• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Unwanted cycle reservation

Status
Not open for further replies.

krus_aragon

Established Member
I have a cycle reservation for two advance journeys, on Sunday and Monday. I now find myself not needing to take my bike with me, so is there any point in me taking the reservation back to my ticket office (i.e. will they be able to cancel it and offer it to someone else)?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mathmo

I've no idea whether they could - but if it's convenient for you to get to the station, why not try? Otherwise I wouldn't bother as it's now close to the travel date and I would expect most cyclists to try to make reservations earlier than that.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
I've no idea whether they could - but if it's convenient for you to get to the station, why not try?

I don't know either, but would be VERY interested to learn what happends when you try to give back the reservation, krus_aragon.

. . . I would expect most cyclists to try to make reservations earlier than that.
don't say that ! I sometimes want to take my bike on a walk up journey, or on a planned journey booked just a few days in advance. So I, for one, would benefit if unwanted bike reservations were surrendered!
BTW I've been impressed that NXEC staff have been willing to add a bike reservation at the last minute to a ticket previously booked on-line without a bike.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
NXEC are "reservations only" and therefore available up to the moment of departure.

Most reservable TOCs have some (usually 2 or 3) places available in advance but these close the night before. There are then sometimes additional places available on the day on an "as available" basis with people that have reservations taking priority. This is the case on TPE for example.

TOCs that are not reservable are simply on a first come basis, but on Northern I got the impression that on infrequent routes they give priority to any passengers travelling on the infrequent section e.g. I once got a once-a-day train Leeds to Goole getting off at Snaith (one per day) and there were not enough bike spaces. We were all asked where we were going and the person who was going to somewhere like Pontefract had to get a different train (he was last to arrive anyway but I suspect if we'd arrived last we would have been given priority - hence why the question was asked).

Status
Not open for further replies.