• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Up to 20% fare increase for Cheshire & North Wales bus fares next week

Status
Not open for further replies.

pemma

Veteran Member
GHA and Vale Travel are increasing the cost of their adult/day tickets by 50p and family day tickets by £1 which represents increases of 11.1% to 20%.

The weekly tickets are increasing by 50p to £2 which represents increases of 5.9% to 13.3%.

The changes become active on 5th March.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pemma

Veteran Member
A GHA/Vale Travel adult day ticket will be 10p less than an Arriva adult North West day ticket but the GHA/Vale Travel North West child day ticket will be 70p more than the Arriva child day ticket.

I can't find the Arriva weekly ticket prices anywhere so can't compare them.

martinsh

Established Member
A GHA/Vale Travel adult day ticket will be 10p less than an Arriva adult day ticket but the GHA/Vale Travel child day ticket will be 70p more than the Arriva child day ticket.

I'll have to check out how normal fares compare. GHA run a service past my house but I've never been on it as it's only every 2 hours [ compared with Arriva and D & G both every 30 mins ]

pemma

Veteran Member
And all a damn sight cheaper than First Manchester, SLT and Maytree Travel, so quit moaning...!

Cheaper than First Manchester? You mean the SAME PRICE as First Manchester and considerably more than JPT, Maytree and SLT charge in Greater Manchester. JPT are a fair comparison with GHA/Vale Travel, considering frequency and number of routes.

Don't Arriva also have a cheaper day ticket price for the Greater Manchester area?

Nym

Established Member
Arriva may well do, but they only operate two or three routes, and the routes they do work are at much lower frequencies to First or Stagecoach. (Unlike JPT, Maytree and SLT).

An SLT Day Saver is about £1 cheaper than First and have comparable service intervals on quite a lot of routes now. But if anyone on a route like mine (With three operators, 6bph First, 5bph SLT, 4bph Maytree) not getting a multimodal ticket from System One (that isn't much more expensive) is a silly thing to do, if you want to save money, go with an SLT only ticket, the're the cheapest. £4/day IIRC. First are nearly £5/day now IIRC.

pemma

Veteran Member
First are nearly £5/day now IIRC.

£4.50 per day according to their website. The same as GHA/Vale Travel passengers will now pay, who don't get the option of cheaper PTE tickets or multi-operator tickets.

Arriva may well do, but they only operate two or three routes

2 or 3!

16 - Manchester - Sale - Altrincham
18 - Trafford Centre - Sale - Manchester Airport - Altrincham
19 - Altrincham - Sale - Manchester Airport
42A - Reddish - East Didsbury
70 - Manchester - Salford - Clifton
84 - Chorlton - Manchester
130 - Manchester - Macclesfield
138 - Bury - Manchester
245 - Altrincham - Sale - Flixton
247 - Altrincham - Eccles
263,264 - Manchester - Trafford Bar - Altrincham
370 - Altrincham - Stockport
507 - Harwood - Bolton
510 - Bury - Bolton
519 - Johnson Fold - Bolton
534 - Oldhams Estate - Bolton
535 - Bolton - Belmont
537 - Edgworth - Andrew Lane - Bolton
538 - Bolton - Andrew Lane - Dunscar - Bolton
539 - Bolton - Dunscar - Andrew Lane - Bolton
541 - Toppings Estate - Bolton
561 - Bolton - Withins - Bolton
562 - Bolton - Withins - Bolton
575 - Bolton - Wigan
715 - Bolton - Westhoughton - Wigan
ML1 - Stretford Metrolink - The Trafford Centre

Last edited by a moderator:

Nym

Established Member
Think I misread it as "Increasing by 50p to £2" in isolation there... D'OH!

Read as: "Increasing by 50p (from £1.50 to £2)" rather than "Increasing by amounts between 50p and £2"

So, it's coming into line with the costs of other operators, boohoo...

pemma

Veteran Member
So, it's coming into line with the costs of other operators, boohoo...

Coming in line with the second most expensive operator in the Greater Manchester area and as you said yourself people in GM making multiple journeys get better ticket options available.

The main issue here isn't the price but the % increase. Some people are going to have to pay 20% more next week than they did this week. Imagine if you went to the supermarket and found that something that wasn't on offer costed £5 last week and this week it's £6.

Nym

Established Member
The main issue here isn't the price but the % increase. Some people are going to have to pay 20% more next week than they did this week. Imagine if you went to the supermarket and found that something that wasn't on offer costed £5 last week and this week it's £6.

I find that almost every week, and have a **** about it to myself...

WestCoast

Established Member
I don't think First Manchester should be a benchmark for pricing. Having said that, there are all sorts of incentives within PTE areas as well, outside PTE areas there are often absolutely no multi-operator tickets.

Mind you, I am the only one who thinks that the Arriva North West Day ticket is quite cheap at £4.60 adult / £2.30 child?!

A roughly equivalent ticket would be the Stagecoach Lancashire Dayrider at £6.50 (no child fare) and it's only valid after 9am (so no use for commuting!). Plus, Stagecoach have a number of singles that are dearer than the local day ticket (e.g. £4.30 single or £3.50 dayrider is the fare on the route I use).

pemma

Veteran Member
Mind you, I am the only one who think that the Arriva North West Day ticket is quite cheap at £4.60?!

Depends how much use you can get out of it. If there's only one or two Arriva routes in your area then no but if there are loads then yes.

WestCoast

Established Member
Depends how much use you can get out of it. If there's only one or two Arriva routes in your area then no but if there are loads then yes.

But you can get local day tickets in some areas (e.g. Liverpool Zone, Manchester Zone), which cover quite a bit.

I haven't seen a decent day ticket below £3.00 in quite a while. Lothian Buses, who are traditionally one of the cheapest city bus operators in the whole of UK, are now charging £3.50 for an adult day ticket.

A fact of rising fuel prices in a deregulated market, and buses are not seen as an essential mode of transport by some authorities.

Welshman

Established Member
GHA and Vale Travel are increasing the cost of their adult/day tickets by 50p and family day tickets by £1 which represents increases of 11.1% to 20%.

The changes become active on 5th March.

Is this as a result of the Welsh Assembly Government's relatively-late announcement of their intention to cut B.S.O.G. by 20%?

pemma

Veteran Member
Is this as a result of the Welsh Assembly Government's relatively-late announcement of their intention to cut B.S.O.G. by 20%?

I don't know if that had an influence but the subsidy cut wouldn't affect a lot of their Cheshire services. The new fares are for all their services.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
But you can get local day tickets in some areas (e.g. Liverpool Zone, Manchester Zone), which cover quite a bit.

There isn't a local day ticket that covers towns like Northwich, Winsford, Middlewich, Macclesfield and Wilmslow.

transmanche

Established Member
I haven't seen a decent day ticket below £3.00 in quite a while. Lothian Buses, who are traditionally one of the cheapest city bus operators in the whole of UK, are now charging £3.50 for an adult day ticket.
I have to say that the TfL Bus & Tram daily price cap of £4.20 on Oyster is damn good value, when you consider what you get for it

pemma

Veteran Member
Looking at Cheshire East areas above, Macclesfield still has Arriva as the major operator of bus services in that area and Wilmslow is served by their 130 Manchester to Macclesfield service.

Arriva have reduced the operations in Cheshire from what they were.

They obviously did have what were originally North Western (subsidiary of Cowie) bus routes. They also acquired the Star Line Travel operations around the Knutsford and Altrincham areas and the Nova Scotia operations in the Northwich area. I remember when they took over Nova Scotia they started using the Arriva buses which were being used on former Star Line routes on the Nova Scotia routes and the Nova Scotia buses on the Star Line routes - not even debranded!

Stevensons that used to operate around the Macclesfield area also became part of Arriva but I think some routes got passed down to BakerBus. There's some images and information on Stevensons here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/22455491@N02/6247742096/

Status
Not open for further replies.