• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Upminster - Llanwrytd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Essexman

Established Member
I want to travel from Upminster to Llanwrytd as follows:

Leave 17th April (lunchtime)
Overnight Bristol
On to Llanwrytd 18th
Overnight Llanwrtd
Return 20th via Shreswbury & Birmingham Moor Street.

Any permitted route Super Off-Peak return is £76. It says I can break journey but outward travel has to be on date specified, so I assume that doens't allow an overnight stop.

I assume that Swansea via Bristol Temple Meads is permitted.

Would the best option be to buy the Super Off-Peak Return but also an advance from London to Bristol (currently £18) & use Oyster card to Paddington?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SS4

Established Member
I would buy the super off-peak return but get an advance from Upminster to Bristol. A through ticket would protect you against delays on LUL and actually seems to be around the £16 mark. The downside would be the (IMO) excessive interchange time that is given on the Tube.

NRES suggests returning via Shrewsbury and Birmingham is allowed.

Maps CA+CS (since Craven Arms passes the fares check) permit Craven Arms - Shrewsbury - Wolverhampton - Birmingham - Banbury - Marylebone.

Last edited:

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
An Upminster to Llanwrytd Super-Off-Peak-Return has restriction http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/pdfs/SSR_YN.pdf

This clearly allows an overnight break of journey on day one, provided you resume your journey before 12:00 on day two.

You can travel via Bristol and then either Swansea or Craven Arms.
You can also travel via Crewe if you wish.

Essexman

Established Member
An Upminster to Llanwrytd Super-Off-Peak-Return has restriction http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/pdfs/SSR_YN.pdf

This clearly allows an overnight break of journey on day one, provided you resume your journey before 12:00 on day two.

You can travel via Bristol and then either Swansea or Craven Arms.
You can also travel via Crewe if you wish.

So I can do it all on the Super Off-Peak Advance. I'll be leaving Bristol at about 9am on Day 2. I can see a 'discussion' with a guard over it though.

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
So I can do it all on the Super Off-Peak Advance. I'll be leaving Bristol at about 9am on Day 2. I can see a 'discussion' with a guard over it though.

You mean Super-Off-Peak-Return not Advance, I assume. You have to be careful with railway ticket names because Advance tickets would NOT let you break your journey.

You should be able to book an intinerary on line with an overnight stop by choosing a late departing service from Upminster. I have done similar journeys stopping overnight in Hereford.

At the least, take a printout of the restriction code link that I posted - this comes from the National Rail site which is the "definitive source" :)

Essexman

Established Member
Yes sorry not advance, just what I still think of as a Saver.

I'm not bothered about booking seats but need to be in Bristol in time to see West Ham play City.

I'll take the print out with me.

Many thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.