• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Unsuccessful Application

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newapplicant

Good evening guys and girls,

I recently applied for train driver with Northern based in Leeds but unfortunately didn't make it past the papersift.

My question regards whether there is a 6 month rule before reapplying for another post (more specifically) train driver. I'm aware that you have to wait 6 month between failing the assessment centre but was not sure if this regarded the papersift stage too.

I'm also looking to find out if Northern are planning to recruit new trainee drivers based in or around Leeds in the near future.

Naturally I'm going to email their HR team, but figured I'd get advice first.

Any help and assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Indy3995

No it only counts at assessment stages not applications and sifts.
Good luck in the next one!

Supertrains19

Although the two strike rule only applies to assessments, most if not all TOCs will say you need to wait 6 months for that particular role before applying again, you should know most again at the first stage will not give much help in what went wrong as they are inundated with applications and would take too long.

Good luck in trying another TOC or with the same after 6 months.

John

Aivilo

HR won't give any feedback at this stage.

Normally a six month wait between applications and sometimes why people struggle getting through the paper sift .

Still heavily recruiting so Leeds will undoubtedly come up again

OneLowban

You have to wait 6 months to apply to the same TOC but you can apply for any other TOC anytime.

Stigy

Established Member
As has been said, 6-months is only for Northern as far as you’re concerned, so fill your boots!

Newapplicant

Natually I'd love to be with Northern, but I'm unsure of any other West Yorkshire based companies recruiting trainee drivers at present so feel like Northern may be my only option at the moment.

Thanks for all the replies too!

Bucephalus

I'm sorry you weren't fortunate with northern. I didn't pass their sift either when I was living in Manchester. I think the only other toc in Leeds is First though right? Possibly Freightliner is another one to watch for the area too? Oh, and I suppose there is east Midlands trains, cross country, and lner. But these won't be recruiting for trainee drivers at this very moment otherwise it would have got plastered up here fast

feaky4

What happens if you apply with in 6 months? Would you get an instant rejection? Would it not let you apply? Or would it just act like normal and reject you after 4 or so weeks???

Stigy

Established Member
What happens if you apply with in 6 months? Would you get an instant rejection? Would it not let you apply? Or would it just act like normal and reject you after 4 or so weeks???
You’ll be rejected at the papersift stage more than likely. Most application forms clearly state not to apply if it’s within 6-months. If you slip through the net (if that’s possible), and you’re found out later in the process I’d imagine they’ll remove you from said process?

Stigy

Established Member
I'm sorry you weren't fortunate with northern. I didn't pass their sift either when I was living in Manchester. I think the only other toc in Leeds is First though right? Possibly Freightliner is another one to watch for the area too? Oh, and I suppose there is east Midlands trains, cross country, and lner. But these won't be recruiting for trainee drivers at this very moment otherwise it would have got plastered up here fast
What about other freight operators such as DB Cargo? They recently had a bit recruitment drive.

feaky4

You’ll be rejected at the papersift stage more than likely. Most application forms clearly state not to apply if it’s within 6-months. If you slip through the net (if that’s possible), and you’re found out later in the process I’d imagine they’ll remove you from said process?
Hmm wonder if that's been my issue a couple times then I didn't even realise, Iv looked at other train driving jobs for northern and cant see where it says that i can only see it say about actual assessments not just applying

Stigy

Established Member
Hmm wonder if that's been my issue a couple times then I didn't even realise, Iv looked at other train driving jobs for northern and cant see where it says that i can only see it say about actual assessments not just applying
As far as I recall most rejection emails state you can’t reapply for the same job with that company within 6-months? You’ll usually be able to apply for other jobs at the same company though.

feaky4

As far as I recall most rejection emails state you can’t reapply for the same job with that company within 6-months? You’ll usually be able to apply for other jobs at the same company though.
Got rid of my emails now so cant recheck I dont recl seeing that but I do close it down quick in rage ha ha wish I new sooner would have saved time and change some choices ah well

Established Member
Just one point I am aware of regarding DB Group's application system. Candidates have been receiving the message "You have already applied for this post!" when they quite clearly haven't. A number of people emailed Northern's HR to ask about this, not one received a reply - I genuinely don't think HR knew why this was happening, but it does not excuse not bothering to explain themselves.

This comes about, I am told after a post is created, the HR staff use a fixed role/location pro-forma. If you've applied for that post at any time (maybe years ago) the message flags up - even when it's a brand new job advert. My only suggestion is to re-register under a second, new profile with a different email address.

Stigy

Established Member
Just one point I am aware of regarding DB Group's application system. Candidates have been receiving the message "You have already applied for this post!" when they quite clearly haven't. A number of people emailed Northern's HR to ask about this, not one received a reply - I genuinely don't think HR knew why this was happening, but it does not excuse not bothering to explain themselves.

This comes about, I am told after a post is created, the HR staff use a fixed role/location pro-forma. If you've applied for that post at any time (maybe years ago) the message flags up - even when it's a brand new job advert. My only suggestion is to re-register under a second, new profile with a different email address.
I noticed DB (specifically DB Cargo) have updated their application process to an online form now, from their old paper one. I understand most other DB group operators have probably used online forms for sometime, but they’ve all been updated from what I can make out, to a generic format across all of their companies, could this be where the fault lies I wonder?

Newapplicant

I can confirm that there is no mention on the email you receive explaining that you are not what they are looking for..

"Dear newapplicant,

Thank you for your recent application to Northern for the Train Driver Leeds position. We do really appreciate the time and effort you spent in applying.

After careful review of your skills and experiences, we regret to inform you that you have not been successful on this occasion.

We would encourage you to apply for any other suitable positions we may advertise in the future.

Thank you again and we wish you all the best in your job search.

Kind regards,

Northern Recruitment team".

Nowhere have I seen anything to say you must wait 6 months between applications (if failed at papersift).

I have taken the liberty of also contacting HR by email for s definitive answer on the matter and will post the reply once I have one.

Megatracker

I can confirm that there is no mention on the email you receive explaining that you are not what they are looking for..

"Dear newapplicant,

Thank you for your recent application to Northern for the Train Driver Leeds position. We do really appreciate the time and effort you spent in applying.

After careful review of your skills and experiences, we regret to inform you that you have not been successful on this occasion.

We would encourage you to apply for any other suitable positions we may advertise in the future.

Thank you again and we wish you all the best in your job search.

Kind regards,

Northern Recruitment team".

Nowhere have I seen anything to say you must wait 6 months between applications (if failed at papersift).

I have taken the liberty of also contacting HR by email for s definitive answer on the matter and will post the reply once I have one.

Was this for the December application or the March one?

RBSN

Good evening guys and girls,

I recently applied for train driver with Northern based in Leeds but unfortunately didn't make it past the papersift.

My question regards whether there is a 6 month rule before reapplying for another post (more specifically) train driver. I'm aware that you have to wait 6 month between failing the assessment centre but was not sure if this regarded the papersift stage too.

I'm also looking to find out if Northern are planning to recruit new trainee drivers based in or around Leeds in the near future.

Naturally I'm going to email their HR team, but figured I'd get advice first.

Any help and assistance would be greatly appreciated.

You need to wait 6 months before applying to be a train driver (trainee or qualified) for Northern. You may of course apply for the same position with any other recruiting TOC in the mean time.

Northern have Driver courses (Trainer driver courses) running until ‘at least’ December 2019.

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.