Upcoming strike action affecting ScotRail - information on services.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cf111

Established Member
Mod Note: This thread is for discussing the impact of the intended industrial action. It is not for discussing the rights or wrongs of DOO, unions, management, their tactics strikes in general or the reason for the dispute. Any such posts are liable for deletion.

ScotRail have released information on which services they will be running during the upcoming strike action commencing 21st June:

The next strike days are:

• Sunday 7 August
  • Monday 8 August
  • Thursday 11 August
  • Saturday 13 August
  • Sunday 14 August

Information on services can be found here: http://www.scotrail.co.uk/about-scotrail/news/industrial-action-21-june-latest-information

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

I presume that this dispute is also behind the plethora of services currently being cancelled - particularly on Sundays - due to staff shortages.

mr_towers

Mine is significantly. Solidarity to the guards and I hope it all turns out well - but I'm working from home.

Haig paxton

Anyone in the know able to say if VTEC are going to run North of Edinburgh or will they cansle due to too many pax potentially causing safetey and overcrouding issues?

Surely East Coast and CrossCountry will run a normal service?

There is no reason not to, they are not involved in this action at all

gsnedders

Established Member
Interesting most of the DOO services are running fine! (I thought this was a strike of RMT members, not just guards who are RMT members?)

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Interesting most of the DOO services are running fine! (I thought this was a strike of RMT members, not just guards who are RMT members?)

The vast majority of drivers will be in ASLEF so even if it is all RMT members it'll have a low impact in terms of drivers.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
On topick good on them for at least trying to bustitute some services, this is think above and beyond whats usual? Buses or not though its going to be a nasty few days given Scottish schools start breaking up this week and if the second lot of strikes next month happen the summer holidays are not going to be much fun

Last edited by a moderator:

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I've deleted a few posts as I believe that it's best to keep this thread for information on services as per the title.

I don't think that this is the place to discuss unions, management, their tactics or the reasons for the dispute.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
I've deleted a few posts as I believe that it's best to keep this thread for information on services as per the title.

I don't think that this is the place to discuss unions, management, their tactics or the reasons for the dispute.

While I totally agree, I for one am not at all clear as to the RMT reasons for their action and I can't see it mentioned in this thread. Which thread should I go to for any discussion over the action in Scotland ?

Starmill

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
If the Highland Chieftain is to be the only train all day to or from Inverness I hate to think on what it will be like!

74A

How does the strike day service compare with what First Scot Rail were able to run last time there was a strike about the same issue ? It was in 2010 I believe. (There may even be a thread on here somewhere !)

Carlisle

Established Member
How does the strike day service compare with what First Scot Rail were able to run last time there was a strike about the same issue ? It was in 2010 I believe. (There may even be a thread on here somewhere !)

I certainly remember last time a number of services ran on the Glasgow-Dumfries -Carlusle route whereas it's showing nothing operated by Scotrail this time

thenorthern

Established Member
I am planning on visiting Livingston on Tuesday, given that the Shotts Line will be closed I take it I will be better going to Livingston North rather than Livingston South?

gsnedders

Established Member
I am planning on visiting Livingston on Tuesday, given that the Shotts Line will be closed I take it I will be better going to Livingston North rather than Livingston South?

Likely. Livingston North should have a normal service.

sharpinf

I have an advance ticket for the 17:13 Kyle to Inverness service on the 25th that's scheduled for an RRB substitute. Looking at the roads online I can't see how any large vehicle can navigate them so my question is if there are too many people for the bus's capacity are Scotrail still obligated to find transport for those ticketholders that can't fit on? As beautiful as it is would rather not have an impromptu night under the stars there! Thanks

cf111

Established Member
I have an advance ticket for the 17:13 Kyle to Inverness service on the 25th that's scheduled for an RRB substitute. Looking at the roads online I can't see how any large vehicle can navigate them so my question is if there are too many people for the bus's capacity are Scotrail still obligated to find transport for those ticketholders that can't fit on? As beautiful as it is would rather not have an impromptu night under the stars there! Thanks

They will either have to get you to Inverness in a taxi or if they can't do that, put you up in a hotel as per the National Rail Conditions of Carriage.

I was supposed to be travelling from Inverness to Aberdeen on the 3rd of July but the timetable on the website is unclear as to whether it applies to Sundays or not, so I've bought myself a ticket to Aberdeen on the bus for the princely sum of £1.00 plus 50p booking fee. Three and three quarter hours on the bus though :cry:.

matchmaker

Established Member

I don't think a bus or buses will have any problem travelling from Inverness to Kyle...

We even have tarmac roads up here now! :roll:

cf111

Established Member
Apparently management forgot to book replacement buses for the Mallaig line services - I would hate to be the member of staff at Mallaig station today.

I have had poor experiences with ScotRail and replacement buses (under First) so I am very wary of using them when such a service is advertised, even well in advance.

LowLevel

Established Member
The Borders Railway seems to be running an hourly service. Some photos going around Twitter of an unfortunate manager being filmed dispatching against a red signal at Tweedbank in front of the picket line which caused a cancellation.

Apparently management forgot to book replacement buses for the Mallaig line services - I would hate to be the member of staff at Mallaig station today.

As far as I'm aware Scotrail stated in one of their press releases that they would not be providing replacement bus services for strike affected lines.

BestWestern

Established Member
The Borders Railway seems to be running an hourly service. Some photos going around Twitter of an unfortunate manager being filmed dispatching against a red signal at Tweedbank in front of the picket line which caused a cancellation.

Much respect to that Driver for ensuring that the proper procedures were followed, and I sincerely hope the company followed that up by doing the same (mediscreen etc).

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
My uncle is going to Oban next Monday. That isn't a strike day, but could there still be disruption following Saturday and Sunday?

Status
Not open for further replies.