• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Unusual Weekend First (WEF) upgrade question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Hi all.

Odd one here that I would love some advice on. I tend to be, as Im sure many others are the default person that ones close friends, family and associates ask rail related questions of.

A fellow Blindy who like me holds a Scottish Blind Persons Travel Consession Pass which for the uneducated is the same bus consession that over 60s/other disabled persons get but also includes ferry and rail travel
is wondering about doing a weekend First upgrade on a long distance journey between Newcastle and Inverness, using a combination of an Walkup Railcard discounted single from Newcastle to Berwick on Tweed and the blind consession, which is valid to iether Berwick or Carlisle for the rest of the trip.

Can they do a WEF upgrade for the entire trip even though the majoritty of it is free to them using a consession that is clearly stated to only be valid in Standard?

Only scottish govd rule is that the pass only entitles the holder to standard class travel and no mention of offers such as WEF are made for any Toc. Scotrail have never been able to answer this and East Coast claim to have never heard of it. What do the collective experts here think, particularly Scotrail, VTEC or XC guards? Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Sleepy

Established Member
:D well if it was me I would issue the upgrade, everyone happy. Can't understand why anyone on board would want to make a fuss ! :roll::roll::roll:

scotsman

Established Member
I can't see why the upgrade could be issued to the expiry point of the first ticket, with an endorsement added? If Avantix allows it, I can't see why anyone wouldn't issue the upgrade.

For example, other persons entitled to free travel (ie. staff) can upgrade upon payment of the same fee as the public. Can't see why this wouldn't be applied for a free govt pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.