• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Unusual 33/1s in top and tail with 4TCs

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertclark125

Established Member
I was looking at some videos of class 33s, especially class 33/1s, on youtube, and came across a short video, with three clips of 33/1s with 4TC units at Worting junction.

It's the first one which is unusual. We see 33115 hauling the train, but at the back of the train, comprising 2x4TCs, is 33116. Both locos are clearly under power, but only the lead one is crewed. One question is, why was this done? A couple of mates suggest a problem with the controls of the 4TC unit, and 33115 was available to haul the set back to London. Any other ideas?

But my main question is, when the 2x33/1s are operating like this, is it technically possible to have a 33/1 at one end, connected to the 4TCs via the SR 27 way jumper cables, and a 33/1 at the other end, connected likewise, and for the driver of the lead locomotive to thus control the rear locomotive as well? And which one would be connected for the ETH?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

edwin_m

Veteran Member
The normal arrangement was for the Weymouth portion to be only one 4-TC, pushed and pulled by a single 33 west of Bournemouth and by a 4-REP further east.

I can't view the video but assuming this is taking the Bournemouth line isn't the most likely explanation that there is no 4-REP available at Bournemouth but a spare loco and 4-TC? As such they would have coupled the train at Bournemouth in whichever way was quickest to do so, so as to minimise the delay bearing in mind with diesel power it would lose more time on the way. This would most likley have been to attach the second 4-TC and locomotive at the London end as they would normallly do with the 4-REP. They could have formed it up so one of the 33s was in the middle, but that would have prevented people walking through the train.

eastwestdivide

Established Member
I can't view the video but assuming this is taking the Bournemouth line ...
I can view the video and it looks to me like it's coming from the Salisbury line towards London.
The headcode is not quite legible to me, but it doesn't look like the normal '62' or '63' for Salisbury line services. However, the YouTube caption says it's a Salisbury-Waterloo service on Friday 14 April 1989.

strimmer

I believe this is a scheduled service. I have a picture taken in August 1988 of the 08:39 Yeovil Junction-Waterloo. It comprises two TC Units top & tailed by 33106 and 33113. One TC Unit travelled up from Yeovil with the 33 at the rear. At Salisbury this attached to the second TC Unit which had the 33 on the front, before continuing on to Waterloo.

40fan

As strimmer says, there were diagrams for 2 x 33/1 and TC stock. One example from 1988/89 being
the 0839SX Yeovil Junction to Waterloo, which was attatched to the 0935SX Saliabury to Waterloo. The locos then went on to work the 1210SX Waterloo to Gillingham (Dorset) and the 1600SX Clapham Junction to Kensington Olympia.

Veteran Member
As strimmer says, there were diagrams for 2 x 33/1 and TC stock. One example from 1988/89 being
the 0839SX Yeovil Junction to Waterloo, which was attatched to the 0935SX Saliabury to Waterloo. The locos then went on to work the 1210SX Waterloo to Gillingham (Dorset) and the 1600SX Clapham Junction to Kensington Olympia.
Just to clarify (it may not be obvious to everyone): the sets split at Waterloo.
I'd be pretty sure that the set attached at Salisbury had already done London or Basingstoke and back as well.

Bedpan

Established Member
I regularly used to see a train towards the end of the morning rush hour which consisted of a 33, 4-TC unit and two 4-VEPS. The 33 and 4-TC came from Salisbury and the 4-VEPS from the Bournemouth line (don't know where they actually started) and they used to combine at Basingstoke. The consist was usually in the order I have stated but occasionally, if the Salisbury portion was delayed, it would couple on the back with the loco between the eighth and ninth carriages. It used to stop at Surbiton as far as I can recall, and was possibly the only loco hauled passenger train to stop there.

big all

On Moderation
as an aside as a man or boy once had a 4tc on a redhill to reading crompton hauled very unusual but was purely as hauled stock as the crompton was not push pull fitted

Status
Not open for further replies.