• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

unusual liveries at dawlish (post privation)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sciisfun

Firstly, apologies if this is in the wrong section, torn between here and general railway discussion.

Essentially, been looking at pictures on this website: http://www.dawlishtrains.com/dawlish-sea-wall-collection.html
and I've noticed a few liveries that I wasn't expecting, the three big ones being GNER, NXEC and Midland Mainline?
were these units hired out, or were there summer specials from up north?
I've also noticed Cotswold rail and a One locomotive, however I'm guessing these were probably hired in for rail tours?
finally, I was wondering why there are 4 loco's coupled up (approx 17 rows down in the middle, next to the police train) I'm guessing that there is a loco move?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Harbornite

Established Member
Firstly, apologies if this is in the wrong section, torn between here and general railway discussion.

Essentially, been looking at pictures on this website: http://www.dawlishtrains.com/dawlish-sea-wall-collection.html
and I've noticed a few liveries that I wasn't expecting, the three big ones being GNER, NXEC and Midland Mainline?
were these units hired out, or were there summer specials from up north?
I've also noticed Cotswold rail and a One locomotive, however I'm guessing these were probably hired in for rail tours?
finally, I was wondering why there are 4 loco's coupled up (approx 17 rows down in the middle, next to the police train) I'm guessing that there is a loco move?

Virgin XC occasionally borrowed HSTs from those operators. XC last used an east coast hst in 2014 due to unforseen circumstances.

sprinterguy

Established Member
Such a collection of heritage locos (Two 50s, a 'Western' and a 'Peak') would typically suggest a movement to or from a preserved railway for a diesel gala or a depot open day. The Bodmin and Wenford Railway would be the obvious contender down that neck of the woods, although I'm unsure if it has ever held a diesel gala ambitious enough to feature four visiting locos?

The "One" liveried 47 was operated by Cotswold Rail for a contract they held with the Anglian TOC, although this did not preclude it from turning up on railtour work as and when. Cotswold Rail were a fairly prolific railtour operator during the mid noughties (picking up a lot of work following the demise of Fragonset and latterly FM Rail), which saw their collection of 47s travel far and wide.

As Harbonite mentions, Virgin Crosscountry commonly hired in HST sets from GNER, and later NX East Coast, and Midland Mainline during the summer months to work holidaymaker trains down to the South West. I also recall that Arriva Crosscountry operated a small number of former Midland Mainline HSTs for a short period at the start of their franchise, prior to their own refurbished HSTs entering service.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.