• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Unusual Track Features -- A Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr_Paul

Established Member
I've noticed three unusual track features that have been introduced relatively recently, and I wonder if anyone may be able to explain what they are.

On various crossovers, such as at the country end at Wimbledon, there is a metal plate bolted to several of the sleepers in the four foot; it's pretty hefty, half an inch thick or so, and secured by eight large bolts.

Again on various crossovers, such as near Queenstown Road, there is a metal bar clamped or bolted to the sleeper in the four foot; it's at right-angles to the sleeper, about two inches wide and has two inverted V-shaped sections.

At Twickenham, on the up slow line, in the web of the running rail, are small badges (for want of a better word), about an inch square with a circular emblem on them. There are quite a few on them, at roughly six-foot intervals, and are stuck on with an adhesive (a few have fallen off, leaving the adhesive on the rail-web). I've not seen them anywhere else.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
On various crossovers, such as at the country end at Wimbledon, there is a metal plate bolted to several of the sleepers in the four foot; it's pretty hefty, half an inch thick or so, and secured by eight large bolts.
I think what you are describing is where out of gauge track panel bearers are split for delivery. Basically it is a way of prefabricating long bearers that pass across S&C units, the parts are fastened together on site. Typically delivered to site on NR's tilting wagons - note the holes in the concrete bearer ends here:

http://www.networkrail.co.uk/innovation-and-technology.aspx

Again on various crossovers, such as near Queenstown Road, there is a metal bar clamped or bolted to the sleeper in the four foot; it's at right-angles to the sleeper, about two inches wide and has two inverted V-shaped sections.
That sounds like "lateral restraint anchors", discussed every few months, here's a thread with pictures from a few years ago:

http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=65528

At Twickenham, on the up slow line, in the web of the running rail, are small badges (for want of a better word), about an inch square with a circular emblem on them. There are quite a few on them, at roughly six-foot intervals, and are stuck on with an adhesive (a few have fallen off, leaving the adhesive on the rail-web). I've not seen them anywhere else.

Those sound like 'targets' for an automatic surveying instrument known as a total station. Basically an automatic theodolite 'pings' them to check for unplanned movement during nearby building work. I doubt they'd remove them once work was complete, which might explain why a few are missing.

Did they look like any of these? https://www.sccssurvey.co.uk/survey-equipment-accessories/targets/retro-reflective-targets.html

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.