• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Unusual amenities at stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

MotCO

Established Member
I've noticed that the waiting room on platform 1 at Orpington now boasts a Brio wooden train set and a dolls house. I'm sure that these are very welcome to keep younger passengers amused.

Are there any other unusual amenities at stations?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dr Hoo

Established Member
I've noticed that the waiting room on platform 1 at Orpington now boasts a Brio wooden train set and a dolls house. I'm sure that these are very welcome to keep younger passengers amused.

Are there any other unusual amenities at stations?
Hope (Derbyshire) has a ticket machine that is unshaded and faces straight into the morning sun. The other morning it kept no fewer than twenty older passengers bemused as they tried and failed to make purchases for the busy first off-peak 09XX services to Manchester and Sheffield.

There used to be (and possibly still is) a stuffed dog called Laddie at Wimbledon station, with a collection box for the railway orphanage. Is he still there?

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I'm sure Berwick Upon Tweed has a waiting room with a selection of books in it. And isn't there some sort of museum in the platform building at Dumbarton Central?

Trainfan2019

Dog water bowls at Stockport and I'm sure I've seen a selection of books to read at Stockport too.

Parallel

Established Member
Bath Spa has a chapel on the Platform 1 side, but I think it is permanently locked now.

hwl

Established Member
The picture framers on the York bound platform at Knaresborough.

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Model Railway Club on one of the platforms at Shrewsbury.
Small museum in the Signalbox and a book shop in the main building at Llandrindod Wells.
There was a model railway, as used in the programme Hinterland/Yr Wyllt, at Borth but I think it may have been moved.

LewFinnis

Martin Mill has a lot of items of local interest (photos, articles etc). Not that all that many can see it as the station building is only open until 1030 Monday to Friday! In the good old days it was the only station in the country where the ticket office, signal box and post office were all in the same room and had the same staff.

Melancholia

Last time I visited Thames Ditton a few months back, the waiting room there had a jigsaw puzzle. Helped by putting a few pieces.

sw1ller

Established Member
Nantwich has an Indian restaurant. Seems quite busy most times I pass.

Craig2601

Aviemore has an Australian restaurant with an entrance from the platform.

geoffk

Established Member
Quite a few stations have libraries of paperbacks - Todmorden and Hebden Bridge both do. Also Chathill, useful if you miss your train and have a 12-hour wait for the next. There is a small museum at Borth, not visited as I was only there in the evening, art gallery at Clitheroe and recently also at Bolton.

Ken H

On Moderation
Brussel centraal has a royal waiting room.

I went to some special event there and saw the royal waiting room - there are huge caverns under the area there from when the inter-connection was built. They had a pop up cinema down there.

Lemmy99uk

As well as a museum with a large model railway, Millom has an Upholstery and Antique Restoration shop allowing you to drop your sofa off before your morning commute.

Revilo

Worcester foregate street platform 1 (?) has an art gallery, complete with (ex) London Midland sign pointing the way

Status
Not open for further replies.