, although with a big enough show like York I've usually found that there's usually one doing a good deal on multiple rolling stock purchases. I used to go to shows pretty much expecting to be able to recoup the entry fee with 'money off' purchases, but now there's little to no chance of that. Not being an active modeller now, I just wait for bargains to come up online as there's no rush to get anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.