• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Unusual service at Stoke-on-Trent today

Status
Not open for further replies.

magd1272

Waiting on P1 for the 16:12 to Euston, when the departures screens changed to "next train not for public use." A pendolino arrived from the south, stopped at P1 and dropped its pan. Most but not all passengers got off, and three VT staff loaded lots of water and fruit at the first class end. Repeated announcements telling people not to board, then five mins later the driver changed ends and the train departed south again, with just a few passengers on board. No info on the door screens, other than what looked like a head code (1T09), but this doesn't sound right. Can't find it on realtime trains. Anyone have any idea what this service was?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
There have been diversions between Crewe and Stafford/Colwich today due to a fatality earlier - probably something to do with that.

CheapAndNerdy

This is 1T09. Looks like it was added to the system at very short notice (after it departed Stoke, even). Can't tell where it came from originally in order to have passengers already on board.

magd1272

This is 1T09. Looks like it was added to the system at very short notice (after it departed Stoke, even). Can't tell where it came from originally in order to have passengers already on board.

Interesting, thank you! There were definitely passengers on board, and quite a lot got off, though a few stood in the doorways looking puzzled, and left on the service. The departures screens at Stoke were originally (at about 16:00) showing "Additional service to London Euston" but that then changed (following LM and XC departures) to "Not for public use." Odd not to let people board at Stoke, unless they were expecting crowds of people to join later on in the journey.

1D53

Established Member
1T09 had evacuated passengers from the culprit train involved in the fatality. I imagine they didn't want to inconvenience those already very late and disrupted further by piling on extra passengers. This would also explain the fruit and water being loaded.

brick60000

Something similar happened earlier in the day, with 1U29 (11.19 off Stafford to Euston) reversing in platform 1 at
Stafford to head back towards Stone to reverse, though how far it went past Stone in order to reverse I'm not sure.

The line at Shugborough only reopened an hour or so ago I think - thoughts with all involved.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Train involved was 1A09 09 38 Liverpool to Euston. Number of trains diverted from Colwich via Stoke on Trent and, I presume, Alsager and vice versa. Another Forum states may have been animal rather than person. Decision taken to evacuate to 1T09 provided by LM after being stranded for 4 hours on 1A09.

causton

Established Member
Train involved was 1A09 09 38 Liverpool to Euston. Number of trains diverted from Colwich via Stoke on Trent and, I presume, Alsager and vice versa. Another Forum states may have been animal rather than person. Decision taken to evacuate to 1T09 provided by LM after being stranded for 4 hours on 1A09.

The original report was "possibly a deer" and unfortunately turned out not to be...

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Updating my earlier post re animal, driver thought he had struck a deer in the tunnel but when MOM went to investigate discovered body of human being. Our thoughts for him. Train disable due broken windows and damaged couplings.

Crossover

Established Member
The pan dropping would have been probably related to the change of ends - the trailing (IIRC) pantograph is the one used in service, so on arrival at Stoke, the active one would have swapped

J006J

It was a double fatality in Shugbrough Tunnel. I'm guessing the pressure and the impact popped the 7 or 8 windows out. A set was brought up from Wembley to take passengers to Stoke, either to return to Liverpool or continue the journey south. Thoughts with all involved.

Crossover

Established Member
Out of interest, was the incident set detrained in the middle of nowhere, or did it get moved back to Stafford for transfer of passengers?

J006J

My understanding of it was the fatality set stopped 70 yards outside of tunnel and was train-to-train evacuated on the set that had pulled up besides it.

As the line was still closed the new set was allowed to go back through Stafford to get to Stoke, so i think.

Status
Not open for further replies.