Unusual platform usage

Discussion in 'Traction & Rolling Stock' started by gage75, 2 May 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gage75

gage75 Member

Was passing through Richmond station yesterday at about 1400ish and noticed a 5 car cls378 in the LU platform (P7 I think) on the far side where the District Line trains normally park,
    I was just wondering as to why this would be done

2. bluegoblin7

bluegoblin7 Member

Not particularly unusual anymore; there is a restriction in place that means that the 'new' S7 stock LU trains cannot use P7 at Richmond. Although District line trains are currently formed of both D and S7 stock trains, the signaller has no way of knowing which are approaching Richmond, so all District line trains are currently redirected into platforms 5 or 6, with platforms 3-4 used for London Overground trains and platform 7 generally used to stable LO services.

All generally speaking, of course. As ever, the signaller can (and does) alter services to use whichever platforms are required, albeit noting the S7 restriction mentioned above.

3. TheNewNo2

TheNewNo2 Member

What's the operational reason behind that?

4. hassaanhc

hassaanhc Established Member

The other day was the first time I saw something in P3, and it was an LO, P3 is actually 3rd rail fitted and not 4th rail, and also has a connection to the SWT lines.

5. Dstock7080

Dstock7080 Established Member

In the peak periods LU trains use pfms.4-6.
    The current arrangement of platform restrictions came into operation from 16 January, passenger S Stock is not able to use pfm.7 until civil works are undertaken on the platform.

LU trains are unable to reach pfm.3.

Restriction for LU trains into pfm.7 lifted from 26 May.

Last edited: 24 May 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.