• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Unusual position for a signal....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Met Driver

Established Member
:shock: I wouldn't like to have a SPAD there! It would add a whole new meaning to the phrase 'hitting a stick'! :lol:

'Stick' being LUL parlance for Signal.

Simming

The Best one is that one at one of the terminal stations on the Newcastle metro. Not only do they have a red signal at the end of the platform (next to the buffer stops) but it also has there safty system in the track to make sure nothing spads, and im not to sure though, it may have TPWS as well, to stop over runs. It was in a edition of Liar sometime.

Met Driver

Established Member
Simming said:
The Best one is that one at one of the terminal stations on the Newcastle metro. Not only do they have a red signal at the end of the platform (next to the buffer stops) but it also has there safty system in the track to make sure nothing spads, and im not to sure though, it may have TPWS as well, to stop over runs. It was in a edition of Liar sometime.

What's strange about that? Each siding/terminal station on the Underground has a fixed trainstop, and I thought that most NR termini had TPWS equipment at the bufferstops anyway... :?

Simming

No, This Was Actually At The Buffer Stops not before them. If you over ran the signal, bang!

Craig

Established Member
Simming said:

All Metro termini have signals at the end of the platforms. Here's a photo at South Hylton:
http://railwayman9419.fotopic.net/p17465177.html

Metro's aren't fitted with TPWS, however it is probably installed at South Hylton since that section is owned by Network Rail. The rest of the metro network only has the Indusi system fitted on the tracks.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
This reminds me of a strange ground repeater at Beverley station. It is like a normal signal, but it is reversed like a set of road traffic lights, with the red at the top. I've only ever once seen it change, and that was for a through train.

Any ideas what it's purpose is? I really should get a picture of it.

The Gricer

laverack222 said:
This reminds me of a strange ground repeater at Beverley station. It is like a normal signal, but it is reversed like a set of road traffic lights, with the red at the top.
I think I remember reading somewhere that it is normal practice to have the red aspect closest to the drivers line of vision, thus a signal low down like the one you describe would have the red at the top.

Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.