• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Unusual childhood delicacy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harlesden

A cheese and jam sandwich.
A slice of buttered white bread spread thickly with strawberry jam with freshly grated cheese on top of the jam with the second slice of buttered white bread completing the sandwich.

Menu Disaster
A neighbour of the lady I was staying with in Jamaica served me a nice bowl of Corn Flakes... with CONDENSED milk poured over it. Yuck

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Seacook

A slice of buttered white bread spread thickly with strawberry jam with freshly grated cheese on top of the jam with the second slice of buttered white bread completing the sandwich.

Close but not quite the thing. A cheese and lemon curd sandwich was my preference.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I thought I read "Special Child Delicacy" when I glanced at the title. :shock:

Anyway back on topic, it must be mum's egg fried rice. Not the rubbish you get from takeaways but proper ones with "proper" free range eggs from farms where they only come in small sizes and have very deep yellow yokes (unlike the ones you get these days where they're all bland and only have a very light shade of yellow).

I tried to make it myself these days, but they never come out quite the same. I blame it on the quality of eggs these days. ;)

flymo

Established Member

Actually it sounds quite yummy. Strawberries and Cheese...Hmm gotta try it on the morrow. <D

I developed a taste for Yorkshire Puddings with marmalade in them (doesn't work with Aunt Bessies). But this may not be so odd when you consider they are basically pancakes.

My mum likes banana and marmite sandwiches. Something to do with when she was pregnant with me, and it never went away.

SS4

Established Member
Jam and Cheese and Onion crisp sandwiches
My dad's mince pies
Curry sauce on chips

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
That's just wrong.
It's a bizarre thing that everyone in the Birmingham area[1] seems to do.

[1]Or at least people who originally hail from that area area, hence why I don't partake in this bizarre pastime

tony_mac

Established Member
I thought chips and curry sauce was all over the country - unlike chips & gravy which seems to be just a northern thing.

Curry and chips is definately all over (away from London). Up here in the North East, Chips and Garlic seems to be very popular. I was never convinced, but wow it works.

I discovered in Bath (after a very drunken night) Chips in pitta. They look at you as if you're insane up here if you ask for it.

Mind you, the people of the Tees Valley are mad on Parmo's. Horrid horrid food. Should work. And does work...except in take aways where they deep fry them.

callum112233

I suppose it's only like having crackers with cheese and jam which is epic :p
Crackers with philadelphia and strawberry jam is also epic.

Also, londoners have a few things to learn about good chip shops :D

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I've always liked ginger biscuits with cheddar cheese.

Nothing wrong with chips and curry either, one of my favourites!

The thing round here is cheesy chips - depends where you get them from, but I've never been fully convinced it's nice.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I developed a taste for Yorkshire Puddings with marmalade in them...

In the 1950's where I lived, a favourite children's after dinner sweet was Sticky Yorkshire Pudding, made in a flat oblong metal dish about eighteen inches long by twelve inches wide.

It was about an inch thick and was cut into squares and Tate and Lyle "Golden Syrup" liberally applied on top of it.

westcoaster

Established Member

Menu Disaster
A neighbour of the lady I was staying with in Jamaica served me a nice bowl of Corn Flakes... with CONDENSED milk poured over it. Yuck

My absulute favourite sandwich, got hooked on them as a kid, my nan used to make them for me, even better when she cut them into triangles.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
You know the eggy bread thing where you dip bread in what is basically an omelette mix and pan fry it?

My variation was ( and I still make it occasionally! ) to go one better than plain bread and to dip and pan fry a cheese sandwich. Tastes better than it sounds - honest.:)

red circle

Seems everyone was fed on vast quantities of eggs,yorkie puds,fried everything in lard with extra salt and lashings of syrup and sugar,one question is why are any of us still alive?.
My fave snack ?..A bag of crisps with a good shake of Lea & Perrins.

Michael.Y

Established Member
I used to put vinegar in my Ready Salted crisps.

Chips and curry is alive and well here in Wales, as is chips and garlic mayo.

You can also have gravy, and even have melted cheese with all three combos.

Established Member
Chips and gravy is always a winner, although I do admit to liking curry sauce as well.

I know some people who put tomato ketchup on fish and chips, which in my eyes is sacrilege - it's either salt and vinegar or nothing (maybe tartare sauce).

red circle

Of course, you can actually buy proper Worcester Sauce crisps now - I don't find them too bad either, which is unusual!

You can't beat the real stuff,but back on topic I have never had a sweet tooth,as a kid I hated all soft drinks and would'nt drink tea or coffee at home until my mother tried me on unsweetened tea.As for sweets,nobody ever stole mine at school as I used to buy bars of chocolate that where jet black and bitter as hell (that was in the days when the mention of a 'Mars bar' produced much hillarity).

Bedpan

Established Member
I've just tried a packet of crisps with Lea and Perrins to see what it was like, don't think that I'll bother again (although I do like Worcester Sauce flavoured crisps), but I suppose its all a matter of personal taste.

Whe I was a kid I used to have sugar sandwiches - my Mum made me eat them over the sink.

Also we had eggy bread at school and it was excellent. Haven't had it since though and wouldn't know how to make it. Can you post a recipe for us Peter?

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Also we had eggy bread at school and it was excellent. Haven't had it since though and wouldn't know how to make it. Can you post a recipe for us Peter?

Whisk some eggs in a bowl (cereal bowl preferrably), dunk sliced bread in it, then shove the bread in a frying pan. Easy! You can use other similar utensils.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I add a little bit of milk to the eggs ( not much though )...

If you're trying the cheese sandwhich version, don't use grated cheese...:lol:

Lrd

Established Member
Used to have Peanut butter and Chocolate spread sandwiches, absolutely lovely!

Status
Not open for further replies.