• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Unusual animals that can be seen from UK trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

JB_B

Established Member
Most mammals to a greater or lesser extent, have the occurence of albinism (if that's the right word). In wild populations these individuals are unlikely to survive beyond infancy due to being more vulnerable to predators or to being rejected. I'm not sure how common major variations in colouring are in the Mainland population of Greys, nor if there are pockets of populations of other varieties of squirrel. But albinos do survive to adulthood on occasion, so this may explain your white squirrel. Were you close enough to see if it had red eyes?

Yes, albinism was was my first thought - I didn't get a close enough look to tell properly - certainly it was fully grown.

It was a very bright white and, although I didn't see anything unusual about the eyes, pink would have been sufficiently contrastive not to have been noticeable at a distance. Other (remote) possibility (after googling) is leucism.

There are pictures showing the difference between the two here...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36919221 [ Rare albino squirrel pictured in Sussex garden ]

and

http://metro.co.uk/2015/10/26/photo...ne-of-four-white-squirrels-in-the-uk-5462498/ [Leucism]

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

QueensCurve

Established Member
Does Holyrood have a rail connection? If so a Gorilla was seen there recently.:D

1046340960.jpg

CarlSilva

Unusual animals that can be seen from UK trains, yes, er, how about, cows without the usual number of legs, especially ones who have strayed onto the line.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
There is a complete skeleton of a ( deer? ) on the north side of the line near Lenzie which looks as if it has been there for some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.