• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Unsuccessful after multiple applications for various industry front-line roles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Traindriver99

Anyone hear back from this? Heard a colleague of mine is having an interview next week
Hello. I am not english native speaker and I have been trying to become train driver mainly, but if my application is not successful at the beginning it would be ok to become a train conductor anywhere in UK or even working in any train station even as a cleaner. The weird thing is thar I have been applying for these kind of positions since 1 year now, not only in east midland trains but also in GrandCentral, Northern, GTR, Lner and so on. I have applied to more than 5 differents railways Uk companies when an opportunities come up on their website, and ALL have been ALWAYS unsuccessul and ALL where not successful in the first screening stage which was deciding if my CV was ok for me or not! Now, I have designed my CV exactly based on what the recruiters want to become a trainee train driver and train conductor in particular, but no, nothing ! The curriculum are designed not by me but my professionist, and they are definitely right! So, at the end, since march 2020 I have applied around 15 trainee train driver positions and around 20 for train conductor. ALL OF THEM WHERE UNSUCCESSFUL EVEN TO THE FIRST STAGE OF THE CV. I am really start to think that 1) or the recruitment team is crazy and want to hire ONLY UK people 2) or everyone that want to work in this industry must know someone to work there, especially for trainee train driver, and this would be in both cases really ridiculous!!! We are talking about a job that, after training, is definitely possible to do it! I HATE discriminations when get people stuck on not to give to them NEVER an opportunity, like in this case, NEVER to be successful in ANY trainee train driver applications, train conductor and similar. If someone in this forum can reply me and explain me this situation it would be great. Thanks

Is it normal for you guys not to successful NEVER after one year that I attempt??

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tiptoptaff

Established Member
It is common to get a job at first attempt. It's equally as common for it to take years and many many applications and attempts.
I wouldn't give up yet

Traindriver99

It is common to get a job at first attempt. It's equally as common for it to take years and many many applications and attempts.
I wouldn't give up yet
Hello and thanks for your reply. The problem is that is like to be surrounding by the Ocean, meaning that obviously the recruitment team does not say to you NOTHING about what was wrong or not, and I HATE when things are not clear. Usually the less something is clear to let you improve and being successful next time, the more likely that position is mostly for candidate who know someone already in the industry... I hope it is not like that.. I do not want to give up, but at the same time I cannot 80 years old to be hired, don't you believe so? And I am 33 years old. I think it is time to get the job at a certain point.

MO8255

Hello and thanks for your reply. The problem is that is like to be surrounding by the Ocean, meaning that obviously the recruitment team does not say to you NOTHING about what was wrong or not, and I HATE when things are not clear. Usually the less something is clear to let you improve and being successful next time, the more likely that position is mostly for candidate who know someone already in the industry... I hope it is not like that.. I do not want to give up, but at the same time I cannot 80 years old to be hired, don't you believe so? And I am 33 years old. I think it is time to get the job at a certain point.
Hello, I appreciate your frustration with completing a large amount of application forms. It sounds like you're missing the initial criteria for the paper sift though so it might be worth re assessing what information you're giving to the companies.

I'm no expert and I'm not in the industry but I've reached the DMI stage for both companies I've applied for. Specifically for GC they had a series of statements on the application brief so I simply put a specific example of my own work experience which I believe matched that criteria under each statement and formatted it into a covering letter.

Depending on your background it might be worth looking at a risk management related career if you've got no experience at all? Forces, police, prisons etc...

skyhigh

Established Member
Hello. I am not english native speaker and I have been trying to become train driver mainly, but if my application is not successful at the beginning it would be ok to become a train conductor anywhere in UK or even working in any train station even as a cleaner. The weird thing is thar I have been applying for these kind of positions since 1 year now, not only in east midland trains but also in GrandCentral, Northern, GTR, Lner and so on. I have applied to more than 5 differents railways Uk companies when an opportunities come up on their website, and ALL have been ALWAYS unsuccessul and ALL where not successful in the first screening stage which was deciding if my CV was ok for me or not! Now, I have designed my CV exactly based on what the recruiters want to become a trainee train driver and train conductor in particular, but no, nothing ! The curriculum are designed not by me but my professionist, and they are definitely right! So, at the end, since march 2020 I have applied around 15 trainee train driver positions and around 20 for train conductor. ALL OF THEM WHERE UNSUCCESSFUL EVEN TO THE FIRST STAGE OF THE CV. I am really start to think that 1) or the recruitment team is crazy and want to hire ONLY UK people 2) or everyone that want to work in this industry must know someone to work there, especially for trainee train driver, and this would be in both cases really ridiculous!!! We are talking about a job that, after training, is definitely possible to do it! I HATE discriminations when get people stuck on not to give to them NEVER an opportunity, like in this case, NEVER to be successful in ANY trainee train driver applications, train conductor and similar. If someone in this forum can reply me and explain me this situation it would be great. Thanks

Is it normal for you guys not to successful NEVER after one year that I attempt??
A lot of train companies require you to be within a certain distance of the depot for safety critical roles such as guard or driver, so if you're not within that distance you'll be ruled out immediately (unless they state they'll consider relocation in the advert).

It can easily take years of applications to get in, the industry is incredibly competitive. I seriously doubt that recruitment teams are discriminating against you, and from personal experience I can say you don't need to know someone to get a job in the industry.

Make sure your CV is clear and concise, and that you highlight relevant experience for the role you're applying to.

Stigy

Established Member

These roles are so sought after, often attracting thousands of applicants. It’s not uncommon for people to apply loads of times before being offered a job (if at all). At the sifting stage it may be sometime as simple as the weeding those who live furthest away out first, based on postcode (if you have a thousand applicants within the postcode area of the depot, and a few that aren’t, it’s easy enough to disregard certain areas without even needed human eyes to look over the application forms).

I can categorically say it’s not about discrimination. It will be about the volume of applications at this stage. You have to stand out too. You say your CV has been professionally written, but that doesn’t necessarily mean it’s a “stand out” one. Just don’t give up.

mic1610

As previously said I doubt your nationality matters. I was lucky enough the get through all of the stages and currently in the talent pool for TFW. English is not my first language and not once somebody asked me where I come from. I'm not related to the industry but have health&safety and customer service experience. My advice will be to look at IELTS if you haven't already. Not a requirement but will give the accessors confidence that you can pass the training

Daz88

Hi Traindriver99 , Like some above have already mentioned, some people have got the desired job on the first try and some have taken years and mutiple try’s to get there.

I don’t believe at all it’s because people know people and being there friends gets them into this business as because as far as I am aware the business dose not work like that and it’s more down to ticking the boxes that recruitment and the job require.

If you want either of the roles enough do not stop trying and I would advise to go back to the raw basics of your application and ensure that you are giving them what they require in that respect and ensure it’s matching for the job specification where possible.

keep your head up and keep trying buddy ;)

dzdoris

When I applied to be a train driver there were over 6000 applications received for that particular recruitment drive (not sure how many people they were taking on). I've heard they receive a LOT more than that for other TOCs so you can kind of see the the odds you're working against.

Established Member

I would start by sitting down and deciding what it is you actually want to do on the railway, and why. The quality of your applications will reflect that. It’s also worth noting that driver and guard are different jobs, with different skill sets, and you won’t be offered a role as a guard as some kind of consolation prize for not getting in as a driver!

I’d also consider getting someone to proof read your application as (with respect) your written English might be letting you down based in your postings here. Discrimination won’t be a factor - quite the opposite in fact - TOCs have robust recruitment policies these days, and are desperate to increase diversity in operational grades.

Jh199995

As previously said I doubt your nationality matters. I was lucky enough the get through all of the stages and currently in the talent pool for TFW. English is not my first language and not once somebody asked me where I come from. I'm not related to the industry but have health&safety and customer service experience. My advice will be to look at IELTS if you haven't already. Not a requirement but will give the accessors confidence that you can pass the training
Any tips on the DMI?
I’ve got mine coming up and bricking it!

mic1610

Any tips on the DMI?
I’ve got mine coming up and bricking it!
Read about the company but also about the job you're applying for. Was asled what sources I used or who I've spoken to about it, maybe visit nearest station and ask around. Mine was via Teams and I was told it's ok to have notes albo look into them

Jh199995

Read about the company but also about the job you're applying for. Was asled what sources I used or who I've spoken to about it, maybe visit nearest station and ask around. Mine was via Teams and I was told it's ok to have notes albo look into them
Thanks! How detailed is the interview? I’ve researched quite well so for but don’t know how far to go into the company.
I obviously want to prepare as much as possible!

mines also via teams for TFW

mic1610

Thanks! How detailed is the interview? I’ve researched quite well so for but don’t know how far to go into the company.
I obviously want to prepare as much as possible!

mines also via teams for TFW
Wasn't alot about the company. I researched the website, projects with community, new basics about the training and the job. I applied for train driver so they were asking for struggles I might have, e.g. fatigue. It's always good to ask some questions as well

Status
Not open for further replies.