• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Unusual animals that can be seen from UK trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Following on from the beached whale near Dawlish story, what other unusual animals can be seen from a UK railway?

On the routes I drive we have the Crayford spur emus- judging by how they keep coming up to the boundary fence I suspect that drivers are chucking a bit of food to them when held on the spur.

I have also had a large bird of prey flying next to the cab several times between Gravesend and Hoo jct.

Other ones I can think of are the zoo animals which can be seen from the Severn Valley plus the alpacas in a couple of lineside farms

There used to be wild boar in a wood next the Tenterden bank- as some lineside photographers discovered to their cost! and minature horses next to (appropriately) the RHDR just past New Romney towards Dungeness.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Following on from the beached whale near Dawlish story, what other unusual animals can be seen from a UK railway?

On the routes I drive we have the Crayford spur emus- judging by how they keep coming up to the boundary fence I suspect that drivers are chucking a bit of food to them when held on the spur.

I have also had a large bird of prey flying next to the cab several times between Gravesend and Hoo jct.

Other ones I can think of are the zoo animals which can be seen from the Severn Valley plus the alpacas in a couple of lineside farms

There used to be wild boar in a wood next the Tenterden bank- as some lineside photographers discovered to their cost! and minature horses next to (appropriately) the RHDR just past New Romney towards Dungeness.

I once saw a Badger from a train many years ago near Horsley in Surrey.

ComUtoR

Established Member
There's a Deer that lives down the Mid Kent. I never used to believe it and put it down as urban legend but I saw it myself a while back.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I once saw a Badger from a train many years ago near Horsley in Surrey.

I know I've been fished in but I probably see about 4/5 a week. Usually in the same spot...

neilmc

Various species of deer can be spotted, especially in Scotland. The Silverdale area is always good, and I've seen a Water Rail on the Morecambe Bay marshes, which was bettered by my wife who once glimpsed a Corncrake near the level crossing coming into Silverdale which was actually on the RSPB reserve at Leighton Moss but couldn't be seen from any of the hides!

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Not sure if you can see Shepreth Wildlife Park's Tiger enclosure on the way past.

Once saw a club(?) of seals on a beach south of Helmsdale.

cf111

Established Member
Various species of deer can be spotted, especially in Scotland. The Silverdale area is always good, and I've seen a Water Rail on the Morecambe Bay marshes, which was bettered by my wife who once glimpsed a Corncrake near the level crossing coming into Silverdale which was actually on the RSPB reserve at Leighton Moss but couldn't be seen from any of the hides!

You can sometimes masses of deer on the Far North Line between Scotscalder and Helmsdale, it's beautiful.

Darandio

Established Member
Often see some unusual species when travelling through Middlesbrough station on a night. Still haven't been able to identify their origin though.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
There's some very strange feral creatures passing through Leeds station every other Saturday. Generally they have a white/pink coat with bright red faces, just about bi-pedal in gait, with a distinctive mating call that sounds like "Maaaaarchinontogevvvaaaagh!"

Orchid

The most interesting thing I have seen is an Osprey just sat on a fence post right by the lineside. Also a couple of Little owls and the odd barn owl. Saw a weasel/stoat once run across in front of the train (couldn't tell which). I was looking out for the lammergeier when it was around recently but didn't see it.

Veteran Member
Not UK but I photographed camels from the Radebeul narrow-gauge near Dresden some years ago.

thenorthern

Established Member
I think there are some alpacas near Stoke-on-Trent that I have seen on the train.

Of course on the train I have seen many "friendly" aggressive looking dogs who like to bark on the train but that's another story.

fergusjbend

That would be a Common Buzzard or a Marsh Harrier - both quite numerous on the north Kent marshes.

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
I saw Deer and Hares near Barnetby last time.

But unusual animals (not urban, standard pet or farm related), no.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Not UK but I photographed camels from the Radebeul narrow-gauge near Dresden some years ago.

Even saw camels on the track at Cardiff Central back in the 70s when quickly rising floods drove them out of a circus in Sophia Gardens. They went through the streets trying to escape the waters and found their way towards the station and somehow managed to get onto the tracks. They were on Platform 7 and the old Riverside platforms used for Parcels vehicles.

Many types of animals can be seen from the Severn Valley Railway near Bewdley when passing the West Midlands Safari Park.

mrcheek

Established Member
I always enjoy seeing the Shetland Ponies on the Far North Line

You can also see a few on the York to Harrogate line

physics34

Established Member
Used be be a Llama in a farm between Crowborough and Eridge (protected the sheep i hear)...

and there used to be a Donkey in a back garden which backed onto a platform at Ashurst...

Add to that a pair of geese who used to wonder around a field near Eridge too. The uckfield line is like a farmyard....

I havent mentioned the chickens, pigs, horses and cows either!

Bookd

Severn Valley has been mentioned; when on a trip with friends earlier this year and I casually mentioned the rhinoceros outside they thought I was made until they looked out of the window!

theageofthetra

On Moderation
There's a Deer that lives down the Mid Kent. I never used to believe it and put it down as urban legend but I saw it myself a while back.

I know I've been fished in but I probably see about 4/5 a week. Usually in the same spot...

Yes forgot about the Hayes deer. Its a strange minature breed and I've seen it twice between West Wickham & Hayes.

najaB

Veteran Member
Often see seals sunning themselves on rocks and banks in both the Tay and Forth when travelling between Dundee and Edinburgh. Seen the occasional dolphin in the Tay.

theageofthetra

On Moderation

That would be a Common Buzzard or a Marsh Harrier - both quite numerous on the north Kent marshes.

Thanks- it flew right alongside the open cab window easily matching the 50mph and gave me a right nasty look!
Used be be a Llama in a farm between Crowborough and Eridge (protected the sheep i hear)...

and there used to be a Donkey in a back garden which backed onto a platform at Ashurst...

Add to that a pair of geese who used to wonder around a field near Eridge too. The uckfield line is like a farmyard....

I havent mentioned the chickens, pigs, horses and cows either!

The emus are for the same sheep protection purpose I believe, having encountered them in the Flinders ranges in SA they are highly territorial and mostly angry (rather like the Slade Green clientele)

bnm

Established Member
Masses of Fallow Deer, several hundred, to be seen at the Powderham Estate between Exeter St Thomas and Starcross. Of course most people on this stretch of line prefer the view from the other side of the carriage.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
You can sometimes masses of deer on the Far North Line between Scotscalder and Helmsdale, it's beautiful.

Some fine stags among them too, in the valley just north of Helmsdale.
On the other side of Helmsdale towards Brora you can see seals on the beach.

There's also a herd of deer on top of the grassed wartime shelter alongside the line at Beeston Castle between Crewe and Chester.

Red kites are now ten a penny flying around the Chilterns (High Wycombe and Reading to Banbury).
Plenty of owls in the woodland alongside the Wherry lines out of Norwich.

And the celebrated Dyfi osprey nest near Dovey Jn on the Cambrian (right next to the line).

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Last edited:

randyrippley

Established Member
everyone sees rabbits everywhere, but around 20-25 years ago the ones seen NE of Carnforth on the line to Leeds were almost universally black. The local belief was that black ones were more adaptable to living above ground rather than in burrows, so were less exposed to fleas and thus less at risk of myxomatosis. The population has reverted to normal now, but black was predominant for several years.

route:oxford

Established Member
Didn't passengers report a chap caught engaging in intimacy with a llama somewhere between London and Reading? I'm sure it ended up in court.

I can't think of reasonable search engine terms to find the story though...

Status
Not open for further replies.