• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Updated Whistle board

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unstoppable

On Moderation
whistle.jpg

I do apologise about the poor quality of the above image. I haven't come across this type of Whistle board before. This example is on the up line at Cardross station. The W board protects a foot crossing. Seems a recent thing this 'stopping' message was applied to it. Is this a new thing on the network?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tomnick

Established Member
View attachment 82339

I do apologise about the poor quality of the above image. I haven't come across this type of Whistle board before. This example is on the up line at Cardross station. The W board protects a foot crossing. Seems a recent thing this 'stopping' message was applied to it. Is this a new thing on the network?
Does anyone know whether there’s a local instruction (in the Sectional Appendix) applicable? We’ve got one location with two whistle boards, one just before a station and one just after it, protecting a pair of foot crossings beyond the second whistle board. A local instructions states that trains stopping at the station may disregard the first whistle board, presumably as there’s not much point since you’re about to stop in the station and in that case the second whistle board provides adequate warning time for both crossings. Could this be something along similar lines - a whistle board for non-stopping trains and a later one for stopping trains?

Flange Squeal

Established Member
I’ve not seen a written message accompanying a whistle board before, but it would certainly make sense. On my patch we have a station with a foot crossing immediately at the end of the platforms, and a second one a short distance away. There are two close but separate whistle boards on the approach, with a local instruction that you only sound the horn if you are not stopping. If you are stopping, then you disregard the whistle boards and just ‘blow up’ when ready to depart.

We also have a, I believe, fairly rare arrangement in another location where you have two whistle boards on the same post, one above the other. This signifies a requirement to sound both high and low tones.

choochoochoo

Established Member
I’ve not seen a written message accompanying a whistle board before, but it would certainly make sense. On my patch we have a station with a foot crossing immediately at the end of the platforms, and a second one a short distance away. There are two close but separate whistle boards on the approach, with a local instruction that you only sound the horn if you are not stopping. If you are stopping, then you disregard the whistle boards and just ‘blow up’ when ready to depart.

We also have a, I believe, fairly rare arrangement in another location where you have two whistle boards on the same post, one above the other. This signifies a requirement to sound both high and low tones.

I always use two tones at whistleboards. It was also suggest by ASLEF a few years back to revert back to this.

Flange Squeal

Established Member
I always use two tones at whistleboards. It was also suggest by ASLEF a few years back to revert back to this.
Indeed, I received the circular too. I also recall on a ‘company day’ watching a video including a new gadget on trial at some crossings at the time that would mimic a train horn... a two-tone train horn no less! The whistle boards in question will presumably have been set up in that way due to the fact that one tone is still considered compliant with the rules, though.

Unstoppable

On Moderation
Does anyone know whether there’s a local instruction (in the Sectional Appendix) applicable? We’ve got one location with two whistle boards, one just before a station and one just after it, protecting a pair of foot crossings beyond the second whistle board. A local instructions states that trains stopping at the station may disregard the first whistle board, presumably as there’s not much point since you’re about to stop in the station and in that case the second whistle board provides adequate warning time for both crossings. Could this be something along similar lines - a whistle board for non-stopping trains and a later one for stopping trains?
Interestingly an express train passed through and sounded the horn at this W board with 'Stopping' on it

Legolash2o

Below is from the Sectional Appendix

Whistle boards are provided on left of drivers, on each rail approach to BAINFIELD pedestrian user worked level crossing (19 miles 820 yards), as follows. :-

Up line

The board at the Glasgow end of Cardross Up platform applies only to trains stopping at Cardross station,

and

the board 350 yards on the Craigendoran side of the crossing applies only to trains not stopping at Cardross station.

Down line

the board 350 yards on the Dalreoch side of the crossing applies to all Down direction trains

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Indeed, I received the circular too. I also recall on a ‘company day’ watching a video including a new gadget on trial at some crossings at the time that would mimic a train horn... a two-tone train horn no less! The whistle boards in question will presumably have been set up in that way due to the fact that one tone is still considered compliant with the rules, though.

Presumably that's better, as it eliminates the effect of the train horn having to travel distance through different weather / atmospheric conditions etc. and gives a more consistent and clear audible warning at the crossing.

scotraildriver

Established Member
This one at Cardross has been here about a year. Network Rail wanted to close the foot crossing after someone was killed chasing his dog which was on the line. There is a footbridge 30 yards away and an AHB crossing at the station but locals objected claiming they had rights to the beach without having to use the bridge or walk to the adjacent AHB level crossing. As a result these boards were erected, there is a 45mph PSR in the other direction as sighting is poor. Therefore non stop trains must sound their horn before the station, stopping services sound theirs on departure.

Status
Not open for further replies.