• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Update on the Oversea A4s (60008 & 60010)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simon Poole

The A4s based in USA and Canada 60008 Dwight D. Eisenhower and 60010 Dominion Of Canada will be expected in the UK during September of this year.

The Railway Magazine
The Railway Magazine - August 2012 Issue said:
In Montreal 60010 will need to be moved only a short distance for loading while 60008 will have to be propelled about half a mile to a loading point once released from its current building.

A special flat wagon will then carry each one in turn to Halifax both locomotives are within the north American loading gauge.

Both A4s will be shipped in late August but 60008 will be moved to Halifax first in July before the rail flat car proceeds to Montreal to extract 60010.

The locos will meet up at the docks and sailing will be in August with the arrival of the 2 A4s at Liverpool Docks in early September and hopefully with a private ceremony, won’t be public due to security arrangements within the port)

Both A4s will travel on a back of a lorry from Liverpool Docks to Andrew Goodman’s yard near Birmingham for examination and preparations before their final onward journey to NRM York and Locomotion, 60010 will travel to Shildon while 60008 will travel to NRM York for Cosmetic restoration, also 60010 apparently will be transformed from Brunswick BR Green to LNER Garter Blue with Canadian Bell on the front and Chime Whistle, both A4s will join 4468 Mallard at the NRM in early 2013 on Display, then current plan but it might change is to have ALL 6 A4s at the NRM for 1 month together, the final event would take place at Locomotion in early 2014 and after the event, 60008 and 60010 will be leaving Shildon for Green Bay (USA) and Montreal.

This is the current plan after reading about it in The Railway Magazine but it could change in due course

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Schnellzug

Established Member
Wuld it be churlish to wonder how much this is costing, and what the NRM might have been able to spend it on? Yes, I suppose it would. It's like the Olympics, isn't it.

LE Greys

Established Member
Well, they'll probably make something out of all the people (myself included) going to see the line-up and making donations. Because, whatever happens, I will be there.

gazthomas

Established Member
Wuld it be churlish to wonder how much this is costing, and what the NRM might have been able to spend it on? Yes, I suppose it would. It's like the Olympics, isn't it.
I think they have sponsorship for most if not all of the cost.

60008 and 60010 should be docked sometime today, their ship has popped up on marine traffic, they are on Atlantic Conveyor. The ship is just passing Rosslare, not long now and they'll be home.

The ship is arriving at Liverpool now, a tug is just helping it in (no not a class 60 lol), apparently they will be last to be unloaded so probs be in the morning when they come off, 60008 and 60010 are home folks after 45 years!

Simon Poole

agreed on that, welcome home 60008 & 60010!

Quote from Heritage Railway's facebook
EXILED A4 streamlined Pacifics No. 60008 Dwight D. Eisenhower and No. 60010 Dominion of Canada will be taken one by one to the Locomotion museum at Shildon once they arrive at Liverpool late on Tuesday.

Set to be unloaded at 7am on Wednesday behind closed doors – members of the public will not be admitted to the dockside – the pair must wait for customs clearance before being taken by low loader to Shildon.

Because of sheer pressure of work, haulier Moveright International, which has handled the repatriation of the pair on behalf of the National Railway Museum, will have only one low loader available.

Best estimates are that one of the A4s may leave Liverpool Docks on Thursday afternoon. The low loader will take it to Shildon before returning for the other.
The second A4 may now reach Shildon on Saturday. At Shildon, they are to be immediately placed on public display, with free admission.

They have been borrowed from their museum homes in North America for two years in order to help the NRM celebrate sister locomotive Mallard’s world steam record run 75th anniversary in 2013.

All six surviving A4s will be lined up at the NRM in York and at Shildon.

plippy

From looking at them on the low loader looks like they'll be transported uncovered by road?

I'd love to see these hurtling along the M62, does anyone know their route to shildon and a time?

plippy

That isn't the trailer they will be moved on.
Its just the trailer used for on board ship.

Er... Ok. The latest photos from Moveright International show them on a trailer about to leave Liverpool. I don't know if its the same trailer they used to unboard the ship or not. They are on a trailer about to go to Shildon via the road.

Found the route to be M58, M6, A66... no M62 and nowhere near me so I won't be bothering to try and spot today's move.

Sidmouth34010

Afternoon all

With the arrival of both 60008 and 60010 the unique and probably unrepeatable opportunity of reuniting them with 60009 and staging the ultimate A4 line up of the BR Green liveried examples . I have the agreement of all parties to make this happen , but our window of opportunity is literally two weeks .

There will be two evening shoots with the iconic line up only available to participants , the monies raised going directly too the movement costs of 60009 . If you are interested and would like details please send me a message as soon as you read this and i'll forward on full details

regards

Martin

Teaboy1

Yes pray do tell !!
If its £25 I shall be happy to cough-up, if its £125 ... forget it !! I know the shipping cost would have been biblical but most of us are a bit hard-up at the mo....!

I was at Shildon yesterday and overheard someone saying Friday Union of South Africa arrives. Likewise, £25 would be just about acceptable.

Also overheard someone quoting £60 when all six are lined up. Hopefully thats not the case.

Sidmouth34010

The event is now full such has been the demand . Cost per night of my event was £60 because it was preferred to have limited numbers on an evening shoot to allow everyone to get the shot they want . to make this happen has not been cheap and with the limits of numbers applied at the cost charged has just about covered the costs

hope this helps

dubscottie

The long drawn out overhaul of 4472 is a ruse and we will be surprised by 4468 back in steam using 4472's boiler.

Ok time to wake up..stop dreaming!

LE Greys

Established Member
A friend of mine visited Shildon during the week and sent me a couple of pictures of 60008 and 60010. I have put them on my Flickr site and this is the first one; clicking on it will enlarge it and take you to the other one :

RD7742. 60008 Dwight D. Eisenhower at Shildon. by Ron Fisher, on Flickr

Hope that they are of interest.

Nice pictures :D ! Looks like Dominion of Canada needs a good clean! But then, we're used to immaculate steam locos, so perhaps she is closer to their 'natural' condition (or so my dad tells me).

Status
Not open for further replies.