• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Unusual move at Clapham Junction this eve

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjohnson

Just seen a London-bound 442 terminating (?) at platform 13 (usually for Sussex/Croydon bound fast services). How often does that happen?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tsr

Established Member
There has been major disruption on Southern's routes (except for the WLL and Coastways) due to a broken down 442 near Clapham Junction (presumably the one you saw), a broken down train in the Wivelsfield area, a signalling problem closing the Peckham Rye lines, a power supply problem at West Croydon, and finally a signalling problem between East Croydon and Gatwick Airport earlier at the same time as the breakdown at CLJ.

It's been a pretty big mess this evening! Delays have "only" been in the magnitude of 30-60 minutes, though. Cancellations, delays and significant alterations are still ongoing, and I should think these will continue until the end of service on many routes.

GodAtum

On Moderation
There was a broken down train causing sever disruption, had a long journey home! Will fill out the delay repay form.

tsr

Established Member
There was a broken down train causing sever disruption, had a long journey home! Will fill out the delay repay form.

There were reports that a Gatwick Express train was unable to pick up traction current on the Down Fast just south of Clapham Junction. It took some time to move it - as you can see from the OP, it appears it may have terminated some time later by reversing to CLJ. Due to congestion caused by the resulting lack of capacity, services were delayed.

455/8

That will explain what I saw last night then, as I pulled into clapham jct on the up main slow heading towards waterloo I glanced over to the brighton lines and saw a 10 car 442 going wrong road from clapham jct P13 towards stewarts lane.

tsr

Established Member
That will explain what I saw last night then, as I pulled into clapham jct on the up main slow heading towards waterloo I glanced over to the brighton lines and saw a 10 car 442 going wrong road from clapham jct P13 towards stewarts lane.

That sounds like the scenario I would expect!

A friend of mine saw another 442 develop a fault at Purley today. It was stopped dead on one of the Down lines, apparently with the road to go and a queue of trains behind it. Needless to say that problem and the signalling issues at Battersea Park have resulted in a reduction of service (down to half-hourly on GatEx throughout this evening). This was not helped by the earlier closure of Platform 6 at East Croydon and also a big problem with the signalling between Coulsdon South and Purley.

Even the "normals" are beginning to notice the problems with the 442s now. I don't know how much longer they will be tolerated. Thank goodness most of them carry (relatively) very few passengers.

Status
Not open for further replies.