• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Unusual spot at Acton Main Line

Status
Not open for further replies.

tunnie

First post, so be gentle! :D

I live near Great Western, spotted something unusual at Acton Main Line today, thought it was a 180 at first glance (my flat looks down towards Paddington) and I was right it was a 180. Thought it was one due for work at Old Oak Common as FGW are getting them back.

As it got closer I noticed it had an unusual paint job (not seen Grand's livery before), not the one I was expecting to see.

P1010899.JPG

P1010901.JPG

P1010903.JPG

I was wondering why it was heading there? Service? Or has FGW got Grand Central stock too?

Must have come from Marylebone line too :?:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

YorkshireBear

Established Member
THey seem to be moving between all three 180 companies at the moment (FGW FHT GC) due to the ongoing reliability upgrades.

ushawk

Established Member
Would have thought it would be going to OOC for something - what time did you see it ?

NXEA!

That Grand Central 180 is probably 101 which is on hire to Hull Trains to cover for 109/111-113 while each set in turn receives reliability modifications. Hull Trains 180's are maintained at Old Oak Common and will be maintained alongside FGW's 180's when they return this year, so what you probably saw was 101 forming an ecs movement to/from Old Oak Common to/from Kings Cross via Acton Main Line, the chord onto the NLL, then the curve onto the ECML. Hope this helps. :)

Safety365

In the above pictures, the unit is on the down relief (down slow) heading towards Ealing Broadway.

12CSVT

Established Member
On the subject of 180s, 180106 (now in FGW livery) was crew training on the GWML over the weekend

elementalpat

On a similar theme, I was exploring round Google Streeview and I saw a XC Voyager on this route as well.

See for yourselves if you look for The Parkway (A312) and 'drive' up the left side of the bridge and look left.

W-on-Sea

Established Member
180106 has been on training (on a regular schedule, which I think has been published somewhere on here) on a near-daily basis comprising mostly of a few return trips between Oxford and Paddington for a few weeks now.

tunnie

In the above pictures, the unit is on the down relief (down slow) heading towards Ealing Broadway.

It came from the branch from Chiltern line, it came in down relief, but then reversed and switched to the up relief.

Off topic but what a great view to have!!

I'll get some more snaps up, I've seen steam hauled services, Royal train, Network Rail loco hauled (37's i think)

D6700

The working was 5Z80 10:00 Doncaster to Old Oak Common, operated by Hull Trains.

ex-railwayman

I'll get some more snaps up, I've seen steam hauled services, Royal train, Network Rail loco hauled (37's i think)

Yes, please do, your photographs are excellent, I guess it is a little noisy at times with the trains, but, what an outstanding view, and you also get to see what's happening across the way with those barriers marking that plot out, are they building something new there??

Cheerz. ex-railwayman.

tunnie

Yes, please do, your photographs are excellent, I guess it is a little noisy at times with the trains, but, what an outstanding view, and you also get to see what's happening across the way with those barriers marking that plot out, are they building something new there??

Cheerz. ex-railwayman.

Often don't notice any noise, only ones really hear are the 43's gunning it out of Paddington. Heathrow Express/Connect are silent as are the 165/166's generally.

The barriers mark the new station planned for Acton Main Line, the current "station" is that hut on the bridge. That space will be new station, with new bridge built with stairs and lift down.

Going to be good, with 10 trains an hour, and around 12 minutes to Central London. Shame its not due for years :(

Hydro

Established Member
Often don't notice any noise, only ones really hear are the 43's gunning it out of Paddington. Heathrow Express/Connect are silent as are the 165/166's generally.

The barriers mark the new station planned for Acton Main Line, the current "station" is that hut on the bridge. That space will be new station, with new bridge built with stairs and lift down.

Going to be good, with 10 trains an hour, and around 12 minutes to Central London. Shame its not due for years :(

Last night must have been loud. We smashed away towards Hayes and Harlington after coming off the Poplars with 37's. On the way back a rail grinder was working the Up Fast towards Padd and that was making some right racket.

tunnie

Didn't hear any of that, only tend to hear things if i'm standing right by the window. Double glazing stops it all. Had a letter when they re-worked the points into Acton Yard to improve things, they replaced huge sections of track, never heard a thing! Interesting to watch though.

Next time you go through Acton Main Line, any chance of a ride in the cab? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.