• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Upcoming Medical Query (eyesight)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FManc

Hi,
I have a medical for a trainee driver role coming up soon and I just have a quick query in regards to my eyesight. I wear glasses and I think my prescription is around -5.75/-6 in both eyes (it’s been stable for about 15 years now). I remember reading the maximum limit is -8 for train driving.

My appointment form just says to bring your glasses if you wear them. Would it be advisable to obtain a copy of my prescription if I go to the opticians this week? Or will they be able to get the info they need at the medical without it?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Driver2B

Requirements include:
* distance: 6/6 using both eyes and no worse than 6/12 in the weaker eye (spectacles permitted to meet this)
* near: N8 using both eyes (spectacles permitted to meet this)
* maximum corrective lenses: hypermetropia +5, myopia -8

They ask you to bring glasses with you.

They don't ask you to bring a recent prescription with you but it's always best to be prepared, if possible! I would bring one, if it were me!

Stigy

Established Member
Hi,
I have a medical for a trainee driver role coming up soon and I just have a quick query in regards to my eyesight. I wear glasses and I think my prescription is around -5.75/-6 in both eyes (it’s been stable for about 15 years now). I remember reading the maximum limit is -8 for train driving.

My appointment form just says to bring your glasses if you wear them. Would it be advisable to obtain a copy of my prescription if I go to the opticians this week? Or will they be able to get the info they need at the medical without it?
Although I shouldn’t be worrying about this as I don’t have a job offer of sorts, like you the eyesight is the main thing that’s worrying me about a medical too. I would suggest taking a copy of your prescription anyway, and have it stamped/endorsed by your optician to verify your standard of vision. The only reason I say this, is because it’s not uncommon to be referred back to the optician anyway should the TOC wish to query your level of vision. I had this done when I joined the railway 12-years ago. Although not a driver medical, I was required to hold PTS so still needed to meet the eyesight standards required. I needed new glasses, which I got, but failed with the new glasses because they were so new, plus the equipment they used to test the eyesight was so archaic :)

FManc

Requirements include:
* distance: 6/6 using both eyes and no worse than 6/12 in the weaker eye (spectacles permitted to meet this)
* near: N8 using both eyes (spectacles permitted to meet this)
* maximum corrective lenses: hypermetropia +5, myopia -8

They ask you to bring glasses with you.

They don't ask you to bring a recent prescription with you but it's always best to be prepared, if possible! I would bring one, if it were me!

Yeah I think I’ll book an appointment for peace of mind!

heedfan

Definitely take a copy of your prescription and get it updated if it’s fairly old - they may well want a copy for their files anyway. It’s the part I was most worried about too and I understand your anxiety. My eyesight is broadly similar to yours (-4.25/5.25) and I was absolutely fine, both with any without glasses.

FManc

Definitely take a copy of your prescription and get it updated if it’s fairly old - they may well want a copy for their files anyway. It’s the part I was most worried about too and I understand your anxiety. My eyesight is broadly similar to yours (-4.25/5.25) and I was absolutely fine, both with any without glasses.

Funnily enough I just looked at my last prescription card and it’s from April
2017 when the whole VTEC thing was going on! It was -5.5/-6 then and I remember the lady saying I would pass the required standard after the test.
I haven’t noticed a change since then but I’ve booked in for an appointment tomorrow to ease my mind and get an up-to-date prescription card.

Stigy

Established Member
Can anybody advise whether the eyesight requirements differ between drivers and other safety critical roles? I know driver medicals as a whole have extra items (such as an ECG), but wondered specifically about the eyesight?

Established Member
Can anybody advise whether the eyesight requirements differ between drivers and other safety critical roles? I know driver medicals as a whole have extra items (such as an ECG), but wondered specifically about the eyesight?
There are differences, I'm not sure what they are but there are differences

Driver2B

Hi,

Unfortunately, it's hard to know without comparing a driver with a specific other safety critical role.

The over-arching guidance is here: https://www.rssb.co.uk/rgs/standards/GOGN3655 Iss 2.pdf (Live)

The standards for drivers are here: https://www.rssb.co.uk/rgs/standards/RIS-3451-TOM Iss 1.pdf (Live)
The standards for train movement (but not mainline driving) are here: https://www.rssb.co.uk/rgs/standards/RIS-3452-TOM Iss 1.pdf (Live)

I'm not sure if https://www.rssb.co.uk/railway-grou...*) OR rgsolDocumentInternalNumber:"medical*") might help you, but they don't appear to have anything up-to-date for many safety critical roles. (The guidance for both guards and drivers is available for archive purposes, but was withdrawn on 31 December 1999!)

Hope somebody else can help a little more!

Stigy

Established Member
Thanks for the advice! I don’t want to hijack this thread more than I have, but figured this was kind of relevant generically. My eyes are within the parameters for driving (I’ve just had a copy of my prescription printed off), just worried about the other stuff not shown on the prescription. I guess the prescription gives an overview of nothibg else.

Driver2B

Thanks for the advice! I don’t want to hijack this thread more than I have, but figured this was kind of relevant generically. My eyes are within the parameters for driving (I’ve just had a copy of my prescription printed off), just worried about the other stuff not shown on the prescription. I guess the prescription gives an overview of nothibg else.

Absolutely! Just because you have 6/6 or even better vision in each eye unaided, it doesn't mean that occupational health at a TOC won't send you to opticians to check requirements which opticians say are completely irrelevant!

FManc

So my TOC asked me to go to the opticians before my medical just to make sure I reach the standard. I went a couple of days ago and I passed everything and the optician has signed off the paperwork. That is a massive weight off my shoulders! I wonder if I’ll still be tested at my medical next week! Not an issue eitherway.

Status
Not open for further replies.